Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my RZR with a rear spare,14x8 rim and 29x11r14 tire. Fronts are stock 14x6 and 29x9r14. I have been reading and understand that different diameters front to rear can cause damage. Can I get an educated opinion on how much of a difference will cause damage. My current front tires are 25 3/4" tall (new). My rears are 26 3/8"" tall (slightly worn). Is 3/4" difference enough to causes problems. This is brought on by fitting on for size the 14x8 spare rear on the front (in case of a front flat). It fit but at full lock the rim misses the shock mount (one way) and the tie rod (the other way) by less than a quarter inch. That's sitting in my shop. Don't know how it would work on the trail getting me back to the truck/home. Options: 1/4" front spacer so the rear rim fits a little better (don't really want to widen it but that wouldn't be much). Get a spare14x6 rim and 29x9r14 tire. Would that size matched to the lager rear, in case of a rear flat, cause problems? If the current 3/4" tire difference isn't an issue, when these tires wear out would 29x10 tire fit both sizes of my stock rims? Would going up from 29" to a 30" cause clutch issues? Not many 29x10 tires sold. I'm hoping to not buy new rims. I do occasionally drive about 1 mile of pavement from my house to the local trails, but mostly a combination of hardpack roads, sandwashes, tight rocky trails. Any and all info/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks, DougH

·
Super Moderator
7,830 Posts
Going to 30s on all four wheels should not cause any clutch issues. Personally, there are so many XP 1000 take offs available due to people buying a new machine and upgrading the wheels and tires that I would just pick up some take offs. That's what I did for my S 900.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
For an emergency limp back to the trailer, a couple inches difference in tire size is not going to hurt anything. Worst case, the AWD might get confused while you are mismatched, but you can just turn that off unless you need it to get through something. Limping back on different sized tires would be way better than limping back on a flat. You're only going to cause damage by running more than a couple inches different for hundreds of miles, especially on pavement, and that's just going to be premature wear on stuff because not everything is pulling at the same rate.

If your stock tire size on a 2014 XP 1000 is 29", and you go to 30", no clutching changes are needed.

I use a 29" front with a Bighorn on it as my spare. It will fit on any corner without worrying about rubbing or hitting anything. Sometimes you can find someone selling a front by itself but you might need to buy a set and then sell the other three individually.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The problem comes from different sizes in diameter (I.e 30” on rear 29” on front). It messes with the gear ratio and can cause issues. Probably ok for short distance. We used to carry a front take off as a spare and would run it on a rear in a pinch.

I run 32” on stock clutch and it does ok. But a clutch kit is on the short list for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts