Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Was just wondering who rides without power steering and how do you like it? Personnally, I'd never buy one without it but here in NY state if I got a RZR with power steering I wouldn't be able to register it. Therefore I'd be illegal on the trails. I bought this one knowing I can register it and install the power steering later. I haven't driven it enough to make my own decision. I can get the Superatv kit for just over $600.

Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What do you guys think? Was just wondering who rides without power steering and how do you like it? Personnally, I'd never buy one without it but here in NY state if I got a RZR with power steering I wouldn't be able to register it. Therefore I'd be illegal on the trails. I bought this one knowing I can register it and install the power steering later. I haven't driven it enough to make my own decision. I can get the Superatv kit for just over $600.

Whats your opinion?
Is it not considered an ATV for trail riding if it has power steering in NY State?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot register a SXS in NY if its over 1000lbs. My 2016 570 weighs 996lbs. If I got one with power steering it would be over 1000lbs. They go by the manufacturers dry weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year now. Base model 2018 570. No power steering. I've never had one with power steering so I cant really compaire, but I do fine with out it. The only time i really notice it is in a large hole in 4x4 that is rutted out . We have alot of rocky terrain up here.
But its totally manageable and for the price of the kits, I dont think I will bother .

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That's an odd law. Thank God I live in a state that isn't so restrictive.
Power steering isn't a must have feature. I've turned mine off several times. On the LE, EPS shuts off if ignition is left on for 5 minutes without starting to keep from draining the battery. It's definately manageable without it, but I'll drive 150+ miles on a day trip over logging roads, tight trails and nasty rock gardens. With power steering dampening those jerky movements, it definately reduces fatigue especially in the wrists and shoulders. That said, forest service and logging roads are more fun to drive with EPS defeated. The steering has more feedback through the steering wheel.
Just for s&g's I checked out the specs in the service manual. The 2016 570 EPS is under 1k pounds... By a pound.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is a strange law for sure. My 570 is a 2013 base model so no power steering. I have not really felt like I have needed it but I have not really trail ridden one with it. My father in law has a 900 with power steering and it is much nicer to drive on pavement with the power steering than mine is without.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Are you sure that's pounds? Or it can't be over 1000 cc's of engine displacement?

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
The dry weight of an XP1000 is 1369 lbs. So nobody can register an XP1000 in New York??? I think not.
Dry Weight1,369 lb

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the base model with power steering added on and like it very much. Had the power steering put on by the dealer when purchased in a package deal. I rely like the ease of the way that it steers now. I am glad that It was added.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My last 2 atv didnt have power steering and I never missed it. Now that I have tried it I am not sure if I could go back. Totally spoilt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dry weight of an XP1000 is 1369 lbs. So nobody can register an XP1000 in New York??? I think not.
Dry Weight1,369 lb
I think so....

From the NYS DMV: An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle with two or more wheels that is manufactured for sale to be used primarily off-highway or in off-road competitions, and that is no wider than 70 inches and weighs no more than 1,000 pounds. This does not include vehicles manufactured for off-highway use and designed exclusively for travel on snow or ice, and supported by one or more skis, belts or cleats that utilize an endless belt tread. Those vehicles, which include snowmobiles, are subject to other laws and regulations.

People still buy them here and register them out of state. That gets you a plate. But if you are stopped you could be ticketed or worse. For the most part I'm told the police leave you alone. People have been trying to get this antiquated law changed for years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm shocked! I thought for sure everyone would be for power steering! I thought it would be a no-brainer! Appreciate the insights, you've given me things to think about. I should probably drive it first and then make my decision. But that won't be until April! Winter here in upstate NY! Snowmobile time!

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
My old 570 was non-power steering. Rarely thought I needed it, only in the rock gardens.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The 570 steers very light. PS is nice but not a deal breaker. If I bought another 570 without I might put PS on if the price was very good. Otherwise I would live with armstrong steering.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
By "register" do you mean "street legal"?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Maybe just not able to register as an ATV for those trails? Nothing in that quotes law said UTV or side by side. It only defined an ATV.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but if they go by manufacturers dry weight, how would they know it was over 1000lbs? Do they weigh the machine to get the registration?

By that logic, you can't even add 4lbs of accessories to it at all?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By "register" do you mean "street legal"?

Register as in get a plate.

Maybe a dumb question but if they go by manufacturers dry weight, how would they know it was over 1000lbs? Do they weigh the machine to get the registration?

By that logic, you can't even add 4lbs of accessories to it at all?
I believe they use the dry weight the manufacture lists for that machine.

I'm no expert in NYS motor vehicles law. My 570 is listed as 996 lbs on the registration. So I believe its really registered as an ATV. Not sure if the link will work but it kinda explains it.

And none of your questions are dumb!!! Its a dumb law. SXS are very popular and they need to change the law.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Maybe just not able to register as an ATV for those trails? Nothing in that quotes law said UTV or side by side. It only defined an ATV.
Nope. Their laws are stupid. "any self-propelled vehicle with two or more wheels that is manufactured for sale to be used primarily off-highway or in off-road competitions, and that is no wider than 70 inches and weighs no more than 1,000 pounds. " So they can't even sell 72" machines like the Turbo S, or heavier machines like anything bigger than a 570 RZR. "ATV dealers are required by law to register every ATV they sell to New York State residents or to non-residents before the purchaser takes delivery" unless taking it out of state.
And a s**tload of other regulations and requirements. Sure glad I don't live there!

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Register as in get a plate.
For us that's a bit misleading. Most states in the Mountain West, plating your RZR means you added a kit and registered it as street-legal and can drive on (mostly) anything except Interstates and limited-access freeways. The normal off-road registration is just a decal/sticker.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts