Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install the winch I got from the dealer when I purchased the rzr. It's the 3500# part number 2881671. On there website this is also what comes up for the 18 turbo. My questions has anyone with a 17 or 18 installed the Polaris winch, it seems the mounting plate does not fit in between the frame where it is supposed to. The front holes line up perfect but the rear holes are to high and the way the frame is it doesn't seem like it is the right part. My dealer is closed Sunday and Monday so just trying to figure it out before I can call them on Tuesday. Tried to get some pics, you can see the front holes line up, the backs holes are almost an inch off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I’d say install a winch bumper I installed one in there on my 16. What a stupid place to jamb a winch in. It is a tight fit!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the winch in its not that tight, but the bracket I think is wrong. The 16 to 17/18 frames are different in the front from what I've read

·
Registered
905 Posts
I put a motoalliance winch mount in my '18 xpt4 and it fit great. But I was told by the dealer that the factory winch mounts are a very tight fit.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys, very tight is fine but I do not see a way that this mount will fit. It says it fits 2016 xp1000, and xp turbo. Basically I'm thinking if the frames are different in the 18 I need a different mount maybe the dealer messed up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so everyone knows I got an update from the dealer and there techs. They said its the right part but it never fits right and they told me to use a hammer and a pry bar possibly a vice and bend it a little bit. Not what I hoped for when you buy oem but if anyone else has the same problem or is looking for a winch id go with some of this other systems that everyone says just bolts right in. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I picked up the Super ATV 4500 for my 17 XP4T. I found, the KPI winch mount gave me much more room than the Super ATV mount. For $50, it was a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had the same problem with the winch plate for each of our RZRs. The plates were close to fitting but would not quite fit. I used a small lever to make the first plate fit. The second and third install I had to use a small hammer and a block of wood to get them into place.
Getting the winch into the XPT was tricky but it did fit after quite a bit of wrangling. I recall jacking the front end up and removing a lower shock bolt to gain enough room to fit the winch.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
121 Posts
On our 19 XPT I had to put the winch up in there before bolting the plate in. It's not real fun but doable. Slide it to the opposite side you are bolting. Don't forget the loctite, it's not a sport you want to play twice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On our 19 XPT I had to put the winch up in there before bolting the plate in. It's not real fun but doable. Slide it to the opposite side you are bolting. Don't forget the loctite, it's not a sport you want to play twice"

I used a high speed rotary grinder to open up the rear holes a little, Then it was doable, but not easy..

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The problem is One: getting it in. It is doable. Second: The heat from the engine and turbo after cooler is very hard on the winch. Can warp the end caps and make the winch no usable. Best is to mount it to a bumper. Just finished moving mine to this bumper:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/polaris-extreme-duty-front-bumper-p?s=1158689

Bumper install was very easy. Will not mount winches inside again as heat is very hard on them then add the heat when you are using it with the engine heat. I think that will equal a short life and may not work when you need it the most. Really like the fact it is easy to get to now and makes it run cooler and easy to make sure rope is taken care of.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, cutting and bending was not an option, installed the HMF bumper with a winch mount. Still in the middle of install and wiring everything up, but so far I like it.

Also attached some photos of the Polaris winch mount plate which shows how far off the bolt holes were.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
So, cutting and bending was not an option, installed the HMF bumper with a winch mount. Still in the middle of install and wiring everything up, but so far I like it.

Also attached some photos of the Polaris winch mount plate which shows how far off the bolt holes were.
I like this set-up. Thanks for sharing pics.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looks good. Will your grill fit without cutting ? I have a 19 velocity and apparently cannot put the winch inside

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
I think Assault sells a kit with a winch bumper and a plate that mounts your winch inside the machine. You do have to use the short spool model winches though(ATV Style).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts