Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil and filter for the first time using the polaris oil change kit that includes 2 qts plus a little oil bottle and when I measure the oil with the dipstick,it shows like one inch overfill.
Is this normal?
Should I take some oil out?
Thanks
evnizio

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
Did you run it to circulate the oil and fill up the filter, then check it?

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
You drained the transmission fluid and not the engine. So when you put in new oil it has 2x as much as it should. Fairly common mistake.
One inch high on the dipstick is not twice the oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
Normally, these engines only take 1.5 quarts.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on engine model but it's 2.0-2.75 quarts. For the 1k it's 2.75qts
I don't know where you guys are getting those numbers, but it's not the owner's manual. Did you check your owner's manual?

According to the 2019 XP1000 HighLifter owner's manual (available on Polaris website) and the XP1000 shop manual I have access to, engine oil capacity is 2.5 quarts.

The XP oil change kit includes 2.5 quarts of oil.

Most likely scenario is that you didn't fully drain it, would be my guess. If you want to drain a bit, it's up to you. I don't think I'd bother unless it was coming out the breather tube.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
You drained the transmission fluid and not the engine. So when you put in new oil it has 2x as much as it should. Fairly common mistake.

1" above the full mark is double the oil, I had two friends do this.

BTW - you don't need run the engine to "circulate" before checking. Oil is checked by height in the the oil pan, the filter holds no oil after shutdown, and all the oil will drain back to the pan.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
Yes I did run it
The oil filter is at an angle so it would not retain much oil
Thanks
Once the filter is full, it stays full. Doesn't run back thru the pump to the pan. Notice when you took the filter off to change it, it was full of oil and leaked all over the place?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Yes I did run it
Thanks
Once the filter is full, it stays full. Doesn't run back thru the pump to the pan. Notice when you took the filter off to change it, it was full of oil and leaked all over the place?
Ah no, on a 1k or XPT engine it most certainly does drain back. Very little oil stay in the filter.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts

BTW - you don't need run the engine to "circulate" before checking. Oil is checked by height in the the oil pan, the filter holds no oil after shutdown, and all the oil will drain back to the pan.
Well, Polaris instructions for oil change, per shop manual, are to add 2.5 quarts specified oil, run engine for 30 seconds, shut down, wait 15 seconds then check oil level.

If that isn't circulating it to fill the filter, I don't know what is. It's the same as my truck.

I'm not saying the OP didn't accidentally pull the wrong drain plug; he should pull the transmission fill port and check service level just to be sure. But 5 quarts in the crankcase instead of 2.5 quarts is going to be way more than one inch overfill on the dipstick. That crankcase ain't that big.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yes I did run it
Thanks
Ah no, on a 1k or XPT engine it most certainly does drain back. Very little oil stay in the filter.
I second that ...the oil will drain back out of the filter . Thats why i dont run the motor before I do a oil change I dont like the mess and cleanup

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
Oh, and BTW, 2.75 quarts is the spec for the XPT. 2.5 quarts for the XP1000. Per the owner's manuals.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

Well, Polaris instructions for oil change, per shop manual, are to add 2.5 quarts specified oil, run engine for 30 seconds, shut down, wait 15 seconds then check oil level.

If that isn't circulating it to fill the filter, I don't know what is. It's the same as my truck.

I'm not saying the OP didn't accidentally pull the wrong drain plug; he should pull the transmission fill port and check service level just to be sure. But 5 quarts in the crankcase instead of 2.5 quarts is going to be way more than one inch overfill on the dipstick. That crankcase ain't that big.
I have literally seen it with my own eyes on multiple occasions. We has just left camp and headed up a steep incline and I noticed a buddy's machine smoking like he was spraying for mosquitoes. Stopped him at the top and checked the dipstick and it was ~1" over the full line. I asked he he said the night before he changed the "engine oil". I checked the trans and it was bone dry. He did this on his and his wife's machines, both identical. I have also seen this on a couple of other occasions.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts
I second that ...the oil will drain back out of the filter . Thats why i don't run the motor before I do a oil change I don't like the mess and cleanup
The reason to run the motor is to get any of the sludge that has settled warmed up and circulating, so when you pull the drain plug it comes out, rather than building up in the bottom of the crankcase. But it's your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I hate to admit it ...but I pulled the trans plug ONCE when I was going for the engine plug. Of course I realized what I had done immediately by the oil color ...easy to do

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Oh, and BTW, 2.75 quarts is the spec for the XPT. 2.5 quarts for the XP1000. Per the owner's manuals.
Correct, I pulled up the XPT by mistake. 2.5qts for the 1k, 2.75qts for the XPT, extra .25qt because of the oil cooler.

·
Super Moderator
7,647 Posts

I have literally seen it with my own eyes on multiple occasions. We has just left camp and headed up a steep incline and I noticed a buddy's machine smoking like he was spraying for mosquitoes. Stopped him at the top and checked the dipstick and it was ~1" over the full line. I asked he he said the night before he changed the "engine oil". I checked the trans and it was bone dry. He did this on his and his wife's machines, both identical. I have also seen this on a couple of other occasions.
OK. Go out to your RZR, service the oil to the full mark. Then add 2.5 quarts more and see how far up the dipstick it goes. I'm telling ya, 5 quarts is what goes in my car engine. 5 quarts will flood a RZR engine.

I just talked to Chad, was service manager at local dealer, now sales; he said they have seen it a couple times on XP1K and the oil level was way up to the top of the dipstick. Not one inch overfill. All the way to the top.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts