Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
So take one more step and check the voltage when you turn the key on and when you turn it to start.

I've had one that read good voltage, until you turn to start...then a whopping 4V...

Also, have you tried using a vehicle and jumper cables to see what happens?

Ground may be tight, but is it clean and tight?

Are the positive cables on the solenoid and battery clean and tight?

Just thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey JfromOK and Pirate... I'm also having the EXACT same symptoms on my 2012 RZR 800 S (not my primary ride, lol). Has anyone been able to identify which wire (ground?) coming from the ECU to the fuse box needs replacement? I've removed the center console and floor pan, replaced the ground connectors to the frame below the driver's seat, and am now hoping I can minimize the diagnostic time the local Polaris dealer can charge me to fix the problem. I love trail riding and have gotten stuck in a mud hole, so I strongly believe my solution should be the same as the OP's.

I sent a PM to scrzrfun a week ago asking if he could identify the wire, or possibly provide me with his dealer's info for details, but unfortunately I haven't yet received a reply. I see SCrzrFun hasn't been on the forum for over a year, so he may not have even received the message...

FYI, I've already confirmed my (~ 1 yr old) Odyssey PC925 battery is good, replaced the starter solenoid, replaced the ignition switch, and had all fuses / relays confirmed as good. I bridged the (original and the new one) solenoid and it cranks, so I'm confident the starter is good. I can also hear the fuel pump pressurize, but only when the key is held in Start position... WITHOUT the brake being applied as well.

Can anyone help? Any veteran members I should consider reaching out to?? I've got the 2011 800 service manual, thx to searching RZRforums.net! Scheduled drop off at the Polaris dealer for Saturday, March 5th so they can diagnose on Tuesday, March 8th. Praying I have this issue resolved in order to take more people to BMR @ Disney OK March 18-20th...

PS. I LOVED the forum ride @ Taylor Park last year! HIGHLY recommend attending if you have an opportunity to go! Thx in advance forum members

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey JfromOK and Pirate... I'm also having the EXACT same symptoms on my 2012 RZR 800 S (not my primary ride, lol). Has anyone been able to identify which wire (ground?) coming from the ECU to the fuse box needs replacement? I've removed the center console and floor pan, replaced the ground connectors to the frame below the driver's seat, and am now hoping I can minimize the diagnostic time the local Polaris dealer can charge me to fix the problem. I love trail riding and have gotten stuck in a mud hole, so I strongly believe my solution should be the same as the OP's.

I sent a PM to scrzrfun a week ago asking if he could identify the wire, or possibly provide me with his dealer's info for details, but unfortunately I haven't yet received a reply. I see SCrzrFun hasn't been on the forum for over a year, so he may not have even received the message...

FYI, I've already confirmed my (~ 1 yr old) Odyssey PC925 battery is good, replaced the starter solenoid, replaced the ignition switch, and had all fuses / relays confirmed as good. I bridged the (original and the new one) solenoid and it cranks, so I'm confident the starter is good. I can also hear the fuel pump pressurize, but only when the key is held in Start position... WITHOUT the brake being applied as well.

Can anyone help? Any veteran members I should consider reaching out to?? I've got the 2011 800 service manual, thx to searching RZRforums.net! Scheduled drop off at the Polaris dealer for Saturday, March 5th so they can diagnose on Tuesday, March 8th. Praying I have this issue resolved in order to take more people to BMR @ Disney OK March 18-20th...

PS. I LOVED the forum ride @ Taylor Park last year! HIGHLY recommend attending if you have an opportunity to go! Thx in advance forum members
pirate is good at this stuff

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can start my 2012 razor starts easy, but when it warms up it does not like to start, is this the fuel pump ? And how much are they if need replacing ?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi Smacdown, I have exactly the same problem with my 2011 RZR 800. Did you found the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Per post #16:
Dealer replaced "ground wire from the ecu to one of the relays in the fuse box"

The OP never said which one.

EDIT:

Per schematic these 3 wires are grounds from ECU to relay coil ground:
E219 DG/YE Fuel relay
E204 OG/WH Fan relay
E202 DG/YE EFI relay
2020-03-19_144701.jpg

The other 2 relays (Chassis & EPS) are grounded thru a splice in harness.

2020-03-19_145610.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Per post #16:
Dealer replaced "ground wire from the ecu to one of the relays in the fuse box"

The OP never said which one.

EDIT:

Per schematic these 3 wires are grounds from ECU to relay coil ground:
E219 DG/YE Fuel relay
E204 OG/WH Fan relay
E202 DG/YE EFI relay
View attachment 647056

The other 2 relays (Chassis & EPS) are grounded thru a splice in harness.

View attachment 647058
OK Thanks, after many hours trying to solve my problem, I finaly locate the problem: I have no current on the Red/Dark Blue at the key switch harness. When switch is on Run position, no current is transfering at the GR/WH wire, then no current at the solenoid harness. Where come from the current of the RD/DB? My brake switch is OK.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
If you have power to RD/WH wire at key switch then the EFI fuse is good, and I would suspect the EFI relay.

Try swapping relays.

2020-03-26_123240.jpg

2020-03-26_122810.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts

1. If you have power to RD/WH wire at key switch then the EFI fuse is good, and I would suspect the EFI relay.

Try swapping relay
If you have power to RD/WH wire at key switch then the EFI fuse is good, and I would suspect the EFI relay.

Try swapping relays.

View attachment 647409

View attachment 647408
EFI relay and EFI fuse work well. But something is strange at the rear light. At usual, the rear lights share the same current wire (RD/YE) than the breaking light, and the OR wire give the ground by the brake switch as result that the breaking light turn on. When I’m testing the current of the OR wire when the key switch is ‘’ON’’, I test 12Vdc, and 12Vdc on the RD/YE wire, and 0Vdc on the BR wire. Then, when I press the brake, I have 0vdc on the OR, 12Vdc on RD/YE and 0Vdc on the BR wire. Why it have current on OR wire, it’s not supposed to be only a ground?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
When you turn key on, 12v+ is supplied to tail harness via RD/YE wire.
RD/YE wire reads 12v.
OR wire will read 12v, because the meter sees the current thru the filament in the brake lamp. The voltage going thru tail lamp does not have a path to ground, so it does not illuminate.
BR wire reads 0v.

When brake switch is activated, 12v from OR wire is shunted to ground thru BR wire, and filament will illuminate.
Current takes path of least resistance to ground (thru brake switch) and meter will read 0v on both OR & BR wires.

rear harness.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Back to original issue. . .

When you turn key to ON, do you hear the fuel pump cycle?
What is the voltage reading of the RD wire at the coil?

coil.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank for explication of the light. When the key is on, I don't hear the fuel pump, and I don't see any gear position (P-R-N-L-H) on the cluster. I hear the pump and see the gear only at 'run' position of the key switch. I change the key switch, not the problem. I tried to jump the solenoid at both position of the key, the starter work, but the RZR don't start. I'll test the coil tomorrow morning.
Thank for your precious help!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Quick question, though I don't think it makes a difference.
Do you have stock incandescent tail lamps, or aftermarket LED lamps?

Edit, 2nd question, Do the headlights work?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Do headlights work?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
My guess . . . . EFI relay is not working,
You have 12v on RD/WH wire, but 0v on RD/DB wire when key is in ON position.
Could be burnt contacts in relay (connects RD/WH to RD/DB), or coil not working.

2020-03-27_210114.jpg

I would swap EFI relay with FAN relay and see what happens.
If still not working it may be EFI coil is not getting ground signal from the ECM via the DG/YE wire.
Unplug ECM, check contacts and plug for water, dirt, corrosion and reconnect (add some dielectric grease to plug).

2020-03-27_210949.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally, I solve my problem: the DG/YE between the EFI relay and the ECU 202 was ''hard-to-see'' broken (fold) in the wire loom, under the seat. I fixed hit, and now my RZR start like a new. Time now to put the puzzle together. Thanks a lot guys, you help me a lot. You are amazingly competent!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts