Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rzr ran great no issuse, brought it home after a good ride, cleaned it up and put it in the garage. ran fine after cleaning, drove it in there. A couple of weeks later went to start it and would not crank.
Symptom other then it wont crank. I get -- where you would normally see what gear your in. when you turn the key to start while foot is on the brake nothing happens, no fuel pump no click of the relays, nothing. however if you where not to touch the brake and turn the key to start you'll hear a hum thinking this is the fuel pump and the gear indicator will then show up in what gear it's in, but the gear indicator will go back to -- with in 10 seconds, if you go thru the steps to get the gear indicator light up and change gear it doesn't change on the display unless I go thru and turn the key to start it then it will then light up the new position. with it changing gears I wouldn't think it's the gear selector switch.
here is another symptom - if you turn the key to start it and hear the hum and while it's in the "start" position if you were to press the break, the hum goes away and you hear the fuel pump relay click, let go of the break and you'll hear a click and the fuel pump starts running again.

what I have checked.
all fuses under the dash and the two behind the driver seat, ingnition switch connections, relays, pressure switch for the brakes, brake light comes on, however since the fuel pump goes off I did a resistance check on the presure switch and both wires are around 1 ohm basically a short... but what's odd is the break lights come on... not sure how to take that, thinking it's just completing the crkt.

I didn't wash it any more or less then I normally do and don't think it has anything to do with the problem but I've check all the wiring that I can see and nothing seems loose or disconnected.
I did remove the skid plate to clean it this time and did not put it back on yet, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it.

any help would be great. thank you

·
Registered
759 Posts
Check battery and make sure you have full charge and everything is snug. My brothers acted weird when his battery took a shit for no real reason new battery and all is good. Seems simple and I hope it is. His indicator lights would light up and blink and then no crank but it appeared that it was fine until we checked charge on battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to add that I also put a batt charger on it for about and hour and got the same results, but I can still check the battery just to make sure it's good. the lights light up nice and bright, low and high beam and when the lights are on and you hit the starter they don't dim or nothing, stay on nice a bright. :(
thank you for your thoughts, I too hope it's something simple. it's still under warranty and do plan on taking it in, just wont have time until the weekend and probably wont hear anything till end of next week.
thanks again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good luck! if you have warranty, let them figure it out... I'm sure your like me easier said than done. Probably something simple

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If truly the lights don't dim when you turn the key to start with the brake peddle pushed you have the problem isolated somewhat.

It appears to me to be a problem with your solenoid or the wiring to the starter. You should have heard a clicking when turned the ignition to start, you said nothing happened and the fact that the headlights didn't dim means your not putting any new load on the battery. Check the solenoid and the circuitry to the starter. I think you will find your problem in that area. The problem could also be with the ignition switch, but you said you already checked that, but make sure that voltage is getting to your selenoid with the ignition switch at start.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you Mike and John, I will check out the ground and solenoid tonight.

what about the gear indicator not showing up on the display? it's odd when I turn the key to start it without the brake pressed that it shows up but only for 10 seconds and doesnt change when I change the gear. That's the part that throws me off.

thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update; check the battery and it's good, checked all grounds and they are good. take a look at the two pictures.
what is the square item that my finger is on? there are 2 wires going to the solenoid, it has a rod that looks pretty rough, only thing I can read it 20A on it, is this a fuse? or relay?
also, checked voltage on the two wires in the other picture, when switch is on have 12.35vdc on yellow wire, nothing on blue, soon as I touch the brake no voltage... I'm starting to think I have a short somewhere, broken wire.

if you can let me know what the readings are suppose to be on the blue/yellow wires that would be great.
I'm going to take it in the shop saturday so I'll post what they find out.
this problem has me stumpped...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that the square item that comes out of the wiring harness is a BREAKER-CIRCUIT,20 AMP,SEALED part#2410881 any one had this go bad? how do you test it?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The battery at full charge should be 12.8 volts or very close. Your problem sure sounds like a shorted battery. When you try to start like you would normally would, do you get just one click and then everyting does dead, if that is the case it would indicate bad battery connection or bad ground connection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked the square item it is a ckt breaker, and it tested good.

Scuba, when I go to start it normally, in park foot on the break, nothing happens, no click, nothing. If I do not put my foot on the brake I'll hear the fuel pump relay click and the pump turns on if I put my foot on the break you hear the click again and the fuel pump turns off. the two wires that go to the solenoid (blue & yellow) the yellow has 12vdc to it when the key is on or when you turn to the key to start, but if I put my foot on the brake it goes to 0vdc
all power is good, meaning lights and all indicators on the gauge accept the gear indicator work. I agree with you it sounds like a short somewhere.
I have to say the short maybe coming from the gear selector switch... maybe, your thoughts?

thank you for helping and your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Zero volts still makes me think there is a bad connection to the battery or one of the big cables from the battery to the solenoid so check those connections first by taking them loose, wire brush them and reassemble. Try leaving your foot on the brake when it goes to zero volts and wait to see if power doesn't come back by its self which would indicate a bad connection. Batteries should read 12.8 volts at full charge, even a drop to 12.6 indicates about a 90% charge and 12.3 indicates a 60% charge and I think you stated you had 12.3v in an earlier post so if it won't charge to at least 12.6 to 12.7 I would still be looking at possibly a bad battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try old school screwdriver accross the 2 large posts on the solenoid, if the starter turns over then the battery could be good. I would then look for the start diode being a possible cause. If you can download a shop manual for a RZR. I did and section 10 cover all kinds of elictrical test to find the cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to teamhog I was able to download the service manual and look at the wire diagram in it... wish it was more specific but it gave me enough info to determine there is something odd about this problem.

More info on troubleshooting this problem...

the two small wires that go to solenoid only have batt power when switch is turned on, not on "start" when you go to start the voltage drops to 0, like a short or open. Also, I check to see if I keep my foot on the brake and in the start position for a min and no luck on getting any juice. It's odd that there are batt volts there when the key is just in the "on" position. I understood that only when in the start position, so what's stop the solenoid turning over when in the on? weird or I just don't know what I'm doing. haha
charged the battery and is holding 12.8 (that would be awesome if it’s just a battery)
double/triple checked all grounds/wires didn't find anything wrong...

by the electrical drawing this shouldn't matter but when I unplug the brake light harness (3 wires, running lights, brake lights and ground, this is the connection below the trunk) I lose some power, the fuel pump no longer will come on and the gear indicator will not light up when in the start position...

it's in the shop now so I'll post what they find, I just hope that it's something stupid that I missed and not what I think it is and that's a broke/grounded wire in the harness, which means replacing the wire harness and that looks like no easy task and a bitch to prove... hope Polaris is good about the warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
final note on this problem. It was indeed a wireing problem. after a week in the shop they replaced the ground wire from the ecu to one of the relays in the fuse box, said the wire burned up from getting wet. Caution for all those who are anal about cleaning... I only use a watering hose, no pressure washer, nothing but straight out of the garden hose... I no longer even come close to the ecu or the fuse box...
Polaris told the dealer this is a known problem and running a seperate wire should fix the issue to where it doesn't happen again.

if you have the same indications look for this problem.
thanks to all those who helped out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I jumpers the solenoid for the starter and it ran to problem started after like it did befor see how it works today though

·
Registered
18 Posts
I realize this thread is super old but I'm having the same issue and at a loss. I'm fairly certain this is my issue as well. Did you ever check which ground wire they had to re-run? That is, if you can remember that far back lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts