Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to head out to Glamis in a few weeks and this will be my 1st time with the RZR4 800. Been going for years but never in a RZR. Looking for some feedback on overall performance to be expected. I will be running with buggies and not sure ill be able to keep up. Unit is stock other than Sand Stars and a Sand Clutch yet to be purchased.And a few non performance related items. I am considering just getting a 900 but mine is paid for and i really like the suspension on the 800 vs 900 due to the fact that i do mostly desert riding and i feel it is much more durable.:drive1:

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Getting ready to head out to Glamis in a few weeks and this will be my 1st time with the RZR4 800. Been going for years but never in a RZR. Looking for some feedback on overall performance to be expected. I will be running with buggies and not sure ill be able to keep up. Unit is stock other than Sand Stars and a Sand Clutch yet to be purchased.And a few non performance related items. I am considering just getting a 900 but mine is paid for and i really like the suspension on the 800 vs 900 due to the fact that i do mostly desert riding and i feel it is much more durable.:drive1:
Do Not get the sand stars for your rzr4. You'd be better off with the oem knobbies.
If I were you, I'd try it with just some good paddles and oem clutch to start with. Add a clutch kit latter, after you get a baseline with a good set of paddles.

The RZR 4 is like a mini van out at glamis. It pretty much goes anywhere and can keep up ok with the right tires. It is underpowered for Glamis imo, but then again, I drive a turbo.

I followed Dave from FSS for a whole season in his stock rzr4. He did fine with it. Although he did have the best sand paddles money can buy. Even saw him go up China wall with it... although it was a little sideways, but he did make the top. That feat was more the driver than the RZR4.

jmo

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what are the best paddles to get. I already have the sand stars. I was considering going smaller than 26" to lower the CG. I have seen many rzr on thier lid in the dunes?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a thread spelling it all out. Buffs with blasters. 4+4 5+5 off set front to back. Just not sure is the same is true for the 800

·
Registered
948 Posts
Never go smaller for the dunes. In height or width. Smaller tires in the dunes equals stuck. Flotation is the key. You don't always have to go taller but the wider the better.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Found a thread spelling it all out. Buffs with blasters. 4+4 5+5 off set front to back. Just not sure is the same is true for the 800
I won't tell you what tires to get. I'll let the experts tell you. Some here would say to get a 2 paddle Skat for everything Polaris... :rofl3:

Talk to a shop that knows sand tires. And will back up what they sell you. There are few of them. Some better than others.
My preference, as is many here on the forum, Fullerton Sand Sport.
Dave there knows the rzr4 800 very well, as he rode one for at least a full year at Glamis trying many different sand paddles out on it.

jmo

·
Administrator
50,349 Posts
I won't tell you what tires to get. I'll let the experts tell you. Some here would say to get a 2 paddle Skat for everything Polaris... :rofl3:

Talk to a shop that knows sand tires. And will back up what they sell you. There are few of them. Some better than others.
My preference, as is many here on the forum, Fullerton Sand Sport.
Dave there knows the rzr4 800 very well, as he rode one for at least a full year at Glamis trying many different sand paddles out on it.

jmo
X2 Call Dave !:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Had my rzr4 out there bone stock with dirt tires rite after we bought it and i was surprised it did very well and went every were i wanted it to. I can see how paddles would give you much more advantage tho. Better handling, more grab. So this year the only thing I'm going to change is get a good set of paddles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are into big hills get the paddles, otherwise stock tires with 4wd is ok. Plan on taking more fuel than normal. Check your oil, as mine tends to use a little in the sand. Just spent a week at kill pecker in wyoming last month and loved it.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
So what should I expect for performance out of my 2012 rzr4 800.
Well, top speed for my rzrS when it was stock, was 53 WOT on an average sand day. 58 when sand was 'hard'. That was with 7 paddle Skat extremes and buffs.
A rzr4 800 is a little slower and heavier, (WOT 48-50?guesstimate), especially if you're loaded with 4 adults. Then you would be a slug.

Alone or with a smaller passenger not to bad at all.

As you know, can't go full speed everywhere at Glamis. Out in the dunes cruising between the big bowls and riding the ridges you will be able to keep up fine. Blasting thru the baby dunes you also will be fine. Going up Olds and China, not so much... But if you're a good driver, no one will be able to run away out of site from you... except on the biggest steepest dunes. Probably will have to go around to the end of China and wind your way up to get to the top.Same for a few other real steep dunes out in the back, or around Osborne Overlook.

We couldn't make it up the middle section of Olds with 4 good size guys in it. That is The guys from EPI driving, and me in the back seat. Oh ya, For the helmet police, that is the exception. I usually always wear a helmet. We were all hanging at the bottom of the hill and they wanted some weight in it to do a clutch test. So we hopped in real quick...

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had my rzr4 out there bone stock with dirt tires rite after we bought it and i was surprised it did very well and went every were i wanted it to. I can see how paddles would give you much more advantage tho. Better handling, more grab. So this year the only thing I'm going to change is get a good set of paddles.

Awsome that was what I was hoping. I am still going to get a clutch and paddles. Thanks for the feed back.

·
Administrator
50,349 Posts

Awsome that was what I was hoping. I am still going to get a clutch and paddles. Thanks for the feed back.
Please be careful out there .:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Please be careful out there .:)
Will do for sure. Looking forward to the new perspective on the dunes from the RZR.

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts
A fun time and a weekend you'll always remember...

Make sure you ride with some other experienced riders...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts