Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our riding area is primarily National Forest land. Other than roads and a very small amount of "4x4" (full size Jeep trails), we are limited to 50" "ATV" trails. 50" RZRs are allowed. In addition to the legal limit, some trails have barricades set not much over 50" wide. Physically, the trails themselves are limited to about that same amount just due to trees/cliffs/rocks. 50" models pretty much rule here. This in is northern Idaho, with lots of steep, forested mountains.

I'm curious, what other areas have these same limitations? (both legal or physical)? Do you have places where 50" ATVs are allowed, but side x sides are not? Are your management agencies widening trails to allow wider UTVs or Jeeps?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
We have them in the Big Horn Mountain trail system, but there is not that many, mostly narrow adjoining trails, the lions share of the trails up there are open to jeeps, etc.

As far as I know thus far, no prejudice in Wyo against side by sides, if it is 50", it can go on the restricted trails.

Honestly, just about no limit to the amount of trails in my neck of the woods.

:camorzr:

·
Registered
565 Posts
In Missouri the state parks are limited to 50 inches but all of the other off road parks are not

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
All National Forest trails (essentially all public trails) in Louisiana 50" max and strictly enforced:cry:. Sadly, I am at 56" and I have very limited riding in my state unless I want to go mudding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same limit in Michigan and even than some trail are really tight, got wedged between two trees.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
357 Posts
There are a lot of 50" trails here in central Utah.

The problem is there is no one that works for the forest service smart enough to read a tape measure or exercise sound judgement as to safe places to place the 50" gates.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The new Travel Mgmt Plans have come out and even Arizona has some 50" trails, but not that many. . . YET.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
In Michigan the DNR maintains & marks hundreds of miles of trails limited to dirtbikes, ATV (50" max), ORV ("truck trails"), and snowmobile trails. There are also thousands of miles of unofficial trails--most of them aren't maintained or marked for specific machines. Naturally most of these DIY trails are narrow with lots of obstacles.

Because the different groups don't cooperate and have a "stay off my trails--but I can ride yours" attitude it's not likely there will ever be an organized push to widen the 50" trails. From what I've been seeing the past 5 years, UTVs are making the narrow trails wider without any "official" support :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ride in Eastern, Southern and Central Idaho. Eastern and Central have gates limiting entry to 50" or just over. I have not run into that in Southern Idaho but I just may not have been on the right trails yet.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I ride mostly in Central Idaho in Elk River, and there are actually trails there that are limited to 48". These are not forest service trails, but Potlatch Paper company land. Most of the trails that are on forest service land in that area are gated at 50"

·
Registered
551 Posts
In MN we have two classes of trails( Class I and Class II). The difference between the classes is basically weight and motor displacement and they just changed it so the 50" RZR's are registered as a class I which opens more areas up to ride but a lot of trails (most that are maintained/monopolized by the snowmobile clubs) have barriers that limit width to just over 50". Luckily for me the area I ride only has one bridge that has a barrier and that can be gotten around by another trail and a river crossing. Most of the trails are fairly narrow, especially in the woods but they are getting wider from modded atv's and those of us on sxs's that aren't afraid of a few scratches:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
SW Idaho is pretty much open. I have only seen one 50" gate in all of the Owyhees.

But boy do we have holier than thou ATV riders!!!! I am a member of an ATV club that welcomes Razors. I went on a multi-club camp out last weekend. One of the other club members told me I could not ride ATV trails as I have a side x side although it is only 50". He said the LAW is to be on an ATV trail you have to be straddling it and have handlebars!!!

I told him to go tell a cop!!!! :rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
SW Idaho is pretty much open. I have only seen one 50" gate in all of the Owyhees.

But boy do we have holier than thou ATV riders!!!! I am a member of an ATV club that welcomes Razors. I went on a multi-club camp out last weekend. One of the other club members told me I could not ride ATV trails as I have a side x side although it is only 50". He said the LAW is to be on an ATV trail you have to be straddling it and have handlebars!!!

Technically he is correct.

"Forest Service Definition for an Off Highway Vehicles Only(OHV):
ATV: all motor vehicles with three or more wheels or with tracks that are less than 50 inches wide, measured at their widest point, with a saddle-style seat that is straddled by the operator and steered with handlebars. Any towed trailer must also meet the 50 inch width limit measured at its widest point. UTV's do not meet the definition of an Definition of ATV and cannot be used except where "Motor Vehicles"(cars,pickups) are allowed.
No UTV's or side-by-sides are allowed on Forest Service Trails."

This is taken from LCATV Ride/information/Maps

Now with that being said, I have not seen anyone stop a 50" RZR from going on a gated 50" trail. In fact, I know a guy who takes his RZRs through some of the wider gates and has never had an issue with getting kicked out or ticketed for being behind the 50" gates.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We have a few different National Forest systems around here with a 50" restriction. I went a couple times on my 4 wheeler before I did a bunch of work to it and made it too wide, tall, and loud. I wish I could afford to have a 570 just to ride up there but my 900 costs me so darn much, there is no way I can afford 2 of them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are a lot of 50" trails here in central Utah.

The problem is there is no one that works for the forest service smart enough to read a tape measure or exercise sound judgement as to safe places to place the 50" gates.
I was just down there in the XP (64") and was able to go around most of the gates. I also noticed that the gate for the trail leading down to circleville had been removed. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
431 Posts

ATV: all motor vehicles with three or more wheels or with tracks that are less than 50 inches wide, measured at their widest point, with a saddle-style seat that is straddled by the operator and steered with handlebars. Any towed trailer must also meet the 50 inch width limit measured at its widest point. UTV's do not meet the definition of an Definition of ATV and cannot be used except where "Motor Vehicles"(cars,pickups) are allowed.

Now with that being said, I have not seen anyone stop a 50" RZR from going on a gated 50" trail. In fact, I know a guy who takes his RZRs through some of the wider gates and has never had an issue with getting kicked out or ticketed for being behind the 50" gates.
Well, I went to USFS HDQTRS in Boise today. The Officer gave me a bunch of maps free and said the only thing we care about is 50" or less. If you can get through the gate, you are legal. We have ATVs pulling 50" wide trailers on the trail too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well, I went to USFS HDQTRS in Boise today. The Officer gave me a bunch of maps free and said the only thing we care about is 50" or less. If you can get through the gate, you are legal. We have ATVs pulling 50" wide trailers on the trail too.
In north Idaho (Panhandle National Forest), on the Coeur d'Alene and Kaniksu districts, we are OK with RZRs at 50" on ATV trails. The only exception is one trail by Wallace. It's pretty narrow and on a steep, exposed mountainside, with several hundred feet of "down" off the low side. And there is no where to turn around for ~1/2-3/4 mile. Bummer in that it is one of my favorite ATV trails, and a great part of a loop ride. Otherwise though, we're fine.

We're also good on state (IDOL) lands. I'm not positive on the scattering of BLM land up here. I do understand that you are supposed to have helmets on when riding on BLM land (Idaho state law only requires riders <18 to wear them), while FS lands have no such requirement.

I would also get hold of a Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map for any area you ride. The MVUMs have current info for that forest...the clubs web site might be dated. I know the one is for the club I built one for.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts