Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

241 - 260 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
So from what I have read Polaris is not having the dealer show due to Covid, have they actually said when they will introduce the 2021 model lineup? I.E. stick to the July 28th date as they have done in years past?

·
Registered
322 Posts
So the Pro R would have the Slingshot motor? 4 cylinder, 2.0L, 203hp, NA. Sounds heavy but interresting. But not in the side by side category anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Looks like to me on the RZR Pro spy shots the exhaust are two banks per side, but the slingshot motor looks like a four in line. I was trying to blow it up to see better, but that is what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I will not go to the Pro model until they fix the layout for servicing the vehicle. As it stands, 5 hours to disassemble the interior is patently absurd and my 2019 is able to be reconfigured in minutes if I need to run cables and such. No thanks Polaris, no Pro for me.
Have not had to remove the interior yet but it really would not take 5 hours... the rest is way more easy to access than my last RZR, the whole bed comes out in 1 min, way more space in the front and back end to work on stuff.

How often do you run cables and take apart your interior? its really easy to tap into the new buss bar.

Cant wait to see the new Pro R ....should be a beast

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maybe with the 2.0L engine. It could be in the slingshot vehicule category and be fully street legal.

·
Morris Racing #711
570 Posts
I doubt there will be a factory 2.0L engine in a sxs for a long time, if ever. If they go over 1000cc then you're not required to wear helmets in places like Glamis. There's too many regulatory hands in the pot for that to happen...

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Maybe with the 2.0L engine. It could be in the slingshot vehicule category and be fully street legal.

You may be on to something here. I think we've seen price is not an issue. Just go to your local riding spot any weekend. A new class perhaps? A street legal vehicle as capable as a RZR built to run road speeds @ $40k range. Sign me up. Most people end up there anyway regarding price. The ability to ride all trail in Moab, ride from Windrock to Hatfeild McCoy, take it to beach in the toy hauler as your going out vehicle, ride local trails without trailering...I'll take one. They would also have folks from the Jeep community change over as well. That would be a reduction of cost to them by half.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will not say that is impossible, but highly improbable. Polaris would have to add airbags, ABS, stability control, do the whole crash test and rollover NTSHA testing etc. The only way they got away with the slingshot is because it is on three wheels and in regulatory speak is a motorcycle, if it has four wheels it is automatically a car. There are street legal conversions that can be done in some states, but they are just that, conversions. It would be very difficult, time consuming and expensive for an OEM to sell a side x side as street legal off of the showroom floor. At that point where would we be in regards to weight, complexity and cost? They would be forced to pass it on to us as the consumer, even more so due to the relatively small sales volume as compared to a normal auto manufacturer. Maybe I am wrong, but it would be very surprising to say the least.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Anyone find it strange that after Polaris released the Pro, that not a single desert race team switched to the Pro? These factory teams get free cars and get them to build out even before the public releases. Yet none switched from the Turbo S to a Pro, and I’d assume Polaris has not required it? Why? They have in the past.

Could it be they knew they would be releasing something new a year or two after the Pro was released? But the Pro is already a year old and it seems sales of the Pro have not been very strong. Maybe this new gen version will replace the Pro and Turbo S?

I think with the new Speed UTV brand & vehicle line up coming out, it might force some of these other manufacturers to step up or at least fix the known issues they keep having release after release.
They don’t require us to race the newest model. It takes lots of testing to get our new cars tested and dialed before we will put them out in the desert. 2 of my teammates Ryan piplic, and Cody Bradbury have the new pro xp they are racing currently. In this weekend desert race Cody and ryan where both running up in the top 5 when both had small set backs that put them down a little time. That’s racing lol

Reactions: Max H

·
Registered
785 Posts

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I doubt there will be a factory 2.0L engine in a sxs for a long time, if ever. If they go over 1000cc then you're not required to wear helmets in places like Glamis. There's too many regulatory hands in the pot for that to happen...
While I understand your logic, I'm betting you are wrong in this case. A bigger motor is coming and it only makes sense for Polaris to use the same motor they are touting for the Slingshot with years of R&D on it. They wouldn't pour years and thousands of hours into 2 different motors at the same time. I would assume it to be slightly modified from the Slingshot for more performance. 220hp+ Why because a lot of people have been asking and wanting bigger for a while. Something that when modified can easily crack the 300hp mark with aftermarket components and upgrades while still keeping plenty of reliability. My concern is the power to weight ratio, frame strength, gas tank capacity, and lastly is it still belt? While I understand the benefits of the belt, I still hate it. I've easily dropped over $1000 in belts over the years last 3-4 years I've owned my 2017 Turbo not counting the belt temp monitor, the clutching changes (Air Dam) to help keep the belt cooler, experiments with fans, etc. Hate it all.

Then like all things Polaris do you buy the first year model? I'm sure 2nd year will have a lot of small tweaks and improvements. 1st-year model buyers are always the guinea pigs and often lose the most money because of it. And then the 3rd year model probably brings on a turbo version wherefrom the factory it is putting down 300+hp. So when to buy?

·
Morris Racing #711
570 Posts
While I understand your logic, I'm betting you are wrong in this case. A bigger motor is coming and it only makes sense for Polaris to use the same motor they are touting for the Slingshot with years of R&D on it. They wouldn't pour years and thousands of hours into 2 different motors at the same time. I would assume it to be slightly modified from the Slingshot for more performance. 220hp+ Why because a lot of people have been asking and wanting bigger for a while. Something that when modified can easily crack the 300hp mark with aftermarket components and upgrades while still keeping plenty of reliability. My concern is the power to weight ratio, frame strength, gas tank capacity, and lastly is it still belt? While I understand the benefits of the belt, I still hate it. I've easily dropped over $1000 in belts over the years last 3-4 years I've owned my 2017 Turbo not counting the belt temp monitor, the clutching changes (Air Dam) to help keep the belt cooler, experiments with fans, etc. Hate it all.

Then like all things Polaris do you buy the first year model? I'm sure 2nd year will have a lot of small tweaks and improvements. 1st-year model buyers are always the guinea pigs and often lose the most money because of it. And then the 3rd year model probably brings on a turbo version wherefrom the factory it is putting down 300+hp. So when to buy?
We'll see what happens, I could see a 1000cc variation of the slingshot motor but I'm still really doubtful we're going to see anything from the factory over 1k anytime soon, there's too many factors in the background on that.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I think the pxp will have a 72” model maybe a n/a but that’sabout it. I remember last year when any pics were posted that showed anything pxp they were deleted immediately as the pics up now are not. Makes me wonder if it’s bait for info miners to find. I could be wrong probably am but don’t get your hopes up to much

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Here are a couple videos I just found on the new Pol slingshot motor ... I have to agree ...IMO it will be the Sling shot motor and transmission basically ...they even referenced the R model / manual trans

GO to about the 7 min mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried to find weight specs and dimensions on the 2.0L to compare it to say the 925cc ProStar turbo engine but couldn't. Anyone know what they are? I think it is pretty safe to say that the length, no matter what it is would dictate a longitudinal layout (which the patent schematics show on the theoretical updated XP Pro R or whatever it will be called), but at the same time in order to integrate the engine into the rest of the lineup will take so engineering. On top of that in order to be cost effective, I would have to imagine that Polaris would integrate the 4 cylinder engine into more vehicles other than the Slingshot. Maybe not into the Ranger series as there is still room on the table with the existing ProStar 2 cylinder engines compared to what it is rated at right now, and I would not expect it in the existing RZR XP units either. But in future XP Pro's and possible even a new General? I could see that..

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That Prostar 2.0L looks like a beast of a motor. I don't think you can shoehorn that engine into the current XP Pro platform. If that's the new power plant I'd expect a completely new RZR design. I can't image Polaris making that big of a jump this year.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
@FRAZR .. If the transmission wasn't in the current location ...IE.. moved forward into the tunnel like the patent drawing shows , Then they would have plenty of room

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Anyone find it strange that after Polaris released the Pro, that not a single desert race team switched to the Pro? These factory teams get free cars and get them to build out even before the public releases. Yet none switched from the Turbo S to a Pro, and I’d assume Polaris has not required it? Why? They have in the past.

Could it be they knew they would be releasing something new a year or two after the Pro was released? But the Pro is already a year old and it seems sales of the Pro have not been very strong. Maybe this new gen version will replace the Pro and Turbo S?

I think with the new Speed UTV brand & vehicle line up coming out, it might force some of these other manufacturers to step up or at least fix the known issues they keep having release after release.
It is interesting none of the teams have build a Pro XP race car.

I doubt Polaris or Can Am are overly worried about the Speed UTV. They are not going to produce that many a year, when they actually build them. The Speed car will have a small falling as it is more of a niche car.

·
Registered
609 Posts
SxS are regulated to 1000cc. No, the Slingshot motor is NOT going to be in it. Everyone who saw that making the rounds of Facebook, it is just click bait. Too much false information going around.

·
Registered
785 Posts
SxS are regulated to 1000cc. No, the Slingshot motor is NOT going to be in it. Everyone who saw that making the rounds of Facebook, it is just click bait. Too much false information going around.
Exactly, it has only been said like a million times on this forum haha. I thought it was common knowledge at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 358 Posts