Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this RZR forums and I am trying to find some help to solve my issue.

I have a 2015 Highlifter with only 50 miles; I am in the break-in process and have used it without engaging full throttle. After riding in dirt, mud and sand the first 40 miles at low speeds sometimes in L and sometimes in H, the high temperature light is turning on (at 231 degrees). The light goes off after stoping for a while so it cools down or just by going with very little throttle. The fan comes on at 205 degrees.

I have washed it completely, cleaned air filter, checked coolant level, cleaned radiator, even changed the engine oil for the first time and the oil filter because I thought that might be the problem but it was not. I even drove it in the street for 10 miles to see if in normal conditions it would get hot, and it did. The temperature has gone up to 237 degrees and the motor loses power completely. Everything else seems to be normal but I am frustrated that I can not ride for more than 15 minutes when it gets the light again.

Any experiences with this? Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like you may have some air trapped in the coolant system, there is a bleed screw above the oil filter, near the exhaust. On level ground open that screw till only coolant is flowing out of it.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
It wont take long running up to 231 degrees to ruin that motor, so first off stop doing that. You have a flow problem. Could be air as mentioned above, could be thermostat, could be water pump. All are pretty easy to confirm. In a brand new machine you could also have foreign material blocking a passage, not so easy to confrim. But a new machine with warranty needs to back to the dealer to be fixed and documented. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I agree you need to burp the system first. These XP's run right around 180-200 degrees from what I have seen. 230 is HOT and if it is happening that quickly you either have air in system or a thermostat issue

Since we know these cooling systems can be tough to burp I would start there! If it doesnt fix it take to dealer

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just to clarify for my personal records, Isn't the break-in process 50 hours? 50 miles doesn't take long at all. Def bring that sucker back to the dealership and I don't advise telling them anything about you messing with it. Get this problem resolved with them before starting your normal servicing. That be my suggestion with a brand spanking new machine, especially a first year production with Mud models. Nobody knows what they can come up with, best of luck brutha!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just to clarify for my personal records, Isn't the break-in process 50 hours? 50 miles doesn't take long at all. Def bring that sucker back to the dealership and I don't advise telling them anything about you messing with it. Get this problem resolved with them before starting your normal servicing. That be my suggestion with a brand spanking new machine, especially a first year production with Mud models. Nobody knows what they can come up with, best of luck brutha!
Most break in's for atv/sxs is 10hrs on the motor. Belts are 50miles I believe. As for the overheating issue I agree with the consensuss that you most likely need the cooling system bleed. That will cause your symptom so will blocked thermostate or debris as mentioned above. Now should you do it? Its an easy process but your dabbiling in causing future warrinty issues if the dealer notes serviced by customer. Good luck:D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using RZRForums.net mobile app

·
Registered
708 Posts
For what its worth there is a thread "cooking thermostates" said that his failed the thermos every time it passed 230° so might be somthing else to check.:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you open the bleed screw above headers to try and burp air out its an 8mm probably little green screw. Also the radiator cap has to be off and machine should be cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, i bled the coolant by unscrewing the 8mm screw above the headers; It took the air out, put the screw again and filled the front reservoir with more coolant. I tried it out this morning for 10 minutes and temperatures went up to 215. I did not have more time to try it more, but I think I still have the issue. do you guys know what is the normal operating temperature on the high lifter? I bought this vehicle from a dealer in virginia and brought it down to central america, so the official dealer/service is not that reliable. The radiator was washed, and the air filter cleaned as well. I am not getting the check engine light either, so I do not think is an engine problem. Any other suggestions? I also have a 900xp and never had this issue in the past. Thank you, all of your help is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since u are sol on warranty. I would check the thermostat as said above. It may be stuck closed. You can look on YouTube and find videos on how to check a thermostat using a pan and some water on the stove and see if it opens at proper temp.the opening temp should be stated on the thermo it self. Let us know

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Since u are sol on warranty. I would check the thermostat as said above. It may be stuck closed. You can look on YouTube and find videos on how to check a thermostat using a pan and some water on the stove and see if it opens at proper temp.the opening temp should be stated on the thermo it self. Let us know
the thermostat is mechanical so they almost never go bad. I myself have never seen one go bad. There are many other things that can be happening. For example he could have already blown his top or bottom gasket which is causing back pressure. He could have a bad Rad cap causing bad pressure in the cooling system. His pump could have also gone bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the thermostat is mechanical so they almost never go bad. I myself have never seen one go bad. There are many other things that can be happening. For example he could have already blown his top or bottom gasket which is causing back pressure. He could have a bad Rad cap causing bad pressure in the cooling system. His pump could have also gone bad.
Not to get into a pissing contest but yes they go bad they stick open or closed. IMO

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
yes yes, they do go bad. But its very rear that a new machine has a bad one. simple check (new one is like $40), he will let us know. Lucky the thermostat on these are ez to get to. The OP also clearly states we has already had it over heat, it only takes 1 time.

also if its stuck open that that is not an issue bc the problem he would have would the engine running like shit bc it can't get to a good running temp. OR if its stuck closed all of his fluid would get stuck in the over flow and if he takes the cap off and get its to temp it will boil out bc it can't flow (also this can be caused bc of a blown gasket)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all.
I will have the local dealer take a look at the thermostat, maybe I will just buy a new one, replace it and see what happens. Where is the thermostat located? Any one can recommend on what order of things/ order of procedure to sort this problem out? I will keep you post it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thank you all.
I will have the local dealer take a look at the thermostat, maybe I will just buy a new one, replace it and see what happens. Where is the thermostat located? Any one can recommend on what order of things/ order of procedure to sort this problem out? I will keep you post it.
Right under the throttle body on 900 probably the same on 1k. I agree with 410 customs let a dealer check it. Reason is warrinty and your not the only one haveing that issue with the new 1k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts