Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang,
Bought wife an 09 RZR 800 from 2nd owner. Long story, not worth re-telling, but I'm stuck with the fun. Decent lil machine with typical issues (ball joints, crappy stock susp, low-range, etc).

Went to the dealer to get a few parts and manager tells me it's still under extended warranty from original owner. Pay the $25 transfer fee and we're covered until Aug2013.

Do some basic maint, take it out a few times and trans is popping out of low range. Dealer says bring it in, it's covered. I ask dealer to fix whatever is covered by warranty. They put in an initial claim to replace ball joints, bushings, blah-blah-blah. Warranty company sends rep to do on-sight claim inspection and they approve ($1500 parts/labor). Then mech calls to tell me motor and tranny mounts are busted, to include one motor mount bolt broke off (no big...remove, heli-coil, replace) and a bushing inside trans is shot. Resubmit to warranty company and they balk. Warranty company (or Polaris..not sure yet) says extended warranty was not transferred properly to new owner(s) and they won't cover any more work.

Either way I got a crapload of work done for free on a used (read THRASHED) RZR. I've already done the LTR/YZ shock upgrade (LOVE IT) but I really need to get this motor/tranny mount fixed and also need to get the low range to stop popping out of gear. Dealer says roughly $800-900 to finish. I am more than mechanically inclined and don't mind finishing but my time is limited.

The only real thread I can find is more specific to the 2010 model (http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/59169-transmission-pops-out-low-range-3.html).

I'm heading down to dealer tomorrow to read the fine print on the warranty and the mech is more than happy to show me broken/worn parts which need replacing. He's happy to either a) give me a list of parts or b) fix it. The dealer is good to go and no heartache with them. He said he's happy to roll it out the door and tell me what needs to finish.

Can anyone point me in the right direction reference the motor/tranny mounts and the low-range issue for a 2009?

Sorry for the long, drawn out drama, but there it is!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The motor to tranny mount was busted on mine when I bought it used also. On mine, one of the stud bolts was busted off in the motor casting....we drilled it out, helo-coiled it, and it has held.

On the other side, the aluminum casting on the tranny was busted. To fix you can buy the casting new and replace it....or do as I did...take it to a fabricator and have the casting rebuilt...rebuild cost me $125.00, looks like new.

Also on the top mount where the motor bolts to the tranny assembly, two of the bolts were sheered off. They were fairly easy to punch out and replace with new.

In my case lots of labor....little out of the pocket cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts