Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a bit of feedback on the 29" Dirt Commanders on 14 inch Tusk Uninita beadlocks. I spent the weekend on some pretty tough NH trails. I rode the Hopkinton Everett trail system which was designed for Trail Bikes but allows ATVs and UTVs up to 50". There were the tight, twisty trails with tons of elevation changes and crazy berms throughout. I have some video which I will post once I set up a youtube acct and figure out how to edit a bit.

As far as the DCs they were perfect for these conditions hooked up fine and although I had a few scary moments with "Dagger roots" projecting from the berms I had no issues. Tire pressure made a huge difference and it changed as I adjusted the compression rebound front and back. I removed the front sway bar right away and with the larger heavier tires have found I needed to add dampening on the Fox shocks to compensate. I believe I am maybe a few clicks from full dampening. On some of the tight nasty "whoops" I would get full compression up front and the 29s would rub. This was only at speed on really aggressive whoops and the higher dampening all but eliminated it. The higher dampening also eliminated the rebound "clunk" from the heavier tires and lack of sway bar people have noted when going over a drop off. To help with the small bumps I ran the front tires at 9psi and honestly the ride was terrific. I may even try 8psi at some point. The other area I got rub was full compression full lock in the steering. These trails often had greater than 90 degree tight turns with a tree on the outside and inside and a big berm that the outside wheel would ride on. I rubbed maybe a half dozen times. I have not altered my fenders and if it wasn't for the high berms I suspect I wouldn't have an issue at all.

The rear shocks I found I could run the dampening a few clicks from full soft and tire pressure at 12psi. The ride was so nice I didn't see the need to go lower in psi but likely could. It really felt quite balanced.

I plan to do some maybe more typical UTV trails this weekend at Jericho state park in Berlin NH. They even have Jeep trails in this park. It will be quite a difference from the trail bike park which I found a ton of work and tough on the machine. I ride with two guys that have ATVs and they loved it. Two days was enough for me. I'm sooo glad I have a 50" because honestly even a 60" would have had a lot of trouble. Besides the tight turns there were a ton of wooden bridges that were only 55" wide. I had just a few inches on each side. In two days of riding I only had to use reverse once which I count as a tribute to the Trail.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NH Trailrider, thanks for the write up. I went up to 29" and need to swap rims to stay within 51 inches (which I'll do when I get to Richfield next week). Your experience with the 29's makes me much more confident.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NH Trailrider, thanks for the write up. I went up to 29" and need to swap rims to stay within 51 inches (which I'll do when I get to Richfield next week). Your experience with the 29's makes me much more confident.
I think you will be happy with the 29s. I forgot to mention I did not bottom out at all that I can remember. 13+ inches of GC seems to be enough. I thought for sure I would get hung up on some of the deep ruts/berms but not at all. BTW I forgot to mention I did adjust the spring preload higher a bit front and back, not a ton but that helped as well. Really happy with the tunability of the Fox shocks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
NHTrailrider, I don't really ride that hard. I ride mostly trails and hard packed county roads and keep my speed at a reasonable level, so I'm not really pushing it. I did notice a significant difference in GC over stock when I went through some rocky areas in the Sierras. With the damn northern California fires lately my riding has been curtailed, so I'll have to wait for the Jamboree to start adjusting the shocks. I have at least managed to get my AM/FM antenna hooked in and have my Sirius receiver feeding the radio and have it bluetoothed to my SMH10 headset, so I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NHTrailrider, I don't really ride that hard. I ride mostly trails and hard packed county roads and keep my speed at a reasonable level, so I'm not really pushing it. I did notice a significant difference in GC over stock when I went through some rocky areas in the Sierras. With the damn northern California fires lately my riding has been curtailed, so I'll have to wait for the Jamboree to start adjusting the shocks. I have at least managed to get my AM/FM antenna hooked in and have my Sirius receiver feeding the radio and have it bluetoothed to my SMH10 headset, so I'm a happy camper.
What was the complete tire size on front and back. Any rubbing, did u have add spacers or anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The DCs are the 29-9-14s same size all around on Tusk Uinita beadlocks 5-2 14s. I have done 100+ miles on them now including just a bit on highway. Very happy overall and would do the same setup again in a heart beat. There is some rubbing in the front only however not much and I have not modified any fenders nor do I have spacers. The rubbing occurs at full lock with compression noted in the tech stuff and with high speed big hits where the suspension compresses fully. I noted the high speed rub this weekend on Trails in Jericho Park NH. The big hits have to be the close to if not bottom out type. The full lock rubbing could be eliminated with minor fender alteration or maybe a spacer. I am at 51” which is important to me so spacers are not an option. The high speed rubbing happened maybe 5 or 6 times and is a very brief rub vibration nothing violent. I would be traveling 30-40 mph and hit something pretty big or deep and usually with one wheel which maxed out the suspension on that side. I have removed the front sway bar which I believe allows for alot of independent front wheel travel. This is great in the slow speed tech stuff but less so in the high speed stuff. I may put it back in to determine the impact. The rubbing is minimal enough I am fine leaving as is but my nature is to mess around with things so I will likely trim the fender and try a few other things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What was the complete tire size on front and back. Any rubbing, did u have add spacers or anything.
Gordon, all 4 tires are 29X9r-14. I haven't put enough miles on them yet to determine if there is any rubbing, but so far there has been none. My friend Jack, with the same rim and tire size on his 900 trail has ridden quite a bit and has had no problem with rubbing. Like NHtrailrider, I have to stay within the 51 in limit so that I can ride the 50 in trails in Utah.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe Skromfols is on a different size rim right now maybe 4x3 IIRC. I doubt you would have any issue with rubbing with that rim if that is your concern and you don’t mind 54 inch width

1 - 8 of 8 Posts