Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few posts of guys having the plastic melt where the top right hand motor cover latch area is. I had mine off today and mine had a melted hole 2''x2'' above the latch. Mine only has 50 miles so if you have a 2011 best go check yours! I made a small heat shield out of aluminum and slid it in between the frame and the plastic back plate that the motor cover locks to. I think this will take care of the problem.

·
Weekend Warrior!
94 Posts
pictures please. thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2011 orange madness w/ eps. The bottom of my lock and ride cargo box melted above the engine. The bed seems OK.
I built half inch spacers to raise the box. I'll know after this coming three day trip to West Va., if my solution worked or not.

·
Weekend Warrior!
94 Posts
This must be an S issue because my '11 RZR4 has no melted areas. Could you guys post some pictures so I know exactly where your talking about. Thanks

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
With so many people having this issue on here alone, how could it not of shown up on all the press and demo rides Polaris had?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
With so many people having this issue on here alone, how could it not of shown up on all the press and demo rides Polaris had?

Last minute changes to something as they went into final production? Changes that made the source of the heat hotter than as tested in pre production like air/fuel ratios OR changes in the parts that are melting, located closer to the heat source etc.

I would be calling the 800-765-2747 Polaris number to notify them of the problem before someone starts there RZR on fire:scared2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine is a 2011 orange madness, not an "S".
The bed seems fine, but hot to the touch. I installed a lock and ride box. Thats what melted. Looking at the box, the "HOT SPOT" is on the right about half way from front to back.
I did call Polaris, and also took the box to my dealer. No one seems to be concerned.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yes, please post a pic showing where the issue is. Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I read a few posts of guys having the plastic melt where the top right hand motor cover latch area is. I had mine off today and mine had a melted hole 2''x2'' above the latch. Mine only has 50 miles so if you have a 2011 best go check yours! I made a small heat shield out of aluminum and slid it in between the frame and the plastic back plate that the motor cover locks to. I think this will take care of the problem.
Mine was melted pretty bad too. I put on a ThunderHawk thermal shield today (4m supporter), which is basically just a piece of aluminum with some holes drilled in it. Nothing too fancy, except its cut to the right size. I think it cost about 31 bucks with discount.

I am sure dealers will replace this under warranty, and maybe they would even put on some extra shielding?

H

·
0 Posts
Hmm..maybe that is why Polaris ran the older 800s so rich..lol. J/K kind of.....seriously though that is weird...does the 11 have the aluminum tape in that spot like the earlier models have? I've melted nothing even with the turbo and no heat shields or wrap on the exhaust..just the stock aluminum tape on the motor side of the plastics there..
Agreed pics would be nice..

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Hmm..maybe that is why Polaris ran the older 800s so rich..lol. J/K kind of.....seriously though that is weird...does the 11 have the aluminum tape in that spot like the earlier models have? I've melted nothing even with the turbo and no heat shields or wrap on the exhaust..just the stock aluminum tape on the motor side of the plastics there..
Agreed pics would be nice..
Got me curious. I'm going to check it out. I have noticed that it it not easy to remove, but didn't think of melting plastic....likely suffering from same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Once again, my problem is in the bed area, not the engine cover. My lock and ride cargo box is what melted. The right side of the box, about half way from front to back.
My dealer, as well as Polaris do not seem to be concerned. I built 1/2" spacers to raise the box. I'm hoping this solves the problem.
Must say I'm dissappointed in the response from Polaris.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again, my problem is in the bed area, not the engine cover. My lock and ride cargo box is what melted. The right side of the box, about half way from front to back.
My dealer, as well as Polaris do not seem to be concerned. I built 1/2" spacers to raise the box. I'm hoping this solves the problem.
Must say I'm dissappointed in the response from Polaris.
we understand, but this topic is motor cover area melting on many 2011s, i run a lock and ride too with no melting there,I dont see how enough heat could pass thru the plastic bed with no damage and melt the box above it, but maybe start a topic on it and see if others have that problem too.

H

·
0 Posts
does the 11 have the aluminum tape in that spot like the earlier models have?.
It does but it stops short a few inches from where they are melting.
Hmm..I see that the foil they are using is the same part as the older RZRs..but the panels are different...so I guess guys with the 11s better grab a roll of foil tape and get to work..
I hope everyone with a melted panel is taking it to the dealer and requesting warranty?

Also just noticed that the RZRs have a sound attenuating foam backer on the center panel..and the 4 does not :sad: BS lol..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I re routed the hoses and ran them through a 3/4" heater hose(someone on the forums suggested that) As for the engine cover i used shurtape aluminum heat tape to create a heat shield. Im gonna take the bed off and tape the bottom to have some heat deflection for a lock and ride box. I had no damage to any parts - just wanted to try to avoid a 2 hr drive to the dealership

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are at least 2 other threads on here w/pics referencing this problem. I have a 11 standard, the fire wall just in front of the header pipe is where it will melt, I had a 18" booger of plastic hanging down. The hoses from the rear end run through a clip mounted to the back of the engine then up to your firewall, at the clip is where they will melt. You can see these two areas from the right rear tire area.

Local dealer repaired the damage under warranty, but said they would fight with Polaris later.

Dealer replaced the firewall, and covered it in reflective tape, the vent tubes were replaced with fuel line hose.

I have put approx. 2 hrs on the rig since and the problem appears to be fixed.

My local dealer said they were unaware of a melting issues on the 11's, and at the time appox. 2 months ago PoPo hadn't issued any sort of recall or service bulletin.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

1 - 20 of 28 Posts