Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
19' XP41k
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, for you running 35's with gear reduction, did you also upgrade your clutch or was the gear reduction enough? If you did upgrade the clutch what kit did you use and pros and cons please?

Sky Tire Vehicle Plant Wheel

· Registered
1,557 Posts
If your clutching is still oem try that and see how it does for you. For most people it works great. Ya technically you should be changing stuff a little bit but popo clutching is so off from the get go that it kinda comes into it with the reduction. Keep in mind a “kit” you’d buy is put together for everyone else. No kit is for gear reduction. A stiffer secondary spring can help or maybe adjustable weights would be needed. Piece it together. Tune it in to your ride and style vs a kit that’s pretty much a buy one that fits an average persons needs.

· Registered
19' XP41k
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your clutching is still oem try that and see how it does for you. For most people it works great. Ya technically you should be changing stuff a little bit but popo clutching is so off from the get go that it kinda comes into it with the reduction. Keep in mind a “kit” you’d buy is put together for everyone else. No kit is for gear reduction. A stiffer secondary spring can help or maybe adjustable weights would be needed. Piece it together. Tune it in to your ride and style vs a kit that’s pretty much a buy one that fits an average persons needs.
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check it out and see how it goes the next couple weeks. I was looking last night and thinking about going either with AA Stage 4 or Duraclutch but again not sure if I need to spend that much for my set up. I do mostly crawling in low but more worried about when I'm in high starting off and slipping the belt.

thanks again!

· Registered
2019 XP4 1000
60 Posts
I'm in the same position. On 32's and wanting 35's. Here's what I have and what I've learned thus far. Maybe it will help.

Current setup:
2019 XP4 1000 (non-turbo)
32" XTR. 370's (heavy)
Dalton Clutch kit (clutch fly weights set up for 32" tires)... from Hunterworks.
Been running this setup for over a year, 1300 miles on oem belt. Runs great

I've been in touch with Todd at Hunterworks about 35's....
If you go up X% tire size, then you need roughly same X% of gear reduction and keep stock clutching setup.

So here's the quick math I came up with...
OEM clutch (which I don't have now)
29" OEM tires and moving up to 35" tires is a 17% increase
So need at least 17% gear reduction to get close to factory specs.

So I'm going to at least a 25% gear reduction and I'm going to ask Crash City SXS what they recommend for East TN riding.
Resetting my clutch flywheel weights back to factory
Adding double reverse chain while I'm in the tranny

I'm following this post to hopefully learn more. I hope this helps some

· Registered
19' XP41k
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in the same position. On 32's and wanting 35's. Here's what I have and what I've learned thus far. Maybe it will help.

Current setup:
32" XTR. 370's (heavy)
Dalton Clutch kit (clutch fly weights set up for 32" tires)... from Hunterworks.

If you go up X% tire size, then you need roughly same X% of gear reduction and keep stock clutching setup.

So I'm going to at least a 25% gear reduction and I'm going to ask Crash City SXS what they recommend for East TN riding.

Thanks for the info! I've been running 32 Carnivores for about 2 years now. I did gear reduction prior to moving to 32's 14% H, 54% L and 14%R and haven't had any issues I didnt do the double reverse chain just went with the HD. Just ordered the SuperATV Boxed Sidewinder 1.5 in Forward offset A-arms with superduty 300m ball joints. I've also upgraded tie-rods and bomb proof front diff.

Tire Sky Mountain Wheel Plant

· Registered
2019 XP4 1000
60 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've been running 32 Carnivores for about 2 years now. I did gear reduction prior to moving to 32's 14% H, 54% L and 14%R and haven't had any issues I didnt do the double reverse chain just went with the HD. Just ordered the SuperATV Boxed Sidewinder 1.5 in Forward offset A-arms with superduty 300m ball joints. I've also upgraded tie-rods and bomb proof front diff.

View attachment 713660
You should be GTG. I wouldn't think a clutch kit. Keep clutching same, add your A-arms, 35's and go! Let me know how it works. You're ahead of me in this. I need the GR and 35's. I should be good otherwise. GR is my big hurdle. Did you do your own?

· Registered
19' XP41k
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be GTG. I wouldn't think a clutch kit. Keep clutching same, add your A-arms, 35's and go! Let me know how it works. You're ahead of me in this. I need the GR and 35's. I should be good otherwise. GR is my big hurdle. Did you do your own?
I'll keep you posted headed out for a snow ride next weekend.

I did my own GR and have built a couple for friends now too. Its not too difficult. I think the hardest part is getting the transmission back into the machine (i've had to walk away every time, come back and somehow it slips right in HAHA). I'm no mechanic and usually takes me about 7hrs from start to finish. There are several videos on youtube to watch. change your snorkel gear too and ensure backlash is set correctly.

I'd love to get back east and ride looks like you guys have some great riding and its pretty similar to what we have in Washington, its on the bucket list but I'd need to have my machine shipped

· Registered
2019 XP4 1000
60 Posts
Yeah, I figured getting the tranny out and back in would be the difficult part... not looking forward to it, if I tackle it myself. Funny how walking away and coming back seems to work. Keep me posted and let me know if you ever head this way and we can get a ride together.

· Registered
571 Posts
I started with forward an arms, and gear reduction with 35’s, burned a lot of belts. Next installed Dura Clutch, still burned belts. Installed 4” Portals and haven’t looked back, this also came with new Steering rack with upgraded Tie rods and a 6 month ball joint replacement schedule😂 My total reduction is 12.5% in the transmission and 30% in the portals.

· Registered
2019 XP4 1000
60 Posts
I started with forward an arms, and gear reduction with 35’s, burned a lot of belts. Next installed Dura Clutch, still burned belts. Installed 4” Portals and haven’t looked back, this also came with new Steering rack with upgraded Tie rods and a 6 month ball joint replacement schedule😂 My total reduction is 12.5% in the transmission and 30% in the portals.
I wouldn't think that 12.5% would be enough. Wondering if that's why you still smoked belts? Idk. I'm learning here and trying to figure it all out.

· Registered
1,557 Posts

Current setup:
32" XTR. 370's (heavy)

Respectfully forget what you’ve been told about clutching for the gear reduction from anyone that doesn’t have experience with it. A kit
You can order is not setup for GR. Ya you can mathematically match gears with tires size but that still puts you back at the mathematically crappy factory gearing and clutching feeling. Do the 53 low setup for a 1k with 35’s. Try the clutching stock at first and see what you need to adjust for your individual driving style if needed for you at all.

· Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn't think that 12.5% would be enough. Wondering if that's why you still smoked belts? Idk. I'm learning here and trying to figure it all out.
it isn’t enough, my ultimate goes was to be on portals so I worked towards it. I still can rub my 35’s with the plus 2 arms and portals so I would think 35’s without portals would rub a lot.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
it isn’t enough, my ultimate goes was to be on portals so I worked towards it. I still can rub my 35’s with the plus 2 arms and portals so I would think 35’s without portals would rub a lot.
I don’t have portals and have 1.5” forward orb arms and get zero run on my 35 zillas. I have had the shocks done though, also wheel offset is a huge deal on scrubbing as well. Surprised you hit with portals and arms?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts