Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first thread but I'm hoping someone can give me some solid advice. I have a new 800 S LE and I'm considering which Skid Plate and A-Arm Guards to put on it. I know the UHMW A-Arm Guards from Factory UTV seem like a good option, but I'm not sure what to expect from them being one solid piece of plastic. It seems like mud and gunk could get stuck up against my A Arm Guards and cause them to rust if I'm not careful. Has anyone had that problem? I'm thinking the EMP steel ones might be better because they are grated and will let sand and mud fall through them easier?

As far as the skid plate goes I'm thinking 1/2 inch Factory UTV but I'm thinking the Trail Armor skid plate might be a better option. I wonder if the holes on the Trail Armor skid plate might catch on things I'm sliding over so I don't know which is best. I already have factory rock sliders and I'm not sure if the full Trail armor skid plate will fit with the factor ones on. I'm going to have to write Trail Armor and ask them.

As far as front and rear bumpers go I went with EMP and got the rear tire mount bumper. I think that should work really great. I also want to get the Rotopax first aid kit, 4 gallon fuel and water tanks, a first aid kit, and a tire repair kit.

After that, I should be good to go!

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. It would help a lot.

Best,

Matt

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
welcome to the forums!

Let the addiction begin! haha.

I have the FUTV 1/2 skid set and they work extremely well. I like the 1/2 inch skid because I also think it helps with ridgidity of the frame and reducing frame flex. I have run this set for over a year now on my S and it has seen quite a bit of use here in the rocks and logs out in Pa. It hasnt given me a bit of trouble and highly reccomend them. The holes dont catch on anything btw.

Assembling a good kit to carry with you is a must in my opinion, here is a good thread to get you thinking about it.

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-specific-discussion/60875-need-put-together-tool-kit.html

VP racing makes a great 5 (maybe 6) gallon fuel can thats plastic that fits nicely between the lock and ride box and the side of the RZR. Well the RZR S 800 rear. That might be an alternative to the rotopax.

Sounds like you are on your way with the machine. As long as you are, get 5 point harnesses. They help you drive better in the rough and are much much better in an accident. Just a suggestion.

Now get out and ride! haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Addiction...yes...I can already see I'm going to have problems.

Do you think the FUTV skid plate causes gunk to build up on top of it? That's my worry with the FUTV UHMW stuff. There are no drain holes in any of it and I think it might hold mud which would rust the metal parts connected to the UHMW, over time anyway. I see another company that makes UMHW skid plates with holes in it so things can be washed out easier. Would you recommend that over FUTV?

Thanks for all of the info in your post. I can't wait to get back from Afghanistan so I can ride that thing. Right now there are boxes of parts at home waiting to be put on my LE. Can't wait...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
There is no doubt it collects mud in the underneath area. Dropping the skid to clean it is a total pain. My solution is a stream crossing that isnt far from my house that is just the right height for washing the mud out from under the skid. Sounds kinda funny but it works. Calling Bob at FUTV and asking him to drill some extra holes would probably work as he is very accomodating. Then again you could try and drill some yourself too. I bet Bob would do it for you though.

That said, I think the only other one I would try is Fiber Skinz. They are a vendor on the forum. They are lighter than UHMW and are made of... you guessed it, carbon fiber. I dont know if there are drainage holes in that though.

Keep your head down and have a ball when you get back! All this modding to a RZR is really fun and this forum has tons of info as I am sure you have seen. BTW thanks for your service over there!

·
Vendor
2,104 Posts
Addiction...yes...I can already see I'm going to have problems.

Do you think the FUTV skid plate causes gunk to build up on top of it? That's my worry with the FUTV UHMW stuff. There are no drain holes in any of it and I think it might hold mud which would rust the metal parts connected to the UHMW, over time anyway. I see another company that makes UMHW skid plates with holes in it so things can be washed out easier. Would you recommend that over FUTV?

Thanks for all of the info in your post. I can't wait to get back from Afghanistan so I can ride that thing. Right now there are boxes of parts at home waiting to be put on my LE. Can't wait...
Actually our skids do come with multiple drain holes, I'll guess 8 or 9 of them, but if you require more give us a call and let us know where you want them. We keep ours pretty clean without removing it after muddy rides just hosing it down real good...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information Bob. I didn't realize FUTV Skid Plates had drain holes. I don't think I've seen any in the pictures? As for the a-arm guards, would it weaken them to put a few holes in the bottom of them so that dirt and rocks don't get caught in there? I've never dealt with this, but I know that stuff can build up and cause rust if you don't keep it pretty clean. That's all I'm worried about.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
The a arm guards are easy to wash out, and yes they collect a lot of stuff. Its easy to get those clean though.

Sorry Bob about not realizing the drainage holes where there. I use my stream cleanout method too much, lol.

·
Vendor
2,104 Posts
Thanks for the information Bob. I didn't realize FUTV Skid Plates had drain holes. I don't think I've seen any in the pictures? As for the a-arm guards, would it weaken them to put a few holes in the bottom of them so that dirt and rocks don't get caught in there? I've never dealt with this, but I know that stuff can build up and cause rust if you don't keep it pretty clean. That's all I'm worried about.
No I don't think holes in the a-arm guards would weaken them significantly at all depending on the size and amount of holes. We prefer no holes because branches etc seem to work their way through the holes and through the CV Boots. Again though we'd be happy to put some drainage holes in for you. We do get out and play in the mud now and then ourselves :ride:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts