Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just crossed into the rzr world a few weeks ago when I switched from 4 wheelers to a 2013 RZR LE. So far I am impressed and don't regret the switch in any way.
I was wondering if anyone has disconnected the anti-sway bars on the 2013. Does it make a big difference when dealing with slow traveled uneven terrain? Does it weaken the overall structural integrity of the machine? I would like for my suspension to be little more "independent" for the riding I do, but I'm afraid I'll mess something up on my new machine.
Thanks for your help and opinions in advance.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm going to try unhooking my front sway bar today , in the sidehill thread in this section there is some good reading about this subject

·
Lake Mead Explorer
343 Posts
Unhook the front bar, tie it up with several heavy duty zip ties and never look back!

As $$$ permits, get yourself a nice set of progressive springs then remove the rear sway bar.

It makes a noticeable and positive improvement.

Note, my riding conditions are rocks/ mountainous terrain...

·
Lake Mead Explorer
343 Posts
Absolutely! Then unhook both of them.

The best thing is, it's only about 15 minutes each if for some reason you decide you don't like them off to reinstall them!

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Take it easy on the corners untill you get use to it. I have an '08 with Both off and LOVE it.

Keep in mind the support brace in the back holding the swaybar on NEEDS to go back on. Its crutial for frame rigidity. As mentioned before, the front one can be Zip tied after removing the end links. Remove both end links from the rear A-arms. Keep the longer bolts in the bottom of the shock up front and put washers on to take up the length that way you can go back if you wish.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Remember it you are going to only try it you only need to disconnect one side. I've had mine off for years now,
John

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'll get to it Tommorow hopefully , I don't want to lose all handling capabilities , and that's what I am lead to believe by removing both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I broke the front-left sway bar on my second trip. Removed the right side and never noticed any big change in handling. Articulation seemed to improve slightly. Then again I don't have a lot of rides with it still on.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just installed a set of King shocks, unhooked front sway bar, and took out the rear one. Have one ride on it - couple of miles on blacktop to get to river bed. Did not think I was going to like them both unhooked, but after about 5 miles - found out this is the real deal! 100% comfortable this is how I am going to leave it, was a high speed run and handled great, huge improvement. It did end badly though with a drive belt up in smoke! My new 2012 has gone thru 2 belts, the factory belt blew in 70 miles, now my "severe duty" belt smoked in 160 miles. First belt was broke in correctly, second belt was not. I am getting pretty quick on changing out belts now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What's your all's opinion on if anyone has done it or ride these conditions, I ride all types of trails and even some road riding, my question is this, how does unhooking the sway bars affect on hillsides at low or high speeds? I like meticulous riding like on rocks or ditches.. btw I have a 2010 4.. thnx for any heads up or advice..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Derek, If you think about what the Anti-sway bars do and that is impede the independent action of each side of the suspension this will help you see that they are hindering you ride in the conditions you state. IMHO the sway bars are only a way the Polaris can use to promote a safe condition with high speed rollovers.
There are plus & minuses both ways. If you are running stock springs and shocks @ speed I might have them connected, other than that I've had them off for years,
John

·
Registered
244 Posts
What's your all's opinion on if anyone has done it or ride these conditions, I ride all types of trails and even some road riding, my question is this, how does unhooking the sway bars affect on hillsides at low or high speeds? I like meticulous riding like on rocks or ditches.. btw I have a 2010 4.. thnx for any heads up or advice..

I'm curious as well. I'm hoping that removing it keeps the wheels in contact longer on rocky/rutted terrain. Even though it's "normal", I don't like the two-wheel teetering untill it flops over and gets the front back on the ground in the rough stuff.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Derek, If you think about what the Anti-sway bars do and that is impede the independent action of each side of the suspension this will help you see that they are hindering you ride in the conditions you state. IMHO the sway bars are only a way the Polaris can use to promote a safe condition with high speed rollovers.
There are plus & minuses both ways. If you are running stock springs and shocks @ speed I might have them connected, other than that I've had them off for years,
John
Thanks John.. I may jus do rears or vise versa and c wut I think.. usually its jus me n her but when we have passengers it may b best to hook them back up.. I'm gonna check on prices on the grab handed "pin" and use that to hang them up with till we have 2 other passengers so that way if we're somewhere I can use it as a quick connect or disconnect

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
NO you wont. it will just be slightly "tippier" than with them on. Get use to them off, you'll Never put them back on.
Look, I carry about 250 pounds in a box in the back, with a passanger and I ride Huge rocks, Fast flat roads, Fast not so flat roads, 12500+foot mountains and have had the swaybars off for 2 years. First with Stock springs and shocks. Then with a 2" lift added, and finally with aftermarket springs with the factory shocks. I will NEVER put those bars back on. The ride is smoother and I have better traction, The side hills I ride have 800foot dropoffs sometimes. Its like anything else. Take it slow at first to see where the limits are which is not that far off from stock. And I have a 56" wide unit with Pitbull tires. what you hear of "it will make you unsafe" is a load of bull. There on there from the factory for Liability reasons.
This is just my humble opinion, but I can say for sure, Im not dead and I havent rolled it yet. Can I? Yes. Will I? Probably, but thats part of the deal. It happens sometimes. Hope it helps.
I'll get to it Tommorow hopefully , I don't want to lose all handling capabilities , and that's what I am lead to believe by removing both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upon further inspection it appears that I will have to buy two bolts that hold the shock to the a arm before I can remove my sway bars, as they are attached to the same bolt that holds the shock in place. I'll report back once I track down a fastensall in the area.
Back ones were simple. Took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Upon further inspection it appears that I will have to buy two bolts that hold the shock to the a arm before I can remove my sway bars, as they are attached to the same bolt that holds the shock in place. I'll report back once I track down a fastensall in the area.
Back ones were simple. Took about 10 minutes.

What you need is the bolt for front shocks on the S, it comes without front sway bars.

I suggest trying fronts off first, rears next. I only did the fronts after upgrading springs, am waiting on some severely upgraded shocks right now, when those go on, off comes the rear sways.

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
NO you wont. it will just be slightly "tippier" than with them on. Get use to them off, you'll Never put them back on.
Look, I carry about 250 pounds in a box in the back, with a passanger and I ride Huge rocks, Fast flat roads, Fast not so flat roads, 12500+foot mountains and have had the swaybars off for 2 years. First with Stock springs and shocks. Then with a 2" lift added, and finally with aftermarket springs with the factory shocks. I will NEVER put those bars back on. The ride is smoother and I have better traction, The side hills I ride have 800foot dropoffs sometimes. Its like anything else. Take it slow at first to see where the limits are which is not that far off from stock. And I have a 56" wide unit with Pitbull tires. what you hear of "it will make you unsafe" is a load of bull. There on there from the factory for Liability reasons.
This is just my humble opinion, but I can say for sure, Im not dead and I havent rolled it yet. Can I? Yes. Will I? Probably, but thats part of the deal. It happens sometimes. Hope it helps.
DesertVet, my 2011 S has no front sway, but a rear sway. I too have a 2" lift with large wheels on all 4 corners along with aftermarket springs. If I remove the rear say, what's the best improvement I'll see, IYO?

DevilDoc
Junior

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Ride Quality and Articulation.

DesertVet, my 2011 S has no front sway, but a rear sway. I too have a 2" lift with large wheels on all 4 corners along with aftermarket springs. If I remove the rear say, what's the best improvement I'll see, IYO?

DevilDoc
Junior

1 - 20 of 34 Posts