Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my RZR up a trail road this weekend the engine started rattling loudly and suddenly something snapped and the engine shut down. The display light came on and showed "HOT". I thought the drive belt broke. When I got it home, I removed the clutch housing and was disappointed to see the belt did`nt break. I noticed the clutch weights had galled the clutch housing. I checked the oil level in the engine and it barely showed on the dipstick. I had just done an oil change less than 200 miles ago. I put oil in it and tried to start it, all it would do is click the starter. I tried turning the clutch by hand, but it felt like it was locked up. I could turn it counter clockwise with no trouble. I hate to think I blew the engine, but I`m afraid thats what happened. The engine has about 3500 miles on it. I would appreciate any input from anyone that thinks might help. I don`t want to spend $3000 on a new engine. HELP:noscrewed:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I understand your fears.

If you have a garage, drain the fluids and take the motor out onto a bench and open it up and see what is broken.

Then decide on how you want to repair it.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Trikerjon,

Do an "outside" inspection first. Inspect the intake tract from the air cleaner outlet, through the throttle body to the intake valves. Is there a coating of gas/dust "mud"? If so, as I did once, the cylinder walls get scored by the mud and you start sucking oil into the combustion chambers. Mine never smoked at all and after 20 miles that day I got the clanking like you did and it quit. Fortunately close to the paved road, got a ride to the truck, winched the RZR onto the truck and came home.

This was a Holz Stage III motor...ugh...pulled the motor and shipped it to Holz. They rebuilt it...all I got back was the original cases. the Rod/crank clearance was about an inch, if one had let go...It would have been a whole new engine!!!

Yup, drain the oil into a very clean pan, then get a paint filter from the paint shop, like the car painters use, pour the oil through it and see if you get lots of debris.

You can also remove the oil filter, cut it open and see what is on the interior...metal shavings...not good.

With the clanking...I don't think I'd do a compression test for fear of damaging the crank.

JMO. Let us know what you find. Mine had about a 1/8" thick coating of "mud" from injectors to intake valves. Never did figure out how it got there.

Pirate

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Pirate, thanks for all your input. It sounds like you had the same issue as me. I bought the RZR second hand and it was not very well taken care of. Today I pulled the primary clutch off and tried to start the engine. All it did was engage the starter, but wouldnt turn the engine over. I will try your suggestions and see what I come up with it. Did you take your engine out ? If so was it a big job ? I really dont want to tackle it ,but I dont want to spend a fortune repairing it. I see you live in Canon City, co. I live in Grand Junction.Thanks again

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Trikerjon,

Removing the motor is not that big of a project. Just follow the steps in the Service Manual and you won't go wrong.

Try taking out the spark plugs and see if the motor will turn over. Be sure you pull the plug wires off first and clean all the crap out from around the plugs...or when you pull them all that stuff goes into the cylinders...not good!!! That can tell a lot!

Grand Junction eh? I managed a turbine overhaul at the Cameo power plant the winter of 1983-1984, then back as Engineering Supervisor in 1985-1986, then started managing all sorts of projects from 1996 until the plant closed the end of 2010. Got to get by there on our way to Moab later this month and see how the dismantlement is coming. Was a great place to work and lots of great people!!!

Let me know if you have other questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Cuz yup, I've had the same experience you seem to be having...bummer!!

Pirate

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, those suggestions sound easy enough for starters. I drove through Canon City about a month ago on the way to Colorado Springs. I just attended the Veterans Rally in Cripple Creek a couple of weeks ago. If you come through G.J. give me a holler.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts