Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I have read so much tire/wheel info. with all the possible offsets, sizes etc. that I'm going crazy (don't have to far to go anyway). My question is this: Can I purchase new 26" bighorns and install on the factory rims - either by installing spacers or something else.... worried about rubbing. I need to stay close as possible to the 50 inch mark... Ride National forest with semi strict limitations at 50" mark... A few inches won't matter.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Hi everybody,

I have read so much tire/wheel info. with all the possible offsets, sizes etc. that I'm going crazy (don't have to far to go anyway). My question is this: Can I purchase new 26" bighorns and install on the factory rims - either by installing spacers or something else.... worried about rubbing. I need to stay close as possible to the 50 inch mark... Ride National forest with semi strict limitations at 50" mark... A few inches won't matter.
I have 26" Bighorns on Pure Polaris 14" alum rims with the offset I am 52" in front and 55" in back.

I also have a set of 12 " Pure Polaris alum rims with orig Maxxis 25" with 8" in front and 10" in back which measure at 50" width. I switch to ride 50" trails, and think 50" should be observed where indicated.

I would like new tires for my 50" ride and would like to consider the pitbull 25.5, same widths but would need to check the width with care.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the 14" black crusher rims from Polaris. I like them. Do you get any better ground clearance? Do you have any pictures with 14" tire/wheels installed?

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Sorry, no pictures. Improving my suspension helped with ground clearance as well.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Rick, you will not be able to run the 25.5" x12 rims (steel) without spacers. I tried mine this past wekend and the agressive lugs connect with the passanger rear motor mounts. If you space them out @ least 1" you will be welle over the 50",
Sorry (I am)
John

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Rick, you will not be able to run the 25.5" x12 rims (steel) without spacers. I tried mine this past wekend and the agressive lugs connect with the passanger rear motor mounts. If you space them out @ least 1" you will be welle over the 50",
Sorry (I am)
John
You are saying my 12" Polaris Alum Wheels with the 8" and 10" orig Maxxis that is 50" wide can't be replaced with the 25.5 without hitting the passenger side rear motor mounts?

I have spoken to some with other situations that have (cut and) ground down around the motor mount and think the problem has been solved? Would progressive springs or superior suspension effect that? Next possibility 2" lift?
What are you going to do?

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
what suspension improvements did you do?
I have gone to makin trax progressive springs. Lifted it up about an inch.(stopped bottoming) Now I am adding MT2 shocks with remote reservoirs which may add a little lift.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
When I bought my RZR in April of 08 none of the after market AL wheels with the corresponding tires were the only way that you could have a trail width (50"). All the options were wider which is why I didn't spend the $$$ forthis option. I upgraded the ride to a 2" lift and 2" spacers then upgraded to the walker evens suspension. I then replaced the stock tires with the Bighorns of the same 25" size. this combination did allow me the remove the spacers and get back to the 50" width. Before Moab I upgraded to the 25.5" pitbull rockers which I feel are the best all-round tire you can put on the RZR, BUT because of their agressive tread and size will rub on the springs and the passenger motor mount, actually the mount will fit between two of the tire lugs!!!
I'm bum'd that I won't be able to run the Pittbulls on the Piaute trails,but the terrian isn't that challanging, I'll just need to use AWD more.
If I knew that the "Bulls" wern't going to fit I would have bought them anyway, they are that great a tire. My combination of the lift, spacer and 25.5 Rockers is a perfect setup for what I force my RZR to do,
John

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a set of wide offset wheels off of my RZR-4. They are a little too wide for me with my "S" width suspension. If someone's interested, I'd be willing to let them go for $350 shipped. I need something narrower as I'm close to 70" wide now. For those of you with a Standard S, these will make your RZR look more like the RZR-S width wise. They will also allow you to run a larger tire size without rubbing, and without having to install wheel spacers. They only have about 30 miles on them.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
When I bought my RZR in April of 08 none of the after market AL wheels with the corresponding tires were the only way that you could have a trail width (50"). All the options were wider which is why I didn't spend the $$$ forthis option. I upgraded the ride to a 2" lift and 2" spacers then upgraded to the walker evens suspension. I then replaced the stock tires with the Bighorns of the same 25" size. this combination did allow me the remove the spacers and get back to the 50" width. Before Moab I upgraded to the 25.5" pitbull rockers which I feel are the best all-round tire you can put on the RZR, BUT because of their agressive tread and size will rub on the springs and the passenger motor mount, actually the mount will fit between two of the tire lugs!!!
I'm bum'd that I won't be able to run the Pittbulls on the Piaute trails,but the terrian isn't that challanging, I'll just need to use AWD more.
If I knew that the "Bulls" wern't going to fit I would have bought them anyway, they are that great a tire. My combination of the lift, spacer and 25.5 Rockers is a perfect setup for what I force my RZR to do,
John
Thank You for the detailed answer. If I get 25 " Bighorns on my alum stock rims (now with anemic stk OEM Maxxis) It will work. Will I need the 2" lift? The 25.5 Pittbulls will not. The most obvious good use for 25.5 Pittbulls on a RZR wont work with 2 lift.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have no spacers, lift kit, or suspension mods of any kind and I have no rubbing issues. The wheels are 14" pure polaris sixers. The bighorns didn't work out on the factory crusher rims that would have come with the bike so I had to upgrade to these in order to get a wheel that had a bigger offset in the rear wheels to keep the tires away from the frame.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What is your offset Justinator?

Well the offset of the wheels I really don't know to be honest. All I know is it works! LOL.

If your refering to me having spacers I don't have any...

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I'll look up the stats on my wheels and see what I can find for ya.

·
Weekend Warrior!
94 Posts
I have a set of wide offset wheels off of my RZR-4. They are a little too wide for me with my "S" width suspension. If someone's interested, I'd be willing to let them go for $350 shipped. I need something narrower as I'm close to 70" wide now. For those of you with a Standard S, these will make your RZR look more like the RZR-S width wise. They will also allow you to run a larger tire size without rubbing, and without having to install wheel spacers. They only have about 30 miles on them.

Just sent you a message with my phone number. I will take those nukes!

·
Registered
202 Posts
polaris 4769, i have a a std rzr with the crusher wheels and run 27" maxxis mudbugs, (10 and 12 wide) the best mod (and free) i've done is trim the motor mount a little, then i put a 2" lift (doesn't matter what kind) and cranked up the shocks which makes it actually less than 50" wide then added 1" spacers on the rear only which is needed to clear the motor mount, if i was to do it again i would buy 1.5" to be on the safe side I just measured today for shits and giggles and its still 50" on the button. A lift will pull everything in then add a spacer and put your tires on. Just my .02

·
Registered
154 Posts
26 inch bighorns will fit with a two inch lift on stock wheels but you will have to do some mods. You have to cut off a little piece of the frame on both sides. It is where the front to rear runners intersect with the angled frame at teh rear. You have to cut the front to back frame at the saem angle as the other frame rail. For the motor mount you cant posssibly grind off enough to clear without spacers. If you can weld it is no big deal to cut off the motor mount and move it forward. You will have to make a spacer to remount th engine but no big deal. I run 26x12 bighorns on the rear with no rubbing with these mods. The lift only makes the rubbing worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts