Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i see someone with belt slippage on his mine after breaking in this bike on low gear for 10-15 miles then easy driving until 60 miles at about 30 mph i decided to push on the pedal and at 55-60 mph the noise was quite surprising ,i thought the fan hit the shroud but after reading on line and calling my dealer the belt is hitting the case !!!

The answer is buying approximately $650 US of parts to fix clutches on a machine I just paid $35000 for Cdn ??? What's wrong with this picture ?
I could MAYBE get away with a thicker washer but my clutch could still break if I don't buy the fixes for it??? The hard clack when taking if is normal as well ??
Kind of making me think I should of kept my XP. Any thoughts guys ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i see someone with belt slippage on his mine after breaking in this bike on low gear for 10-15 miles then easy driving until 60 miles at about 30 mph i decided to push on the pedal and at 55-60 mph the noise was quite surprising ,i thought the fan hit the shroud but after reading on line and calling my dealer the belt is hitting the case !!!

The answer is buying approximately $650 US of parts to fix clutches on a machine I just paid $35000 for Cdn ??? What's wrong with this picture ?
I could MAYBE get away with a thicker washer but my clutch could still break if I don't buy the fixes for it??? The hard clack when taking if is normal as well ??
Kind of making me think I should of kept my XP. Any thoughts guys ?
I put 60 miles on my 22 pro xp sport on Sunday. Rode slow tight trails and some high speed trails. Still breaking it in but I did hit 65 mph a few times on the high speed trails and didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put 60 miles on my 22 pro xp sport on Sunday. Rode slow tight trails and some high speed trails. Still breaking it in but I did hit 65 mph a few times on the high speed trails and didn't have any issues.
Your very lucky ,I'm starting to think this is going to be an ongoing issue but my sealer said just drive it and we will look at it at first service

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your very lucky ,I'm starting to think this is going to be an ongoing issue but my sealer said just drive it and we will look at it at first service
Yeah I'm not a fan of the dealer saying to just drive it when there clearly is an issue going on. In all reality, if Polaris doesn't release a "fix" for this, the dealership isn't going to do anything for it. You'll be stuck with the only option of buying aftermarket to bandaid the issue. If it happens to me, I will most likely go the AA route, time will tell.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm not a fan of the dealer saying to just drive it when there clearly is an issue going on. In all reality, if Polaris doesn't release a "fix" for this, the dealership isn't going to do anything for it. You'll be stuck with the only option of buying aftermarket to bandaid the issue. If it happens to me, I will most likely go the AA route, time will tell.
Hunter Works says Dalton clutch or a clutch kit fixe t but why should I buy parts to fix what should be done in the first place ?
I know that Todd at Hunterwirks know his stuff so usually it solves the issues but.... Scary!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
agreed. and do it before the warranty expires. There's lots of debates on here about belt slippage, and crappy clutch etc, but the belt should not be hitting the case. If it is, that will absolutely cause slippage, and damage to the belt which will make it slip worse etc.

yes the clutch noise when you take off is normal... it's not pleasant, and it does get better with a clutch kit, and i agree that it shouldn't be needed for the price of these machines... I had to do the clutch kit anyway due to the power adders, wheels/tires etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going to be pissed if my new 22 proxp (that I don't even have yet) has belt issues. I fought belt issues on my 18 xp1k and finally just sold the damn thing as I was sick of buying belts. Is there an aftermarket fix for this? My Xp1k kept hitting the top of the housing and peeling off the top of the belt, then get codes for misfiring and limp mode. Pissed me off so bad I sold it. Had Hunter works try to help me and spent a ton of money. Never did figure it out and thought because machine had 7500 miles on it, it was just wore out.

·
Registered
518 Posts
lots of people here will confirm no issues. the clutch noise at take off is pretty common, and can be made much better, but many have had belt slip problems. take forums with a grain of salt... most people on here are speaking from their personal experience, and opinion, and do not necessarily represent the majority, so be cautious when interpreting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lots of people here will confirm no issues. the clutch noise at take off is pretty common, and can be made much better, but many have had belt slip problems. take forums with a grain of salt... most people on here are speaking from their personal experience, and opinion, and do not necessarily represent the majority, so be cautious when interpreting.
I agree and thank you for that input !!!
I am speaking of disappointment but I'm realizing that a clutch kit is almost a must on these ! I took the 5 year warranty for $3000 not sure if that will cover the clutch after the 6 months ..Im really hoping I can get these things fixed I like the machine but i won't keep spending money to fix something that Polaris knows about and for a minimal price on their part fix!

Cheers !

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 xp1000 did the same thing. Let off gas to coast and belt would slap the case. Actually wore a hole right through it.. had it to the dealer 6 times and they didn't seem to want to actually fix it right. They put new clutch covers on and gave me a extra brand new cover for a spare.. I got so fed up I sold it with 1500 miles on and went and got a pro xp at different dealership. Love the pro. Haven't had any trouble at all other than 1 wheel bearing in 2,000 miles

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2017 xp1000 did the same thing. Let off gas to coast and belt would slap the case. Actually wore a hole right through it.. had it to the dealer 6 times and they didn't seem to want to actually fix it right. They put new clutch covers on and gave me a extra brand new cover for a spare.. I got so fed up I sold it with 1500 miles on and went and got a pro xp at different dealership. Love the pro. Haven't had any trouble at all other than 1 wheel bearing in 2,000 miles

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Thats good to hear mine hits when I'm on the throttle

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree and thank you for that input !!!
I am speaking of disappointment but I'm realizing that a clutch kit is almost a must on these ! I took the 5 year warranty for $3000 not sure if that will cover the clutch after the 6 months ..Im really hoping I can get these things fixed I like the machine but i won't keep spending money to fix something that Polaris knows about and for a minimal price on their part fix!

Cheers !
seems like the clutches are one of the first few items people upgrade, short of a windshield/roof, and that's true for most brands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I want to know is why some belts slip really bad, hit the case, etc... and some people have no issues whatsoever. It's the same design/clutch/belt going on every machine. Is it assembly issues or sourcing parts from different bidders?

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,482 Posts
I would
Thats good to hear mine hits when I'm on the throttle
I would take the cover off, and mount a GoPro to see the belt. Make a video of it hitting the case.

You have to have something major going wrong in there. The belt has tension on it under throttle. It should not be possible for it to hit the case.

Then, I would take the video and the machine to the dealer. If they can’t/won’t fix it, the ask for documentation. So you have in writing that they say nothing is wrong. If you can’t find one that will try to fix it, I would call Polaris and send them the video.

Don’t wait this out and have something give way and cause catastrophic damage. Remember that extended warranty is only as good as the company that is behind it. They can blame you for not having the problem fixed, and only cover the failed part and not the collateral damage.

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP4
357 Posts
seems like the clutches are one of the first few items people upgrade, short of a windshield/roof, and that's true for most brands.
Upgrading should be optional and only required if the machine is going to be heavily modified, not necessary because the factory can't get it right a make a reliable machine.

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP4
357 Posts
The dealers blew me off and told me to bring mine in if it gets worse lol, in my opinion they should be all over it, a brand new machine shouldn't have to get "worse" because it shouldn't have a problem to begin with! So when it goes kaboom are they going to pay to recover It out of the woods? Are they going to pay all expenses associated with any injury or damages or lost time that is incurred? Are they going to provide a loaner? Polaris should pay the dealer to come get the machine and have some sort of expedited warranty process!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck with your machine. I had a General with clutch issues before my Pro XP. Have 170km on it now and so far the clutches have been performing well. Are you still under warranty on your machine? If there is a legitimate issue with your clutches why not push the dealer to fix it under warranty now?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Upgrading should be optional and only required if the machine is going to be heavily modified, not necessary because the factory can't get it right a make a reliable machine.
my point was not to defend the issues people have with the clutches or to suggest to just upgrade it because of those issues. Most people, myself included, buy these machines, and begin adding goodies, which some require more clutch pressure etc. and "Heavily modified" is a fairly ambiguous term. i don't consider retuning the machine, and changing a few air pipes out being heavily modified, but some do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts