Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the question(s) for today....RZR S 2010 Purple Power--

I ride at 5000 feet +/- 1000 feet. I understand that the clutch is set for 3000 feet or less from the factory. Now, I purchased my RZR at 6000 feet....shouldn't the dealer that sold it to me be compliant to the altitude?

Next question...a bit more techincal... Can improper clutching cause overheating of the CVT to the point of buring out the belt prematurely?

Last question...What would be the best way to ventaliate (or get more cool air), into the CVT.

Thanks,

JoG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been experimenting with this also,i try to keep my rpm's around 5900-6000.reducing the weights in the front clutch helps(if you go to far down you can burn your belt,i did anyway)and i also ended up going with a stiffer rear spring to help get the rpm's up.Do a search,ton's of good info on this site

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
I'm wondering how bad it makes the belt slip if it just gets wet but you have good drain holes?Is it impossible to get across a stream if the clutch is in the water.But as soon as you pull out it drains?Hope I'm not hi jacking your thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been experimenting with this also,i try to keep my rpm's around 5900-6000.reducing the weights in the front clutch helps(if you go to far down you can burn your belt,i did anyway)and i also ended up going with a stiffer rear spring to help get the rpm's up.Do a search,ton's of good info on this site
Thanks for the input. I learned that they changed the clutch (after '08) to the same one that Polaris uses on the Ranger! Can you believe it! So that might explain why there have been so many issues.

I've got an appointment for my RZR at the local dealer at the end of the month. $175 for new grease, and a total go through. After that, it's getting clutched.

We will see... (sigh)

JoG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ride at 5000 plus feet most of the year ,i am running 56 gram weights ,i also have 3' holes drilled in the top of my clutch cover for cooling ,Polaris does not ship them with the proper weights for this altitude .Frank
Ok...we were thinking about running some sort of pvc arrangement from the air intake to the clutch. About as high as the seats, with an air filter or screen. There are screens that are used on heppa filters that could be 'fabracated' for this arrangement. Then again, waterproffing is paramount.

Hummmm....It's going to be a tight arrangement, but we will see... :think:

JoG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm wondering how bad it makes the belt slip if it just gets wet but you have good drain holes?Is it impossible to get across a stream if the clutch is in the water.But as soon as you pull out it drains?Hope I'm not hi jacking your thread.
IMO the CVT is not ment to get wet...rust, and random sand and all ya know. If you look at the 'cooling(NOT)' system that Polaris is using, it is just not adequate. The plumbing is too close to the motor. Hence, it sucks in all the hot air from that area. This doesn't make any sense to us. (sigh)

JoG.

·
Administrator
50,255 Posts
Steve i have crossed a lot of streams without a problem ,pull the cover when i get home and clean it up with a air comp.however i am NOT fully submerging mine , belt may slip a little till it warms up ,here's a video from the Colorado ride .

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Good video, Frank blazes through the water, everyone else just kind of putts through...:rofl3::rofl3:

·
1 Mark in a world o Mikes
582 Posts
Cool video!!!

I hope all those people where people you knew and where friends.

As for the topic at hand, if the are at 5000' and you ride at 5000' in my mind they should have said something if there is something or some reason you have to modify before you take it out. Honestly the dealer should have you sign a release when you buy it if he knows of an issue.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I spent a week riding out of Ouray, CO at altitudes ranging from 8K to 13K feet and the RZR performed flawlessly. I was surprised that I did not perceive a greater power loss at those altitudes (although when I first unloaded and started on a trail the darn thing could not get above 40mph on a mild grade. The problem was solved with the boost provided by flipping the lever up on my newly added parking brake...LOL. I know my brakes are bedded in well at least) I understand that you are referring to mostly riding at high altitudes and you want to optimize for those condidtions. Being from Louisiana and rarely will I ride up that high I found that performance was better than expected and I feel that if one is only occasionally riding at high alt.s no adjustment seems to be needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts