·
The Lone Rzr
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Lone Rzr
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Went yesterday for a virus free ride yesterday down to Parker Dam and across to the California side
By boat this is the furthest you can go and then you would have to launch on the other side of parker dam.
Parker dam is actually the deepest dam in the world and 75% is beneath the river bed

20171126_091515_HDR1 by 185 EZ, on Flickr
20170806_0941311 by 185 EZ, on Flickr

·
Registered
69 Posts
My two wheeled ride shifted from street after 20+ years to dirt.. Here's my older toy - KTM 300-XCW and a YZ250F.

Raced enduros for a decade or so and now I'm under a cage for fun.. The KTM is loaded with all the bells and whistles I could throw on it - 300cc two-stroke and it would just rip.. The YZ started life as a 249cc which I put a 300cc big bore and stroker in, cams, head work with some porting/polishing and valves.. The weak link was the kick starter though - sheared it off the shaft several times as I changed compression with the build.. It was a sleeper though as the cylinder still was stamped with 249cc (even though it was bored) - couldn't legally race in the 250 class on it (did a couple times at first) and ended up in an open class.. In the 250 class it would walk away from the rest of the bikes.

Buddy and I wedged a CR500 engine into a CR250 frame - let's just say that was like riding a demon bike, light as a feather and more power than a bike should have. The CR500 engine came from a race bike and it wanted to rip your arms out of the sockets or loop out if you weren't paying attention..

Ahh - the good old days.. Love seeing the 2-wheelers (street or dirt) as it was my first love.. Been on them since I could ride a bicycle..
20170524_115825.jpg
20150419_104122.jpg
IMG_0560.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
My two wheeled ride shifted from street after 20+ years to dirt..
My two wheeled ride shifted from dirt after 20+ years to street when I realized that MX was a young man's sport!

Then, my street bikes shifted from sport bikes to touring bikes when my wife discovered they were available with sofa chairs over the rear fender! LOL

The first pic is of my first MX bike (sorry, it's a picture of a collage). The second pic is our last trip on Route 66 to the Chicken Shack in Luther, OK (thirty years later!).

Please keep the age comments to yourself. LOL

Racing Collage.jpg Chicken Shack Route 66.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
SoonerRC - I hear ya.. I shifted away from motocross to enduros as I didn't want to case a double or triple or land in the flats. Happened a couple times and I was really lucky.

Wish I had some pics from my childhood - love the one with the bike, trophies, and early years. Made me think of my old open face helmets with just visors - dual shocks/springs in the rear to monoshocks now.. We used to go take to our old bikes out and run them and I can't believe we did what we did on those things..

I can relate to the sofa chair comment though - completely different life and ride.. I stuck with the SXS as it rides like a couch when I dial it in and have uber comfy seats..

·
Registered
221 Posts
The only thing on two wheels I ever bought new for myself was a cheap 250. (I have purchased two other bikes as gifts though.) I liked that thing. For a cheap bike it did everything I needed it to do and had torque for days. It wasn't a jumper but I took it all over the desert for 2 seasons. I put a lot of hours on that thing and then one day a little over a year after buying it, it was stolen out of my garage in the middle of the day last August while people were at home in the back yard. *astards! It wasn't much but it was mine, dammit.
My Cheap 250.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dee Cee - I had a break in of my truck in my driveway and they hit the garage door opener (we were sound asleep and didn't hear a peep), stole a bunch of tools but none of my dirt bikes or any of her road (pedal) bikes. I think I had about 7 or so and it would have been so easy to just roll one out.. Likewise - several carbon fiber framed road bikes weren't even budged..

Strangely - they did steal my KTM binder with the service and manuals/paperwork for my 300, why - I still haven't the slightest idea... They also stole a 2.5 gallon gas jug - some thiefs.. Never found them.. Homeowners covered the stolen stuff but I wasn't as pissed about the tools as I was about the binder.. The things we cherish - she thought I was crazy..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dee Cee - I had a break in of my truck in my driveway and they hit the garage door opener (we were sound asleep and didn't hear a peep), stole a bunch of tools but none of my dirt bikes or any of her road (pedal) bikes. I think I had about 7 or so and it would have been so easy to just roll one out.. Likewise - several carbon fiber framed road bikes weren't even budged..

Strangely - they did steal my KTM binder with the service and manuals/paperwork for my 300, why - I still haven't the slightest idea... They also stole a 2.5 gallon gas jug - some thiefs.. Never found them.. Homeowners covered the stolen stuff but I wasn't as pissed about the tools as I was about the binder.. The things we cherish - she thought I was crazy..
Wow, aside from the KTM binder that was important to you, you really did get lucky. In my case it was only the bike that was taken but like a lot of garages, there was $$$$ in other goodies. But I guess the most thankful thing is that they didn't come through the man door into the house. My daughter and granddaughter were there. Best a tweeker take something that's easily replaced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Totally agree - it didn't even wake my dog up, I guess that is what I get for a "silent" garage door opener... I do dead bolt and lock the door into the house from the garage so getting in would have been a challenge (keyed in garage like an exterior door) - had they made it in (the dog would have been up and they would have been at the end of a barrel or, well, ended...)

I had a break in once where they were trying to come in the garage door to the house (before the deadbolt) - they were met with loaded gun and my mutt, one crapped himself and left a mess as he ran away - the other met my old dog and that wasn't pleasant for that guy..

It's been a while now and cameras, motion sensing lights, etc.. have dissuaded a few.. It was in a small town (like Mayberry from the old tv show) and it blew me away it was going on there. Police found out there was a group from a neighboring city that was coming in at night and stealing stuff and selling over there.. Most got busted and after a few run-ins with the locals during burglaries, they never showed up again..

·
The Lone Rzr
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got out before the sun kicked in. 94* this morning.
image0000001 (1).jpg
image0000011.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts