Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rzr is not charging. When I charge the battery, it will run for a limited time, then the battery light starts flashing. Eventually it bogs down so bad that it quits. On a full charge it will run ok for a few minutes, then it loses power.

Also, i noticed that when it is running ok on a full charge, that when the rad fan kicks on, it loses a substantial amount of power.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Well put a volt meter on the battery with it running and see what the voltage is at idle. Rev it up and see if it close to 14 volts. You say you charge the battery. What does that mean? Over night, for an hour etc. 08's had a problem with the voltage regulators over heating and moved them to the front of the vehicle. Also are you running current demanding equipment? If it's an orginal battery, you may be due for a replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This problem occurs imediately when i use the rzr. It doesn't have to warm up. When I charge it over night, it will behave normally for a few minutes. Then it will start bogging and lacking power. Eventually, after a couple of days, the battery light flashes. It only gets used for about 15 min a day mostly on idle to take hay out to the horses. If i use it at night and use the lights, it goes for 5 minutes then quits.

·
Registered
180 Posts
x2 on the voltage regulator, i had the same problem and moving it to the front fixed that issue

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Possible problems:

1) Bad battery- how old is it? does it seem to accept the charge properly or does your charger meter needle bounce around a bit while attempting a charge?

2) RZR "alternator" not producing proper voltage- As inquired above, are you seeing 13-14V at the battery when reving the engine?

3) Bad voltage regulator

If your battery is a year or more old you likely need a new battery. A properly functioning battery should be able to provide enough current at 11-12V to keep it running properly for much more than 5 minutes without lights/accessories on. I would start there because if the battery is over a year old it needs replacing anyway IMO. If you put in a new battery, and the charging system/voltage reg. is the problem it will likely run fine for a few hours and then you will see the problem start to re-occur.

·
Aussie nut case
361 Posts
I had the exact problem with my S, it was a Bad voltage regulator, soon as it was changed it is like new. We went all over that thing with a volt meter couldn't find a thing wrong. Also there is a hard to find fuze in behind the volt regulator somewhere so check that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery is old. I will try that and the regulator. Where is the voltage regulator located? Is it easy to swap?

·
Aussie nut case
361 Posts
Under the hood near the headlight but in towards the middle, ours is an '11 so yours maybe not in the same spot :) Looks easy to change, the dealer did it for me because I had not had it for more than a few days when it started to act up so I took it back to them

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If "battery is old" means it is the originally stocked battery, there it is right there.

No brainer.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
if the battery checks out, and the voltage regulator shows to charge at first (or doesnt charge) dig into your harness (follow the red and black wires from the regulator) eventually they will turn into blue wires. those wires are your fusable link, but over time they get corroded and nasty and they will pass current for a bit until they warm up then they quit.. by now, the 08's are seeing this alot.. if the battery is good this would be my next place to look.
the voltage regulators on these things work pretty well (becasue they get hot and only charge about 20% of the time :) the regulators are also a little spendy, so it makes sense to check the wires out first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I put a new battery in it. Not the problem, but it was a lazy starter in the cold last winter, so it can't hurt. Dropped it off at the dealer to look for the problem. If I buy the regulator, I own it. No returns on electrical parts. Looks like it will be minimal charge to install, as it looks quite simple. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need to move my voltage regular to the front of my 2008 rzr to keep it cool. Where can I get a wire harness for the job? Please call Rick at (612)803-3024. Thank You

·
Just kidding!
10,757 Posts
If its only running for 15 min. I don think its a overheating problem. Its most likely bad wire, bad connection or bad voltage regulator.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the exact same issue, it was the voltage regulator. On the 08's, its behind the seat. It doesn't get any airflow to cool back there. You need to move it up in front of the radiator. You will need a new regulator as once it gets that hot it cooks itself. My dealer agreed to replace it through warranty but im sure its up on yours. guy48065 makes a beautiful plug and play harness to move the regulator up front. You will also need the bracket to mount it which is in the above link. Auto trend EFI no longer makes the harness to my knowledge.

·
cell 714 883 6171
157 Posts
if the battery checks out, and the voltage regulator shows to charge at first (or doesnt charge) dig into your harness (follow the red and black wires from the regulator) eventually they will turn into blue wires. those wires are your fusable link, but over time they get corroded and nasty and they will pass current for a bit until they warm up then they quit.. by now, the 08's are seeing this alot.. if the battery is good this would be my next place to look.
the voltage regulators on these things work pretty well (becasue they get hot and only charge about 20% of the time :) the regulators are also a little spendy, so it makes sense to check the wires out first.
martymoe.............I replaced the regulator and stator, still only 13.5 volts on a rev, do you think those wires in the loom are coroded? if they are do you just cut them out and resodder them and shrink rapp them and how much do you normally have to replace, a foot or 5 feet of them?..thanks,cameron...its an 08 rzr 800

1 - 18 of 18 Posts