Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here saying hi. I have been lurking for a few weeks, reading up on posts, learning, etc. Talk about information overload! I am amazed by all the info here and how friendly the memebers on this forum are.

I am in the process of buying a 2011 RZR S. Trying to decide between a red non LE and a Blk CF LE. I am fully aware of the differences between the two. I could care less about the paint and graphics....for me it boils down to tires and suspension.

Are the Fox Shocks and Big Horns are really going to make it perform that much better or am I should I save some $$ up front and go aftermarket?

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
One word, yes. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well, depends on what type riding you do. if you dont ride sand and dont jump then the standard s shocks will do about as good. tires, the itp are not as good as the bighorns IMO. If you bought the standard and decided you wanted the fox shocks and bighorns, those 2 items alone retail for about 2100.00. I doubt you will see the 1500.00 less price on a standard as it reflects in the msrp pices, i bought my 11 S Le for 13k, i dont see a dealer selling the standard for 11,500. So i would see what the best deal on both i could get and then decide if the difference is worth what im giving up buying a standard model.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Are the Fox Shocks and Big Horns are really going to make it perform that much better or am I should I save some $$ up front and go aftermarket?
Hi. Not having compared the Sachs with the Fox shocks, can't really say the true difference in ride quality....However, why risk it for a few hundred bucks. The Fox Podiums are a know entity. I believe those Sachs are now made in China, or maybe Mexico (not Germany). The Bighorns are awesome and might be worth it alone if you can get an LE S for around 13K. I paid $13,200 about four weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I have shopped a few dealers near me and luckily the closest one has given me the best feel and price. Been quoted $11,499 on the red S and 13,299 on the LE. My cousin has a dealer in WI that said 13,000 on an LE, so I'm sure I could negotiate that or something close from my dealer.

I've read a few threads lately that indicate the valving and spring rates have changed on the 2011's and its too soft. I will probably never make it to the dunes and sick air isnt really my style. Most of my riding will be your basic trails with a good mix of woods, mud, technical, fireroads, etc.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
For 1800 bucks difference, I'm not sure.. You can buy some really good shocks and springs that kind of money.. The Fox shocks that come on the S aren't bad, Worth about half that.. Bighorns cost 350..

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Yeah, good luck getting some quality shocks, bighorns and wheels for $1800.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I said he could get some killer shocks for 1800 not shocks and tires.. I just mentioned what a set of bighorns run.. Tons of people on here get their S shocks Revalved and buy progressive springs.. Thats 600 right there..

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had lots of ITP tires on various 4-wheelers over the years and would rank them among the best. My guess is the XCT 900's will be more than up to the task. A quick ebay search revealed lots of affordable shock options.

Me thinks I am going to pull the trigger on the red S, get a feel for how I want it to handle and go custom on the boingers. I'm also thinking about having a wrap done up for custom look. I guess making one these things "your own" is half the fun, right?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I've had lots of ITP tires on various 4-wheelers over the years and would rank them among the best. My guess is the XCT 900's will be more than up to the task. A quick ebay search revealed lots of affordable shock options.

Me thinks I am going to pull the trigger on the red S, get a feel for how I want it to handle and go custom on the boingers. I'm also thinking about having a wrap done up for custom look. I guess making one these things "your own" is half the fun, right?
I think you will be better off. Down the road look at some aftermarket shocks like some AFCOs Mt3 With some progressive springs. Chances are if you went with the LE you would have atleast spent another 400 later on springs. Then you would have been stuck with the small body OEM shocks. If you end up with aftermarket shocks you can Easily sell your stock S shocks.. Plenty of people on here with +5s just looking for a Decent set of S length shocks to get them going...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently purchased a 2011 LE and ran a 80 mile deep woded trail system in Ohio. My friends were on ATV's and they had to slow down to my speed because we wanted to stick together. The RZR LE max speed in the woods was about 15-20mph, and at this speed with the factory shocks, that's all I can do without losing traction/handling. The ATV's would do another 1- to 15 mph faster than me but that's all my factory shocks would handle.

The next week I purchased a set of Stage 4 Elka Dual Compression Shocks and then rode with the same group again.

Surprise Surprise, the handling improved 100% and the ride improved at least 50%. I kept up with the ATV's w/o a problem and they were flying.

My recommndation is to buy after market suspension not so much for the ride, but definately for the added handling and safety that comes along with them.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I recently purchased a 2011 LE and ran a 80 mile deep woded trail system in Ohio. My friends were on ATV's and they had to slow down to my speed because we wanted to stick together. The RZR LE max speed in the woods was about 15-20mph, and at this speed with the factory shocks, that's all I can do without losing traction/handling. The ATV's would do another 1- to 15 mph faster than me but that's all my factory shocks would handle.

The next week I purchased a set of Stage 4 Elka Dual Compression Shocks and then rode with the same group again.

Surprise Surprise, the handling improved 100% and the ride improved at least 50%. I kept up with the ATV's w/o a problem and they were flying.

My recommndation is to buy after market suspension not so much for the ride, but definately for the added handling and safety that comes along with them.
Is your machine a 50" LE or the RZR S LE?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
definately buy the le, much more bang for the buck! call a shock guy on the fox's, everyone i talked to said the podiums rock! they might be undersprung, but a very good shock otherwise. the seats are nicer, the paint is killer (even if you don't care others might) wheels and tires are an upgrade too!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Is your machine a 50" LE or the RZR S LE?
Top, Must be the 50" LE he's talking about. I've run fast with ATVs and keep right with them on wooded, rocky trails. Also depends what kind of ATVs and who was riding them. We run way faster than 15-20mph. I can ride right up on the back tires of an ATV on trails with my S. It's safer for me too....The ATV are bouncing around off rocks and tipping in off-camber turns. I blow right over it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got the LE model and have given it hell since I got it. It hasnt let me down yet. I say got for the LE.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts