Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2011 RZR-4 on Thursday. It now has 60 miles and will not run. Engine light comes on when key is turned on and when codes are checked I am getting an error code "0", suspect parameter "636" and failure mode "2"

The 2011 operators manual tells how to pull up the codes, but does not list what they are/mean.

Can anyone help me out on this. I know I can take it to the dealer on Tuesday when they open, but it's the weekend and time to be riding!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On mine i found the ground was loose on the frame under the left rear passenger seat. There are 10 or so wires that are grounded to the frame with a stud and nut. the nut was loose. I tightened it and have not had a single problem since. Codes were for improper sensor reading, which makes sense if the system had a bad ground.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take your grounds off and clean them. I'm a John Deere mechanic and was chasing codes on one of our big mowers that is controller by an ECU. The grounds were all tight and I was ready to order a new ECU. The little voice in the back of my head said clean the ground wires. Sure enough that was it. Most newer ECUs have some type of fail safe built into them to protect them for being killed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What ended up fixing your problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The starter bendix-to-bellhousing washer came off in assembly at the factory, causing ot to bounce around the flywheel area, landing on the crank sensor. Since it was larger than the sensor hole, everytime a new sensor was installed, it pushed the washer out of the way, and it ran great, until it hit the magnet again. Which was always on the WORST possible trail, far from camp.

The starter nose rests in the bellhousing, and I imagine the assembly line tech installed it, and for some reason, pulled it back off a few inches, then put it back together. Grease held the washer on, so that's the only answer I can come up with, other that complete stupidity on that guy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When it messed up did it just quit or start running bad. Mine doing same thing except it'll start just runs like crap. Same code. 636 with a 2 under it. Called dealer can't look at it for a week

·
Registered
68 Posts
It just quit. The washer sticks to the magnet on the crank sensor. If you have access to one of those "snake cameras", take the crank senson out, and look inside your bellhousing for debris, metal, etc. Have you changed the crank sensor yet? It may just be a bad one if you haven't changed it yet.

I went through THREE c/s's, and it would run great, then just shut off. Really pissed me off!!!

And Polaris was NO HELP. It was my local dealer who finally pulled the engine halfway out to get at the sensor/bellhousing.

Double check the wires too. Polaris just "laid" the harness on the engine. Very poor assembly. It turns out they are assembled in Mexico, which explains alot!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't replaced it yet. I ordered it but I'm not 100% convinced. I did the ohm test and it checked out. Not really looking forward to pulling it apart and finding no problem ya know. I have a good friend that's an electrical genius coming by tomorrow to chase a wire issue. Hopefully new sensor be here first of the week and ill get it put in. I've spoke with dealer and they want 300 labor to install it and of course no warranty because if snorkel kit. Thanks for the reply and I will let you know what I find

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't replaced it yet. I ordered it but I'm not 100% convinced. I did the ohm test and it checked out. Not really looking forward to pulling it apart and finding no problem ya know. I have a good friend that's an electrical genius coming by tomorrow to chase a wire issue. Hopefully new sensor be here first of the week and ill get it put in. I've spoke with dealer and they want 300 labor to install it and of course no warranty because if snorkel kit. Thanks for the reply and I will let you know what I find
What was the outcome of this???

Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2014 800s had code 636-2 come up yesterday found wiring harness rubbed thru on metal end of shift cable at the bracket if this helps anyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Helps me out I hope. I have a 2014 rzr s that starts running weird and dies and throws that 636 2 code every time I hit a deep puddle in the trail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts