Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking at buying a nice 2016 turbo RZR but once it’s warmed up it starts to misfire and backfire. It never overheats and only backfires once it’s warmed up. Any ideas what it might be? Could it be an internal engine issue like a burnt valve or a crack in the cylinder or valve seat that opens up when it gets hot? It’s not burning any coolant that I Can tell. Or is it something simple like a bad coil pack that fails once it’s warmed up? Thanks.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,100 Posts
Backfiring out of the intake or exhaust? Make sure the spark arrestor isn’t clogged is an easy first check, also the fuel tank vent & wastegate vent.

Really need to check fuel pressure & do a leak down & compression test with the engine hot. If it doesn’t have any engine codes present, then it’s likely internal engine or the fuel pump. I had a similar issue that turned out to be the fuel pump, it would run fine for an hour or so, and at low throttle, but after a while if you tried to get on it, it would fall flat on it’s face and pop & sputter.

Could be the belt, but that normally causes it to go into limp mode & will give an engine code.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey guys, I’m looking at buying a nice 2016 turbo RZR but once it’s warmed up it starts to misfire and backfire. It never overheats and only backfires once it’s warmed up. Any ideas what it might be? Could it be an internal engine issue like a burnt valve or a crack in the cylinder or valve seat that opens up when it gets hot? It’s not burning any coolant that I Can tell. Or is it something simple like a bad coil pack that fails once it’s warmed up? Thanks.
Doesn’t sound that nice...just kidding. If you can get a good deal it’s worth considering if it’s had the recalls done to it too. The map could be too lean, or like RWB said plugged fuel filter causing it to go lean. More likely to happen only when accelerating though if it’s the fuel filter. Sometimes a vacuum leak will make it do that.
Does it have a tuner? You gotta figure out if it’s backfiring through exhaust or intake too.
Unfortunately there is no “common rzr problem with easy solution” type answer for this. Could be bad valves, could be a dirty filter...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s only got 3k miles on it with a ton of aftermarket stuff along with new clutches, bead locks, kickin stereo, aftermarket seats, full metal doors, upgraded inter cooler and a few other options. Sounds like it’s backfiring out the exhaust once it’s warmed up. I can get it for $10k, good price even if it needs some work?

·
Can't 'Member.
629 Posts
10k.
To answer your question, it could very well be an internal problem that is going to cost you some serious $. I would not go near it unless you are a pretty good wrench and have access to some specific tools...like a Leak down tester and a compression test kit, factory service manual and the time to spend diagnosing the problems.
Don't go into this assuming you are going to find a bad or unplugged sensor and will fix it and be out driving it tomorrow, and live happily ever after. Ya might, but then again... He is selling it because he is frustrated with it. It is a 16, and guys seem to believe these cars had some issues.
This is a project car. If you are looking for a project and have the tools, time, and skills to dig into it then it is worth thinking about. If you don't, then walk away. I have the tools and time, ( skills is a maybe LOL) and I wouldn't consider it without spending a day at least leaking it down and eliminating some of the more $ possibilities.
Just be honest with yourself when you are evaluating it.

70 Posts
I agree with FBT!!! Great deals are always great deals for a reason because there’s always a lot of problems!
Are there any codes, check engine lights anything like that on the car? If not I would walk away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I've got a leak down gauge and a compression gauge but I don't think I want deal with finding someone else's issue. Plus it's a 6+ hour drive for me so it's really hard to even look at it without blowing a weekend. Guy gave me his number and then turned his phone off or something since my calls keep getting dumped to a blank voicemail box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like he sold it knowing it had a serious problem so he dumped it cheap and does not want to ever hear from the buyer again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts