Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the 2" Crows (H) padded. In hindsight, I like the way the DFR harnesses connect the shoulder and the lap belt on the respective side. It would seem to make slipping in and out of the harness much easier.

Do you think I could have someone sew a connector piece to my shoulder and lap belts to loosely connect them and accomplish the same thing??

Has anyone done this??

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at them tonight. It looks like I could have a piece of belt sewn between the shoulder part and the lap part on each side without a problem.

These wouldn't have to be super tough as the harness would still be connected using the standard method, but these pieces would hold the shoulder and lap sections together (more or less) when the harness is disconnected. So that you would slide in and out of the harness like a vest, similar to the DFR harnesses.

Clear as mud??

I'm gonna have it done I think. I'll take some pics when I'm done.

Dave

·
In His service!
367 Posts
Go to an upolstery shop. They can do it.

Did you know reupolsters never die....they just recover! :rofl3:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the 3x3 5 points from dj safety that have the shoulder and laps sewn together. they are awesome and a lot easier to put on then my regulare 3x3 5 points in my truggy. Ive heard the same thing that Johnny said about them not being as safe. I think that would be an issue in racing applications but dj safety list these belts as a buggy belt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem. Solved it by using 1" straps (same material as the side nets) and plastic buckles.
Since my release pull tabs were missing on the shoulder belts, I threaded the straps through that part of the metal buckle on the harness and then looped the plastic buckle so that it hangs down.
Sew a 45 degree bend between the metal and plastic buckles with a standard sewing machine and your done.
Now the harness doesn't separate while riding and when unbuckled, I have an easy way to loosen the shoulder straps.
Was going to include photo, but camera has dead battery.
Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took yet another look at it and decided to go a little less permanent way.

Being an LEO, I thought of using nylon belt keepers around the shoulder and lap sections of belt. Then, I can have a small piece of belt made with a loop on each end. This will serve as the piece that connects the keepers to each other. Should I decide that I don't want to do this anymore, or buy a new machine, I can take them out.

This WILL NOT replace the connection method that Crow uses for the harness. In fact, when the harness is secure around you, doing what it was created for, these pieces will not even come into play. They will only be pertenant when the harness is not connected and you are slipping in or out of it. You will slide into it like a vest but still have to connect the four sections (4-way harness) just like you always did.

I can't see why Crow couldn't make something like that.

I'll take pics when I'm done.

Dave

·
Dismembered Member
19 Posts
The reason the Crows are race approved is because they are INDIVIDUAL pieces, nothing else. The rescue crews need a belt that completely seperates to aid in pulling a unconscious driver from a burning wreck in a hurry. If the right hand shoulder and right hip are connected on one side and likewise on the other side you would need to fish the drivers arms out of each side to prevent a hang-up, but with the seperate pieces you can just yank. IMHO this would be a very rare event for most utv users. I believe the DFR's and the Crows are equal when it comes to safety. I chose the DFRS for ease of use. And I feel if it is easier to use then you will be more likely to use it. Many may not always use the shoulders with the crow's when going on a little putt and are much more likely with the DFR's do to them being attached to the lap belt. You also only need to make one connection on the DFR's (possibly two with the sub belt) versus threading the individual components together with the crows and others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.