Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
EE
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a 2019 feel like the power steering requires more effort than previous model years? I unfortunately only have experience with my previous machine, a 2017 XP 1000. Compared to it, the 2019 requires significantly more effort to steer at lower speeds. My 17' allowed for one handed steering easily, whereas I need to use both hands to make quick maneuvers at low speed in the 19'. I am just curious if this is normal, or something I should address. The machine is completely stock with only a few hours on it and about 25 miles.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Interesting, as my 2017 was a bear to steer, so much so I questioned at times if the power steering was even functioning. LOL

My 2018 is reasonable if steering effort. I feel like it could have more power during slow speed maneuvers or sitting still, but functions just fine at speed. Versus my 2013 800LE that had an extremely powerful steering unit and was super sensitive.

Not sure what you would check, besides tire pressure. Does the steering wheel self center after a turn?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Seems something changed in 2018. Our 2107 has great steering. While the 2018 Dynamix is harder to steer. Complained to dealer, they checked it out and said if was normal. Notice in the 2020 information they are saying something about increasing the power of the power steering.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a 14' XPK and the steering was great. Just upgraded to a 19' TRE and totally agree that the steering is much heavier.

The parking brake i had on 14' wont fit the 19' because the power steering unit is bigger. There is some kind of change but unsure exactly as of yet.

My friend just got a 19' Velocity S and steering is super easy and super quick like some kind of ratio change.

·
EE
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting. I wonder how much variation exists from unit to unit in the exact same model year and configuration. The tires are still at the 16psi from the dealer, and this increased effort is experienced on hard pack, softer dirt, gravel, my back yard, etc. Mud is the only thing it hasn't been in yet. The wheel returns to center at high speeds, but definitely not lower speeds. But then, I wouldn't really expect it to at lower speeds. That is just a function of the caster of the front tires isn't it?

My brother in law bought a 19 XPT last month, I'll have to see if I can test drive his and see if it's any different.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I think a lot of this is related to tire style / width . I noticed when I changed from wider tires with a larger contact patch to the more narrow BFG KM3 32 inch my steering was much easier to turn. The KM3 tires have a much smaller contact patch and rolling resistance is also less It was a very noticeable change it took some getting use to ...much lighter feel

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder how much variation exists from unit to unit in the exact same model year and configuration. The tires are still at the 16psi from the dealer, and this increased effort is experienced on hard pack, softer dirt, gravel, my back yard, etc. Mud is the only thing it hasn't been in yet. The wheel returns to center at high speeds, but definitely not lower speeds. But then, I wouldn't really expect it to at lower speeds. That is just a function of the caster of the front tires isn't it?

My brother in law bought a 19 XPT last month, I'll have to see if I can test drive his and see if it's any different.
My steering self centers

Even though it’s a new machine I wonder if something (ballpoint, Tre etc) is binding

·
Registered
180 Posts
My '19 Turbo S Velocity is a lot harder to steer than my '15 XP1K was. I complained to the dealer as well , they drove it and I drove a brand new one and there were the same on both machines.

·
Jay
53 Posts
Really odd stuff. My '18 Turbo XP steering is so effortless I didn't like it the first few times I drove it. Almost feels like the wheels aren't touching the ground it turns so easy. I'm used to it now and actually appreciate the lack of effort after 7 or 8 hours of driving.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The XPT has an upgraded EPS motor over the older 1ks as well as a larger rack. Steering on a new stock machine should be almost effortless. Once you start changing tires / wheels, a-arms, etc... there is a lot that can affect the steering effort.

·
EE
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The XPT has an upgraded EPS motor over the older 1ks as well as a larger rack. Steering on a new stock machine should be almost effortless. Once you start changing tires / wheels, a-arms, etc... there is a lot that can affect the steering effort.

This is what I thought, which is why I am wondering if I have an issue. Everything is stock still. I will put it up in the air tonight and see what I can find. Maybe I just need to do some pushups...lol

·
EE
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went over everything and nothing is binding or hanging up, and doesn't feel stiff or anything. Feels exactly the same as my 1k felt. I did notice my passenger side brake was dragging a bit though...no apparent reason why either. The set screw was adjusted properly. I fiddled with it a while and it opened up some, but then the pads aren't even bedded in yet so it's whatever. Looks like I need to get a grippy steering wheel or steering wheel cover. That should at least make it easier to hold with one hand.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Same here. My 16 xpt was super easy. The 19 is stiff. I just figured they changed something

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put my Turbo S in the air today and checked the steering system completely. Found all looked good. I pulled to plastic cover off of the power steering unit and inspected all the connectors and steering u-joints. Then out of curiosity I loosened all the pinch bolts and just kind of wiggled everything around a little bit ( power steering unit, steering shafts, even pulled up on the steering wheel). Then I retightened all the pinch bolts. I then drove it around the neighborhood and out on the street up to about 50 mph. Then steering is easier to turn now and seems a lot more in line of what it should be. Still not as easy as my '15 XP1K was but this machine has 32" tires and a winch mounted out front.

Just something that I tried and seemed to help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just bought a 2019 XPT and asked about that. The dealer said Polaris did change this because in previous years the steering was so light that there wasn’t much feedback and at high speeds it was squirrelly. So it feels like instead of modifying the speed assist curve they just offset it to have more effort.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Unfortunately dealerships are very unreliable for good information ...they will tell you anything you need to hear ...no offense....this forum will tell you a whole lot more real world situations

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yes, old story. When autos switched over to rack power steering it was the same thing. Lack of feedback made cars harder to handle, so they lessened the amount of power steering to give more feedback. Suspected that was the case with Polaris. Nice to find a dealer that would admit it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Our new 19 xpt is also heavy steering compared to our 13 800.
And of course I felt the need for 32s and it's even stiffer now. Like others have mentioned it's worse at low speed. I'd just mash on it but the trees cause sudden stops. Lol
Guess we'll just have to eat our wheaties.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unfortunately dealerships are very unreliable for good information ...they will tell you anything you need to hear ...no offense....this forum will tell you a whole lot more real world situations
It made sense to me. If only a few people had "issues" with hard steering it would be something like over tightened bolts. But since basically everyone is noticing this more than likely Polaris made a change. I don't trust dealers either but on a test drive I noticed it right away so I asked, they didn't tell me before hand.

·
EE
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after some more seat time on the trails I definitely am not happy with the power steering, even on these stock tires at 16psi. Is anyone aware of a way to increase the "gain" on the assist? There must be some sort of calibration procedure or programming?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts