Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in January of 2016, I sent my ECU for my 2016 XP Turbo to Evolution Powersports for a reflash. I did the Stage II. I shipped it to them on 1/29/2016 and received, what I thought was my ECU, back the 2 days later. I didn't take much notice at the look of it before shipping it to them as I was under a time constraint for a trip. I took it out probably 3-4 times with no issues (that I was aware of).

Last week I started my RZR and it was idling very rough and giving a "Check Engine" light. I turned it off and started it again and it was still doing the same thing. Since I have a trip coming up, I took it to my local dealership here in Orange County, Mission Motorsports. They told me they were getting a code for bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensors). I authorized them to tear into it and test them physically. They saw my ECU with the Evo Powersports sticker on it and it raised their suspicions. I know most dealers like to blame everything on aftermarket products so I wasn't convinced and was on Evo's side and not let them jump to conclusions. As they dug further in, they told me there were several service codes on the ECU, some from other countries. They went further and said this thing has been tampered with BIG TIME and asked where I got it from. I told them I sent my ECU to be reflashed and that's what they sent back. They told me confidently that the ECU was not the one that came with the vehicle, which I what I sent Evo Powersports. The ECU had been cracked open and re-glued all around it and was almost double the weight of a factory ECU. The serial number for the ECU was gone as well, which I hadn't noticed when I got it back. The dealer tried to reflash the ECU back to stock and although it took the file, it still gave the same problem and wouldn't open the throttle up but 1%.

Long story short, the dealer performed their tests of my throttle bodies and associated sensors and they all tested good. Furthermore, they removed an ECU from a similar model and plugged it into my RZR and it worked without issue. It was now determined 100% that the ECU was in fact bad.

I called Evo Powersports last week and spoke to a sales person named Shea. I told Shea exactly what was going on, step by step. As I found out what the dealer told me, I would then convey that information to him. I asked that the owner call me so I can discuss. I was being totally cool and wasn't being accusatory and that my main concern was getting my RZR up and running. But the owner never called me and was told he's "too busy" and conveyed to the sales guy that his solution was to flash my new ECU for free. WTF? I told him that wasn't acceptable and I wanted the owner to call me to find out more about how I got some old ECU that had been around the world and back. Why if it's just a reflash was this ECU cracked open and super glued back together? Why does this ECU weigh almost double what the stock one weighs? What was put inside of it to add so much weight?

The dealer printed the codes and logs inside the ECU and there were VIN numbers from Lebanon and Mexico. Additionally, whether it was my RZR or another, there were all kinds of service codes in it as well. The odd thing is the date stamps are all within the time frame it's been in my possession, which I don't understand at all.

At the end of this all, I found a used and tested ECU from another 2016 from a reputable seller on eBay and just dropped it off to the dealer. They just called me and confirmed it was good and they'd have my RZR back together tomorrow.

I haven't determined what I'm going to do as far as action yet, but I wanted to get this out to others. I know there are a lot of satisfied people out there and i was one of them for a while. Tomorrow is one week that they've been aware of the problem and the owner hasn't attempted to call me once. I own two businesses am just as busy as the next person, but if a customer is asking me to call them over an issue, I'm never too busy to talk to them about it or come up with a solution. Shea, the sales guy, said this has never happened before. If this has never happened before, why didn't the owner call me to discuss? If there was nothing shady going on with sending me a different ECU, why didn't he call me? I feel I was very fair in how I approached it and gave him every opportunity to make it right. I now have spent $600+ with the dealer for labor and $450 on the used ECU and the company that caused it has nothing to say except he'll flash the new one for free. Crazy!

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ya I would spend the xtra money and have whatever company send me one already flashed and keep my factory one

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
They did a stage 1 on my car in 2015, I just had a stage 3 done , I got my original back , I know because I had my name on it with a sharpy Same one but did notice with the stage 3 that they had cracked it open and then resealed it , so don’t know what the difference between a 1/3 to have to open up , but it runs like a bat outta hell ,time will tell but I’ve had a flash in it longer than a stock program and never any troubles sorry to hear you had any troubles, hope they take care of it

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Just FYI on them opening the ECU. In early 16 this was the way they did it. They would open the ecu, do whatever they do and then fill it with repotting material and seal it back up. That was just standard procedure at that time. I sent one out for stage one and later resent it for stage 2 and they had a hell of a time opening it up the second time. Both times I received original ECU back as I marked the case. This explains the added weight nd opening but not the codes or different vin numbers.
On our other car I went with AA and Dynojet and am pretty happy with it.

Hopefully they do something to take care of you, they have been very responsive with some issues I’ve had with other products

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
They have always stood behind what they do. I have had them reflash 2 RZR's. I had a small issue and they were going to reflash as well for free. I figured out what it was and did not have to send it in. That is standard procedure. I own two businesses as well. I have to tell you, today there was no way I could call my wife back. Now as far as that not being your ECU my response would be, I would like a new a new ECU flashed please.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They have always stood behind what they do. I have had them reflash 2 RZR's. I had a small issue and they were going to reflash as well for free. I figured out what it was and did not have to send it in. That is standard procedure. I own two businesses as well. I have to tell you, today there was no way I could call my wife back. Now as far as that not being your ECU my response would be, I would like a new a new ECU flashed please.

What does today have to do with it lol ....

Agreed you sent them your ecu anf money with expectations of receiving a flashed and functioning ecu in return. One of 3 things need to happen ... They send you a full refund. And cover the cost of the ecu you purchased anf they can take their dud back ....or send you a new flashed ecu that functions provided your willing to still use their product .... Or send a new ecu unflashed and provide a refund. Anywhich way you slice it something shoild be done.

If it were me i would be taking option number one and then spending the money on a Dynojet with AA tunes ... But I am a little biased ... However that might be tough ... So really a refund and a paid learning experience and then an AA loaded Dynojet.

Thats just my 3.68 cents .... Or whatever the current exchange rate is.:wink

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Whenever I got a tune from EVO I always purchased a new ECU and had them flash it and kept my stocker. Agreed on AA's tunes as I have both and in comparison AA's out perform EVO. With the PCVX you can check and clear codes and change tunes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
$600.00 labor @ the dealer??? A little excessive IMO. Swapping an ECU is about 10 minutes. Especially when they could see it had been modded.

Sam

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Since everyone is quick to place blame, I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Whats to say EVO's flash even caused the TPS codes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They actually got codes from the ECU that it was the throttle position sensors or throttle body so they removed and tested along with checked wiring, etc. They had also taken other ECUs and tried to flash to compare to the one that was in mine to see if it was in fact the ECU or another issue. There was a lot of troubleshooting (5 hours billed) so I'm not going to argue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since everyone is quick to place blame, I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Whats to say EVO's flash even caused the TPS codes?
You're right and I was on their side in the beginning. Just about every vehicle I own or have owned has aftermarket tuning and/or parts. I know dealers are quick to place blame on anything aftermarket. But the dealer troubleshot this thing for a few days. They printed out everything, including all of the other codes on the ECU showing it NOT being the one my RZR came with, including VINs from other units in other countries. The dealer flashed the ECU with the stock file, but the same issue was still there. When they flashed another ECU from a new unit, it worked and the issue was gone. Who touched the ECU? Evo did. Not sure who else would be to blame, but when they are the ones that peeled it open, removed the identifier label, and aren't even calling me about the issue and hiding from it, what would your assumption be?

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten here and my goal isn't to bash anyone or any business unjustifiably, but to share the facts of what has happened. I'm sure there are a lot of happy customers and that's great. They wouldn't be in business if every tune they did was crap or caused issues. But mine did unfortunately and when problems happen, it reveals a company's owner's true colors and what they're made of. The fact that the owner hasn't even called me tells me that he has something to hide, otherwise why wouldn't he call me with some sort of explanation? I'm sharing this so people know the risk of this happening to them. I was told my ECU was being flashed and sent back to me, but that isn't what they did. I don't appreciate being lied to. If you're sending me a different ECU, then just tell me a reason why and let me decide if I'm cool with it or not. But an explanation would've been appreciated and I haven't received any of that so far.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You're right and I was on their side in the beginning. Just about every vehicle I own or have owned has aftermarket tuning and/or parts. I know dealers are quick to place blame on anything aftermarket. But the dealer troubleshot this thing for a few days. They printed out everything, including all of the other codes on the ECU showing it NOT being the one my RZR came with, including VINs from other units in other countries. The dealer flashed the ECU with the stock file, but the same issue was still there. When they flashed another ECU from a new unit, it worked and the issue was gone. Who touched the ECU? Evo did. Not sure who else would be to blame, but when they are the ones that peeled it open, removed the identifier label, and aren't even calling me about the issue and hiding from it, what would your assumption be?

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten here and my goal isn't to bash anyone or any business unjustifiably, but to share the facts of what has happened. I'm sure there are a lot of happy customers and that's great. They wouldn't be in business if every tune they did was crap or caused issues. But mine did unfortunately and when problems happen, it reveals a company's owner's true colors and what they're made of. The fact that the owner hasn't even called me tells me that he has something to hide, otherwise why wouldn't he call me with some sort of explanation? I'm sharing this so people know the risk of this happening to them. I was told my ECU was being flashed and sent back to me, but that isn't what they did. I don't appreciate being lied to. If you're sending me a different ECU, then just tell me a reason why and let me decide if I'm cool with it or not. But an explanation would've been appreciated and I haven't received any of that so far.
I'm not here to start a war but this thread does indeed seem like you're bashing EVO.

Also, just because EVO was the last to touch the ECM doesn't mean they caused the codes. You're jumping to conclusion with that one. I'm sure plenty of factory "untuned" ECM go bad...

I'm not 100% on this but the codes from different countries, sealant on the ECM, diff vins could be what is required to break the software in the ECM...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm not here to start a war but this thread does indeed seem like you're bashing EVO.

Also, just because EVO was the last to touch the ECM doesn't mean they caused the codes. You're jumping to conclusion with that one. I'm sure plenty of factory "untuned" ECM go bad...

I'm not 100% on this but the codes from different countries, sealant on the ECM, diff vins could be what is required to break the software in the ECM...
You're right, I'm sure some "stock" ECU's do go bad. But that it isn't the ECU mine came with. This one was ripped apart, glued back together, and had the serial sticker removed. I tried calling the owner numerous times, left messages to call me and no call back. If the dealer is telling me they honestly believe it to be the cause, then who am I to argue? They sell all brands of side by sides and I've been dealing with them for nearly 20 years. They didn't even sell me the ECU so I can't say selling me the new ECU was their motive to give me false reasons. Call it what you want, but I'm not here to argue or engage in a debate. I'm not asking anyone to ban them or not buy from them. I've merely stated my experience as to let others know what my experience was in the event they have an issue. I wish it was still working because then I wouldn't have had to rush around and spend over $1000 to get my RZR working again.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I’ve had very good experiences with evo. They have always stood behind their products.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
on a random note my buddy smoked an ECU trying to hook up a 3rd brake light. Lots of things can happen in unexpected ways. But I would continue to try and talk to EVO. Call them back until you get management on the line to discuss. I run a business also & sadly sales guys don't always relay messages in a timely or appropriate manner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it's been over a year, well over a year. I tried getting an explanation, I really did. I called repeatedly and talked to the same guy over the phone and on email. The only response I got was that the owner will tune my new ECU for free. No explanation of why my original ECU wasn't sent back to me and no explanation of why it had all these odd VINs from different countries on it. I asked all of these questions and just wanted to know why and how it could relate to the issue I was having, but I got nothing of the sort. I did my research prior to getting the "flash" on my ECU and went with them because they had great results. I had great results for a while, but then it disabled my car from running. The dealer told me that what was done to the ECU, the ECU that didn't come with my RZR, was the issue. What else am I supposed to believe if the guys from Evo don't tell me otherwise? That's my frustration.

Again, I'm super stoked at the people that have had great luck with their work. I did for quite a while. Honestly, if I had just been given some
legitimate explanation of how the above happened, I would've accepted it and moved on. But that has happened despite my efforts. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to accept a free tune on an ECU when my original questions aren't even answered.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts