Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 rzr s with 165 miles. After riding yesterday I pulled the bike off the trailer this morning and it started puking oil out of the filter. Wix pn 51356, I put another wix filter on it and the o ring blew again. It's blowing the o ring out and puking oil. I don't know what else to do, I am going to check oil pressure and see if it is high for some reason. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Are you sure your getting the filter tight enough ?? I ask since the origanal PoPo filter showed no signs of leaking until you changed. Even if oil pressure regulator went bad there will not be enough psi to blow out gasket. Burst pressure is rated @ 363psi, so obviously gasket\o-ring is good for at least that. Wix 51356 & Mobil M1-110 is what I use & about the best filter's you can buy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hand tightening the filter and i feel that it is tight enough. I might try to get it a little tighter. Its blowing the o ring out within 10 seconds of running.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Are you putting a thin film of oil on the gasket before tightening? If not then the friction of the "dry" rubber will give you a good torque "feel" but not provide enough axial pressure to seal the gasket. Of course you should not tighten with a wrench...just hand pressure. Make sure the filter is cleaned of oil residue (I use brake cleaner) to get a good grip when tightening.

(I know this may seem elementary but some owners may have never done a filter change on engines before.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i am lubing the o ring with used oil.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like this didn't occur just after an oil change but check to ensure there aren't two o-ring gaskets on there. If not the engine is building pressure due to a vent hose being closed off somewhere. I don't know my way around the 800 engine much yet, but if a crankcase vent hose is plugged it will make oil blow out somewhere.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine did this one morning before a trail ride. I tighten the filter back up and went riding. Later I smoked the motor. It was my Oil PRV that later caused me to loose oil pressure. Not sure how the two events tied together.

Remove your PRV dowel and clean it up. Fixed my oil pressure, but the knock was still there. I will be getting a rebuilt motor when I get back from overseas.

Even if I am wrong, it is a simple task. You will need a really strong 1/4 magnet. I got mine from Napa. I had to use a small punch to get the PRV moving down, finally it came out. It was jammed in the "up" position.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would cause a dowel to get worn or dirt on a motor with not even 200 miles on it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dowel is stuck and I cannot get it out. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Try tapping it with a small punch or long nail. I fought mine for 3 days before I just soaked it overnight with PB blaster, then tapped it down. One I tapped it down, it started to move, still took awhile before it actually came out though. Just had to keep moving it up and down till it came out in my hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try tapping it with a small punch or long nail. I fought mine for 3 days before I just soaked it overnight with PB blaster, then tapped it down. One I tapped it down, it started to move, still took awhile before it actually came out though. Just had to keep moving it up and down till it came out in my hand.

I will try that tonight. I started soaking it last night, It is very hard to see down the hole to work on it. I am going to try to get a better magnet also that will fit down there. What causes this to happen?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not completely sure. For some reason, these motors spike incredibly high oil pressure on start up. The dowel seemed to have stuck in the complete bypass position or up in the hole. Once the oil thinned out it lost oil pressure. My assumption is that the volume in the motor dropped to nothing as the oil thinned and the PRV was dumping it straight back to the pan.

Mine had a fresh ($1100) top end on it and only about 800 miles on the motor. I messed up by just putting the filter back on and riding it. It will be around a $2500 mistake not counting the fresh top.

I may start pulling mine every time I ride to make sure it moves free. It would only take 2 mins once you have it out the first time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts