Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for certain what size the steering wheel nut is? I've heard everything from 24mm-28mm and 3/4"-1". It's definitely bigger 3/4" and I ordered a 26mm socket but lately there have been more votes for 24mm so would like to order the correct socket so I can fix and ride by this weekend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ordered a socket? Just go to the hardware store and buy one of each and then you will know for sure and you can always use more tools right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordered a socket? Just go to the hardware store and buy one of each and then you will know for sure and you can always use more tools right?
I could always use more tools but in this case I just wanted to have the correct one delivered to my door during the week so I could use it and be on the trail this weekend. I don't have any hardware stores right down the street from me that would carry large sockets so it would be at least an hour round trip to "just go to the hardware store and buy one of each".

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just went out to the shop and checked. It is a 15/16ths or 24 mm both are good fit. So unless you have a 15/16ths socket you will be waiting for a 24 mm socket. I should have checked the other day and you would have been able to get one by today. Sorry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my 26mm in the mail today aaaaannnnndddd...it's way too big. The biggest socket I currently have is a 13/16th I believe and it is obviously too small. I did order a 24mm yesterday but it won't be here until Monday. I'm just taking the steering wheel off and realigning so not a big deal and I'll still ride this weekend :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Trust me I am as old fashioned as hell. How do you measure a nut? I can usually tell just by looking at it. Corner to corner or side to side? Then you bring metric into the factor, easier to ask IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me I am as old fashioned as hell. How do you measure a nut? I can usually tell just by looking at it. Corner to corner or side to side? Then you bring metric into the factor, easier to ask IMO
I am too and I actually tried measuring before I started this thread. I don't have a tape measure that has metric markings on it so I was guestimating at best and it could have gone either way after the conversion, 24mm or 26mm. I just figured Mountain Mickey was either a troll or wanted to boast about how cool and old fashioned he is so I just let him be. If he feels better for trying to clown on me, then good for him, I'm fine either way. My dad always told me I have more money than sense so I'm ok with my decision to spend an extra $7 and have another socket for possible later issues lol.

The important thing is my 24mm arrived today and was able to get the steering wheel off with minimal issues. The nut came off surprisingly easy and I had to wedge my knees under the bottom of the steering wheel and push while I pulled the top and wiggled. It popped off with moderate effort and I damn near busted myself in the nose lol. I didn't put any Locktite on the threads when I reinstalled because I think I'm going to have to do an alignment and may need to adjust the steering wheel again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mountain Mickey is correct.
Gonsnow should know that it's flat to opposite flat, and even if you measured in inches the conversion to metric is easily googled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mountain Mickey is correct.
Gonsnow should know that it's flat to opposite flat, and even if you measured in inches the conversion to metric is easily googled.
Why should I know how to measure a nut? Never had to as I said I can usually tell just by looking. Been wrenching for 50 years that is info I have never needed but I have sockets and wrenches up to 2 1/2 inches so if i don't know what size a nut is I just grab a socket till I have the right one. Then there are always crescent wrenches. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts