Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am sure many people are tired of reading about the transmission failure complaints, but I decided to post a couple pictures of my transmission first. I picked up my rzr a couple days ago, and there was two rzr-4's in the shop with the exact same broken parts. The flimsy c-clip is what keeps failing. The broken bearing got very hot at some point too, probably with all the stress that L-AWD puts on it? The mechanic also told me he couldn't tell any difference in the parts that were used to replace the broken ones with. This makes me nervous, but I am trying to remain somewhat optimistic that this won't happen again.

The "kit" that was on back order contained all these parts, which was about 400 bucks. Not too bad but the labor is the PITA for not mechanic type people. Also, notice the date.. Post 5-17-2010.

·
Better Friend Than Enemy
2,760 Posts
Great post.
We went through it, and wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Hopefully other brand competition will inspired Polaris to improve their trannys, and also the parts they ship to repair the transmissions too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got another members 08 on a trade and it had a bent input shaft and housing. i tore it down tonight and know exactly what clip you are talking about. I bent the thing taking it off. I bet the person at the factory putting the transmisions together is opening the clip up too much which. It does not close tight enough when released. I will have to get a new clip myself. It must be allowing the shaft to move too far afterwards.

I am going to take a closer look tomorrow and get some pictures to make sure it is the same clip.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I got another members 08 on a trade and it had a bent input shaft and housing. i tore it down tonight and know exactly what clip you are talking about. I bent the thing taking it off. I bet the person at the factory putting the transmisions together is opening the clip up too much which. It does not close tight enough when released. I will have to get a new clip myself. It must be allowing the shaft to move too far afterwards.

I am going to take a closer look tomorrow and get some pictures to make sure it is the same clip.

You also want the square edge of the clip facing the thrust load side not the rounded edge, look close at the snap ring they are stamped, stamping leaves one side square one side rounded when the rounded side pushes against the shoulder of the groove its more apt to spread and work off than the square edge side would.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the concept of spring clips. You'll find them in in almost every automatic transmission made, and a good many manual tranny's as well. It's just they have to be installed correctly (as noted above square edge away from the load so th clip bites the shaft) and the machining has to be correct.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the concept of spring clips. You'll find them in in almost every automatic transmission made, and a good many manual tranny's as well. It's just they have to be installed correctly (as noted above square edge away from the load so th clip bites the shaft) and the machining has to be correct.
And they cannot be opened to far or they will not go back to the correct size.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
That falls under the "installed correctly" clause...lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
That falls under the "installed correctly" clause...lol
true. i found I could not get the one off i was dealing with without it going out. the shaft is just big enough to be on the line of over extending it easily.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The flimsy c-clip is what keeps failing. The broken bearing got very hot at some point too, probably with all the stress that L-AWD puts on it?

Did this damage happen when you were in L-AWD? I climb rough trails 100's of yards long with some rock crawling and use L-AWD, isnt that the recommended way? You got me worried now? I have cooked belts fast climbing in H-AWD.

UNV

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just discovered this thread with a search of transmission problems. Mine broke 3 weeks ago and I just now got it apart. Exactly the same failure! I use my S for Colorado trails which means slow going over lots of rocks. I had covered 100 miles over 2 days and going down a steep slope in low and awd it popped and acted like it went into neutral. Had high gear to get back to the truck. Just today the dealer ordered me a kit-clutch shaft #3235254. Hopefully this is a better part, because otherwise I`ll never be able to trust this thing to get me back to the truck. Saw another post that a buyer should invest in an extended warranty then sell before it runs out. I may update to an `11 model and do just that.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
And they cannot be opened to far or they will not go back to the correct size.[/QUOTE

Maybe problem, because low quality of snap rings ?? just thought .
milos

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Could be Milos, but I'm leaning to incorrect installation. Spread them a little too wide and they are junk. You get some minimum wage weenie slamming them on one after the other and you'll have failures.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The mechanic also told me he couldn't tell any difference in the parts that were used to replace the broken ones with. This makes me nervous, but I am trying to remain somewhat optimistic that this won't happen again.

I just finished this exact same repair on mine and I couldn`t see any difference in the new parts either. I think Polaris doesn`t have their act together on the replacement parts since they appear identical even though the numbers are different. Matter of fact, I ordered the shaft assembly right off the parts diagragm which was #3235254. When I picked it up a few days later the box said #3235271 but my invoice said #3235254. You`d think the invoice would match what they give you. I`ve seen plenty of postings claiming the new part is a redesign but it sure looks to me like it is the same part with a new number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum, but looks like I'm all to familiar to the tranny problem as with alot of other folks. I was using my 2010 rzr with polaris tracks on it to pack some snow so that I could tow my buddies broke down sled, as I was traveling in reverse it seemed that something was wrong with its movement, I was right, when I stopped and tried to go forward I had nothing. I found low about half way between neutral and low, and could not pull it into high at all. My wife and I use this frequently in the back country looking for moose horns on logging roads where snowmobiles don't frequent, and we generally carry 10 extra gallons of gas with us due to the remoteness of our travels. I bought this with the tracks brand new and my dealer told me when traveling under 20 miles per hour to use low range and the track manual tell you to use 4 wheel drive. My rig is just under 1 year old and shows 2700 miles on the odometer which is incorrect because the tracks change your ratio big time. (40 miles per hour equals approx. 20 miles per hour according to my GPS. Is there any recalls for this and if not has the aftermarket world come up with anything better? Pretty confident that I'll be getting hosed by Polaris on this one as far as any warranty claims.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New to the forum, but looks like I'm all to familiar to the tranny problem as with alot of other folks. I was using my 2010 rzr with polaris tracks on it to pack some snow so that I could tow my buddies broke down sled, as I was traveling in reverse it seemed that something was wrong with its movement, I was right, when I stopped and tried to go forward I had nothing. I found low about half way between neutral and low, and could not pull it into high at all. My wife and I use this frequently in the back country looking for moose horns on logging roads where snowmobiles don't frequent, and we generally carry 10 extra gallons of gas with us due to the remoteness of our travels. I bought this with the tracks brand new and my dealer told me when traveling under 20 miles per hour to use low range and the track manual tell you to use 4 wheel drive. My rig is just under 1 year old and shows 2700 miles on the odometer which is incorrect because the tracks change your ratio big time. (40 miles per hour equals approx. 20 miles per hour according to my GPS. Is there any recalls for this and if not has the aftermarket world come up with anything better? Pretty confident that I'll be getting hosed by Polaris on this one as far as any warranty claims.
Sorry to hear you have had to deal with this as well. Unfortunatly to date, I don't think polaris gives a crap about us, I had to fork out to pay for mine. It seems only a couple lucky people have had theirs covered. :sad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.