Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has a brand new 21 trail S 900... temps on avg run 200-210 deg. Often we see it at 220 to 221. Fans seem to run almost constantly. When fans activate it drops to what i consider normal operating temp. 185... 25 yr automotive tech intuition kicking in. My question is what is the thermostat opening temp on this model? Also what temps are others seeing with this SPECIFIC model and yr. What remedies has anyone tried to counter this? Water wetter lower temp thermostat bigger fan or radiator? Hers is bone stock having this issue. Background is we ride mainly flat land and in 80 to 90 deg atmospheric temp in dirt woods and never heavy throttle or high rpm. Her avg speed roughly 10 to 20 mph. Is she driving too slow... LOL or is this normal? My 20 pro xp is turbo w mods and never see these temps. On avg mine runs 185 to 195 rarely seeing 200. Any input is greatly appreciated. And yes we clean radiator every day never have mud in it nothing blocking radiator we do have a bumper but did it b4 bumper and yes still have stock radiator shroud. Just odd hers sees so high temps and my turbo 1000 runs cooler. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,295 Posts
I feel like something is up. 220 on an 85 degree day running normally is not reasonable. Answers first:
  • Within a degree or two it should start to open at 180f, be fully open by 15-20 degrees after that. So at the largest variable you could expect open soonest as 195, latest at 203, maybe 203.
  • Surfactants are always a good idea. I do like Redline, but not Water Wetter. Rislone's HyperCool is stocked at Walmart,works as well or better, and doesn't have sludging problems like WW does.
  • Another good idea is running 60% water.
We had, some years ago, a few 900's in the mix that got used heavily. None ran that hot and we'd sometimes do some pretty slow trail breaking. We've had guys ride with us that rented new ones too. Never hot.

I'd take it to the dealer and make them do it, but here are the things I'd wonder:
  1. Is there an air bubble?
  2. Is it full of coolant?
  3. Do they have too much antifreeze in it?
It gets harder from there of course, things like blocked coolant passages, bad water pump, etc. BTW, I'm assuming it's done this since perfectly new. If not, have you tried washing the radiator from the back?

I can imagine a dealer trying to tell you that's an reasonable behavior, but I'd call BS myself.

If you care to dig deeper into cooling there is this:

Good luck,

-d

·
Registered
318 Posts
Provided there are no physical issues, blockages, or air bubbles, you may want to look at getting a tuner to change fan turn-on to keep the engine cooler. There is going to be a delay due to fluid travel length, so an earlier turn-on is desired, IMHO. The hottest I have seen is about 210F on my machine, in the dunes, on a hot day. I normally hit 203 or so at max.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 900S and everything about it is hotter than my 2017 1000S. The 1000S is much more comfortable in the cab. I recently put a new radiator in and no change.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,295 Posts
I think the 900's still have the "simple" fan in them. If s, a manual fan switch would be a nice thing if you've a machine that's undercooled.

I would for sure drop to 40% coolant and add the surfactant. Together they should make a noticable improvement. You shouldn't crack 203 again and would likely run lower.

You don't have lights or a winch in front of the radiator do you?

·
Registered
218 Posts
My son and my rzr 900 trail, came from 2 differant dealers, and both needed almost a qt. Of antifreeze added. Seams the dealers just add antifreeze and not bleed the systems. I remember another member here with the same issues, but he didnt catch it in time, and reported 220 plus temps!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 900s that was running hot at times and I found a small leak at the surge tank hose. There were no clamps on the hose and it was drawing air into the system. I used some small spring clamps and bleed the bleeder screw at the cylinder head and disconnected the surge tank and hose and held it up towards the roof and ran it till all air came out. Hope this helps if you see air in the clear line then you have air in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts