Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I’m having a problem with my RZR. I recently replaced my starter solenoid. My sxs won’t start and but if I jumped the solenoid it would fire right up. I replaced it with a new one but still won’t work. If I turn the key to the on position the fuel pump doesn’t even come on and no gear indication on the dash either.
could I have done damage to the ECU ?
or would it be a bad solenoid?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
1) Key ON, no fuel pump:
check fuses,

Up under dash behind steering wheel AND

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

under drivers seat, near battery. Power fuses, access from left rear wheel well.

Rectangle Building Parallel Font Engineering

2) No starter:
Key ON, do brake lights work?
The brake light switch is also the starter safety switch.
If no brake lights, check connector on brake light switch, on frame behind drivers seat, access thru left rear wheel well.
Conector may be loose, or contacts may be dirty.

Motor vehicle Hood Font Bumper Automotive exterior

Reactions: Denver

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Not realy.

When I turn the key, the fuel pump comes on
Did you find a blown fuse?

Unplug connector at starter relay (solenoid).
With ket at START, there should be 12v on DG/WH (dark green / white stripe) wire.

If no 12v on DG/WH, check RD/DB (red / dark blue stripe) wire at key switch. With connector plugged in to switch and key at ON there should be 12v on RD/DB wire.
If no 12v on RD/DB wire, pull EFI relay and check for corrosion, moisture, and dirt on relay plugs and fuse box sockets.​
Note: fuse box relays are all same part number. Swap EFI and FAN relays to verivy relay is good.​
If yes 12v on DG/WH wire at key switch, check continuity of DG/WH wire between key switch plug and starter relay plug.

If continuity on DG/WH wire good, check OR (orange) wire for continuity between starter relay and brake light switch.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Reactions: Flying59

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I turn the key, the fuel pump comes on and I don’t get continuity through the solenoid. Does that mean the solenoid is bad ?
Fuel pump just signals that you have key on power, not necessarily start signal. But since you originally reported that the fuel pump didn't turn on, what fixed it?

Also you reported that the display didn't show what gear it was in, has this changed or is there still no input here? I'm unsure if the machine will only start in P and N, there may be a safety that won't allow the start circuit to work if the machine can't tell if it's not in gear.

If your brake lights work when you press the pedal, then the brake pressure switch works.

But have you verified that turning the key to the start position activates the trigger on the starter solenoid? This is where the circuit diagram comes in handy so you can see what's in the circuit and know what to check. Since you already replaced the solenoid and it didn't fix the issue, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it isn't the likely issue but there is still a chance it is.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Take your OLD relay (solenoid) and apply 12v to DG/WH contact (#1 on plug), and ground the OR contact (#2 on plug). Does the relay click?
Do the same with the NEW relay. Does it click?
If neither click, they are both bad.
If one clicks, install it in RZR and try to start.

ALSO, did you replace a blown fuse to get the fuel pump to work?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm unsure if the machine will only start in P and N, there may be a safety that won't allow the start circuit to work if the machine can't tell if it's not in gear.
CrazyElecE,
The 800 WILL start with the transmission in gear.
The brake light switch is the safety interlock on the 800 RZR.
It provides ground return for starter relay.
This is Polaris' solution to force you to step on brake to start engine, and keep the trial lawyers at bay.

Reactions: Denver

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take your OLD relay (solenoid) and apply 12v to DG/WH contact (#1 on plug), and ground the OR contact (#2 on plug). Does the relay click?
Do the same with the NEW relay. Does it click?
If neither click, they are both bad.
If one clicks, install it in RZR and try to start.

ALSO, did you replace a blown fuse to get the fuel pump to work?
I just installed a 2nd solenoid and still the same problem. The Fuel pump only comes on if I don’t put my foot on the break pedal to try to start it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Is battery fully charged?
Did you bench test the starter relays (solenoid)?

Check the frame grounds.
Follow cable from battery negative post to frame. Remove bolt, wire brush frame and lugs till shiny, verify individual brown wires are connected to their respective lugs, apply dielectric grease and reconnect.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
So my guess is there is a high resitance connection in your 12v wiring.
It will supply 12v to solenoid, till you step on brake pedal.
Brake lights are pulling more amps then can pass thru poor connection point.
When you step on brake pedal, what is voltage at battery, at starter solenoid, at input to power fuses, at fuse block, etc?
Do headlightS work, are they bright, what do they do when you step on brake pedal?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts