Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to see if anyone has swapped their clutch cover (inner and outer) to the newer style version like on the 2018 turbo s and 2019 turbo s 4.
The style cover on my model was not used again and I wonder if Polaris knows it doesn't flow well and went with an updated/better design. Even the 2019 non turbo s, turbo models have this newer design and don't use the 2018 clutch cover.

So, has anyone swapped it and thoughts?
Is it worth the $500-600 in parts?
Did you see a difference in belt temps, if you have a gauge?

I'm at my wits end with this dam 2018 and belt temp issues.

I have a blowhole, I have the BMP primary fin, I have no over travel issues, I have tried a clutch kit vs stock clutching (choose stock).
I'm just looking for opinions on this specific topic and not other ideas to try, appreciate any help.

pics are of the 2018 clutch cover which I have, and then clutch covers from a 2018 turbo s and 2019 turbo s 4 (just for visual reference)

Attachments

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,108 Posts
I have seen that it actually doesn’t increase airflow significantly at all, but I can’t confirm those reports

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
To the Op ...I assume you have a belt gauge ...what belt temps are you seeing currently with the 2018 stock cover set up ? What type of riding are you doing when you see the higher temps ?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
All the newer clutch design does better than the older is it expels the hot air better and faster. The exhaust of the air in the new is bigger/wider and has less restriction. End of the day you can suck in as much cool air as you please, but if you can't push it out essentially as fast as it gets sucked in, it doesn't help much. There is a mod you can do to your cvt housing to help expel it quicker for far less than upgrading to the newer design. However, the mod involves removing your housing, cutting out a section, and welding (aluminum) in a new flat section. This is on my to do list, haven't done it myself yet.

Now let me tell you about Airdam clutches... lol. Damn @RWB713 getting me with that fanboy line. Oh and P.s. the mod above did come to my attention by way of Adam at Airdam :grin

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
So how much cooler does the 2018 xpt run on average, after only doing the cover mod to expel / move more air? Or how much cooler does a 2019 run with this updated design

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I have been told again by Adam that the 16-18 cover actually moves more air as in the intake of it and the capability it has to suck/pull air in is greater than the new design. The benefit to the new design is it blows directly on the secondary and finally the exhaust with regards to getting that hot air out. I have seen the newer cvt cover have around 10-20 degrees cooler belt temps riding same areas with similar tries and weights compared to the older design.

Now how much cooler temps do you get with the clutch housing mod on the older design? I'm not positive, I didn't ask when I had this convo with Adam. He did send me some pics of this mod and exactly how it works, with a visual, and it definitely makes sense when you see it. I'd post them on here, but not sure he wants me sharing them as I have never seen them posted or talked about before. AKA email me. I would imagine that 10-20 degree difference between the new design would be gone though, if not better.

·
Standard Vendor
1,530 Posts
We have not seen a huge difference in efficiency with the 18'-19' cover versus the 16'-18' XPT cover. The main intake tube was moved from a more central location to directly over the secondary. Neither has added any additional volume of air being drawn into the cover. The system is still engine rpm dependent which decreases overall efficiency of the system. Our "Blaster" kit adds an extra volume of high velocity cooling air to the system which aids in consistent cooling across the board. We have also addressed the issue of allowing more heat to be exhausted with the addition of our "Moflow". We have helped a ton of customers maintain better and more consistent belt temps with these kits.

Whether you consider our kits or not, we suggest that you start by removing the inline blower. They have proven to work at low speed and rpm, but beyond that they can be restrictive to the stock intake track.
Regards,

CVT Blaster II

XPT Blaster II - MoFLOW package

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you looked into the clutch breather that Aftermarket Assassins came out with? You basically add a secong clutch intake that goes into the clutch cover directly over the secondary like the newer models.

https://aftermarketassassins.com/products?olsPage=products/rzr-xp-turbo-clutch-breather&page=2

I left my Blowhole in place on the primary and added this in to allow the clutch to breathe naturally as well. It's not a perfect solution but for $150 and easy installation it's not bad. I also added the primary clutch fan blade they came out with to move more air at higher RPM's. It bolts right onto the primary spring plate.

https://aftermarketassassins.com/products?olsPage=products/aa-xpt-primary-clutch-fan-blade&page=1

On our last trip the only times I got over 200 was when I was really flogging in through the soft stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i ordered this kit. Got everything from my local dealer for 225 after tax. They offer a 20% discount on all OEM parts
Man i sure hope this is the answer to the high belt temps on my 18 turbo 4
Needed a new belt, so even if i dont see better belts temps, it will still be kinda worth it..haha

Has anyone tried the kit yet with any luck? better temps on their guage?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you looked into the clutch breather that Aftermarket Assassins came out with? You basically add a secong clutch intake that goes into the clutch cover directly over the secondary like the newer models.

Welcome to AA! SxS Parts & Performance

I left my Blowhole in place on the primary and added this in to allow the clutch to breathe naturally as well. It's not a perfect solution but for $150 and easy installation it's not bad. I also added the primary clutch fan blade they came out with to move more air at higher RPM's. It bolts right onto the primary spring plate.

Welcome to AA! SxS Parts & Performance

On our last trip the only times I got over 200 was when I was really flogging in through the soft stuff.
How do you like both of those? I was just talking to mike about them. What year you running them on? He also told me to remove the upper shelf as he calls it. Have to remove the secondary to acces a couple bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

1 - 12 of 12 Posts