Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know the exact speed for one of these , im gonna be racing a 2016 xp4 turbo this summer and heard that the turbo xp4 tops at 82,ive had my machine up to 80 and it still was pulling

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have seen 82, but I would not want to maintain that speed and RPM for a long time. Tune or programmer can increase speed and RPM. If you are racing a different rig I'm not sure why this matters? TRE is not designed to race. Might do well at King of Hammers. However, the overall design is not the best rig for racing.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Your gonna get smoked. ( or should not be a race really) the xpt will hit 80 + way before you do.. I guess it how long you want to stay in the throttle -
Stock for stock the XPT is a good machine- Overall design they are pretty close to the same IMHO ( except for weight and length).. The motors are completely different in CC's respects.
I can clutch a machine to go way over 80ish- just takes long legs to get there, and the bottom end is a little light.

My TRE will run 80+ at over 9,000' elevations But I clutch for it. I never ran mine stock cause the stock clutching leaves a lot of HP on the table..I am happy at 80+ for them race day's and still have the low end grunt for the crawling or high range maneuvers .. Like I said the stock clutching on the T&R leaves HP on the table... A simple helix change will get you noticed over a stock T&R.

·
Registered
34 Posts
does any one know the exact speed for one of these , im gonna be racing a 2016 xp4 turbo this summer and heard that the turbo xp4 tops at 82,ive had my machine up to 80 and it still was pulling
I see the US flags under the profile pics but I still have to ask. Are you all talking kilometers or MPH? I've had mine up to 50-60 MPH on the highway in Arkansas. But, I've never maxed it out. You're saying a stock TRE can reach 80 MPH?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Highrider, I agree that clutching might help lay down the power differently. I think you didn't explain it correctly and this might cause confusion for people who don't understand the engine and clutch/CVT operation.

Clutching has nothing to do with the max horsepower an engine makes. The motor makes X number of horsepower and without engine mods or engine upgrades nothing you do to a clutch changes that maximum number said engine makes. Clutch tuning can change the shift out points and how power is applied. The performance gained from clutch mods helps the engine utilize the max power it makes at different RPMs, ground speed and torque loads. In a racing environment the clutch is a tuning tool used to get the power within the RPM range when and where you want it for the intended use. It can help find that sweet spot for your intended use.

As an example, think of the clutch like an automatic transmission in your daily driver. It's a completely different component of the car from the engine itself. Yes, you can put the trans in 1st gear or in this case low gear. The car only goes as fast as first gear allows. The engine revs to max RPM and that's all it can do. The limitation is the 1st or low gear ratio. Nothing you do to the clutch or transmission increases the HP the engine can make. By allowing the trans to shift into high gear you can reach top speed. Again, the clutch has nothing to do with increasing the power of the engine. It's just transmitting that power through the transmission, then to the wheels and increasing ground speed till it tops out. Clutch springs and wt control what happens under acceleration up to top speed.

So if you want more HP that requires engine mods. If you want to change shift RPM and at what speed the clutch shifts out in relation to ground speed that requires clutch mods. So please be clear. These units work together, but changes to the clutch don't increase engine power. Changes to the engine don't change the clutch spring tension or overall top gear ratio. Two very different and separate units that work together.

With that said, the TRE is a great all around machine that does many things well. It's not a true race rig, but with enough money you can make anything a contender. Cost a lot less to start racing with a unit designed for racing IMO. I bet that info was clear as mud :)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Pro 4driver... I agree to a point- all I was putting out there without getting into the dynamics- is that stock for stock the XPT will be ahead in the long run...
Clutching will improve performance by putting the AVAILABLE HP to the ground ( as stock clutching is simply not all there)- not making use of all stock HP

With performance mods you should have to reclutch to realize the true gains...

The info was not at all like mud-(y) been clutching for over 30 years-and understood what your point of view was and I respect that ......
In a nut shell ....I can ( and have) re-clutched a stock machine and utilize that stock HP the motor is making and run circles around a machine that comes stock from Polaris.... I can tell you understand what I am putting down..as simple as flyweights and spring rates at my nosebleed elevations do not perform down at lower elevations-hence the stock clutching really needs help...
A simple helix change does wonders to the bottom end providing a person understands the progressive angles,and a helix is the first biggest change that makes our's T&E exciting, and puts the same HP as all all T&E but I focus to get all available HP to the ground ( or close to it) elevation dependent of course.

Anyhoo... it's all fun and our shop enjoys making these machines run the best they can, and convey that to the clients that there is no need in spending buckets of money needlessly. Clutching is fun and really a performance enhancement.... but it does not make HP.. we just get it to the ground

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now that sounds right. I was just looking out for those that don't understand. Lot of newer owners are looking for info and easy to loose the meaning of what is provided. Great response.
Sending you PM on clutch work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts