Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody taken the transmission out of their rzr turbo to install new bearings? I started the process and then got stuck when I couldn’t remove the torx on the clutch case. I also couldn’t get a wrench to get to a nut that is tucked on the passenger side of the transmission. I didn’t have the the right size torx (I guess it is a T47?). I’m picking up the T47 and a crowsfoot to hopefully alleviate my problems. Does anybody know if the clutch case has to come off to remove the transmission? If anybody here has ever removed the transmission, I would appreciate any tips. I can’t seem to find a YouTube video of someone removing a turbo’s transmission. There only seems to be non-turbo videos. Thanks in advance.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
It’s pretty straightforward, and you’re on the right track, crowsfoot is what you need to get to that nut, inner clutch housing does have to come off, you don’t have to pull the thermostat or break the coolant system open ( I’m guessing you figured that out since you need the crows foot ).... it’s a bear to wrestle in and out of there, but you’ve already found the challenging parts. Don’t forget to use the proper torque sequence on the inner clutch cover / mounting bolts upon re installation so everything lined up right.

I highly recommend you pick up a service manual for your machine, it’s makes everything a lot easier.... there’s one posted for sale in the classifieds right now for your machine even

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Im not any help but if you own a micrometer, can you do me a huge favor?

Once you get the three 10mm torx head screws out and remove the inner cover, can you measure the depth of those holes?

I have to drill and tap those holes on my XP1000 motor. I have the screws and inner cover so I can measure how deep I need to go, but I’d like to know how deep Polaris drills them so I know if I have any allowable fudge factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@RWB713 thanks for the response! Does the manual have the proper torque sequence? I have a pdf copy of the manual but didn’t see anything in there for that.
@SNWMBL I’ll give it my best shot.
Do either of you guys happen to know what size torx I need? I just tried the T47 and it seems to be a little too big. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I’m working an evening shift, I can check when I get home if no one else has answered by then.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You're on the right track. I was able to get those nuts with a standard wrench though. Just had mine out a couple months ago to do some upgrades. Like mentioned above, you do not have to pull the bed, coolant lines and such.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
@RWB713 thanks for the response! Does the manual have the proper torque sequence? I have a pdf copy of the manual but didn’t see anything in there for that.
@SNWMBL I’ll give it my best shot.
Do either of you guys happen to know what size torx I need? I just tried the T47 and it seems to be a little too big. Thanks!
I don't remember off the top of my head what size those Torx bolts are, but I do remember that I was not impressed with how any of the bits fit inside the star....so at least that sounds "normal" lol

Page 6.8 of the manual I have has the torque spec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep my 47 just took a little "convincing" to go in. Ending up working though.

@RWB713 thanks. I appreciate the pic. I'll have to use that when I reinstall the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just tried a 45 first and it was a bit loose so I tried my 47 and it fit perfect.
Hey @SNWMBL, off subject question but looking to do something similar and wondering if you could shed some light... I blew my 2018 turbo motor, I found a 2017 kraftwerks supercharged XP motor and was wondering if it would bolt in to my XP4 Turbo drivetrain relatively easily, am I way off in my thinking? TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
@Redek9 not really, you would need to change the mounts, driveshaft, clutch, clutch housing, wiring harness, reprogram the ecu, etc...just to name a few.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Redek9 not really, you would need to change the mounts, driveshaft, clutch, clutch housing, wiring harness, reprogram the ecu, etc...just to name a few.
@RZR_Joe Ecu, harness and programming come with motor, should be ok there but you’re saying mounts, clutch, housing, driveshaft etc, would have to come from the xp?

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
@RZR_Joe Ecu, harness and programming come with motor, should be ok there but you’re saying mounts, clutch, housing, driveshaft etc, would have to come from the xp?
Actually driveshaft would be ok, but the clutches / housing, motor mounts are different. Primary would need to be a 1k.

@SNWMBL what did you do with clutches & housing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually driveshaft would be ok, but the clutches / housing, motor mounts are different. Primary would need to be a 1k.

@SNWMBL what did you do with clutches & housing?
@RZR_Joe Gotcha, I’ll have clutch kit that comes with motor, housing would have to be my cvt housing or the xp housing? I might have access to the xp motor mounts and primary as well, sorry for the pestering questions but I have a feeling I’m really close to making it work, just looking for all info necessary... thanks again

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The engine blocks are identical aside from the CVT holes aren’t drilled and tapped for the XPT housing. The crank stubs are the same so the XPT primary will bolt right on, they even use the same primary bolt. Your XPT motor mounts are the same as well.

The only thing you’ll have to deal with is the 3 mounting holes for the (3) 10mm Torx head around the crank, everything else will bolt up just fine.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The engine blocks are identical aside from the CVT holes aren’t drilled and tapped for the XPT housing. The crank stubs are the same so the XPT primary will bolt right on, they even use the same primary bolt. Your XPT motor mounts are the same as well.

The only thing you’ll have to deal with is the 3 mounting holes for the (3) 10mm Torx head around the crank, everything else will bolt up just fine.
What did you do for clutching? Something custom or did you use RS1 stuff in the turbo clutches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
SLP RS1 clutch kit but it’s not quite right, going to do some clutch tuning here in a few weeks to get it dialed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts