Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I have a 2012 800s and had the dreaded pinion nut fail. So I decided to buy a whole new diff. My question is did they fix the problem with the nut backing out with new units? Or do I need to replace the nut and locktite? I did buy the solid nut and new seal but was not sure if I had too. Also I have looked but has anyone ever just tacked the nut in place? Use a fire blanket to keep slag out of the bearing or maybe double nut? I will have to make a tool to get the nut out but only way to hold it is with the axle. Any thoughts?

thanks all
Jeremy

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
hello all, I have a 2012 800s and had the dreaded pinion nut fail. So I decided to buy a whole new diff. My question is did they fix the problem with the nut backing out with new units? Or do I need to replace the nut and locktite? I did buy the solid nut and new seal but was not sure if I had too. Also I have looked but has anyone ever just tacked the nut in place? Use a fire blanket to keep slag out of the bearing or maybe double nut? I will have to make a tool to get the nut out but only way to hold it is with the axle. Any thoughts?

thanks all
Jeremy
Yes you need to change the nut. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update:
thanks for the help guys. After ordering a coupler from ebay fairly cheap, a freebie help from a friend that let me destroy a 1 3/4 socket and alittle bit of metal and the tools are made. I received a new diff from rocky mountain and disassembled it. I reassembled the pinion with a thin layer of Polaris ADF then steel pinion nut with red locktite and tools worked as it should. I rotated the pinion every 50lbs up to my last bit. I made it to 280lbs before my socket tool started to fail. It started to bent and tear in the middle of the socket tool. so i made it to atleast 280lbs. Now should there be some drag on the pinion when turning free hand? I always thought there had to be some free play? im still considering tacking the nut to the pinion...what do u all think

thanks again

·
Vendor
4,174 Posts
The diffs come from Polaris set up way too tight sometimes. That is why we take them apart and set up the clearances again before we lock down the nut and ship em out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diffs come from Polaris set up way too tight sometimes. That is why we take them apart and set up the clearances again before we lock down the nut and ship em out.
Wish I would have done more research on here. You live and learn.
Only problem is as I put the last diff mount bolt in I found a .010 shim under my lift! Only reason I didn't yank it out yet is b.c it was really tight when I first got it. Couldn't turn it by hand and the shim came off the opposite ring gear side. So now im conflicted on saying send it or pull it and redo.

what u guys think
Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Jeremy:
The shim you are talking about, is it about the size of a 3/8 flat washer, stainless? If it is it came out off of the bolt that is next to the crank position sensor, between the trans/diff bracket and the adapter tube housing.
The Loctite 272 or Permatex 27200 should be used, it tolerates oil, 271 or 277 do not like oil. The new nut can be staked with a center punch at the top after if is torqued. The pinion shaft threads and nut should be oil free for the threadlok to work properly.

Les

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish I would have done more research on here. You live and learn.
Only problem is as I put the last diff mount bolt in I found a .010 shim under my lift! Only reason I didn't yank it out yet is b.c it was really tight when I first got it. Couldn't turn it by hand and the shim came off the opposite ring gear side. So now im conflicted on saying send it or pull it and redo.

what u guys think
Thanks
Jeremy

Awsome...i used 271...i cleaned with brake clean several times and used a scotch brite pad on the nut and thread and let dry for 2 day. When i looked up the red 271at first it didnt say much about the application then after reading this post i found more data..has anyone ever used 271 with success?

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Vendor
4,174 Posts
We have had 3 customers use red loctite 272 and didn't hold in time. Had to do it again. I know lots have used it, but it has failed too.

·
Vendor
4,174 Posts
We have done over 300 of these since 2008 and no issues. This is a service we do in our shop and I don't want to give out our secrets. Sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts