Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

621 - 640 of 673 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well, I hope that resolves the issue.
Is there a notch in the ball joint that the pinch bolt rides on, so it's impossible for the ball joint to slide out? Or it just pinches around the ball joint.
I haven't had to get involved with sxs ball joints yet, just trying to make sense of this all in my head... although I think I'm a little off this week anyway.

Glad you were able to get some progress done even with the holiday👍🏽

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #626
A few quick updates:

A-arms TIG welded and painted (powder coating later). I just relocated the upper cross bar for clearance with the hydraulic steering.

@SuperATV HD screw-in ball joints serviced. I am really impressed with these, I'll do a seperator thread review later.

Vent lines added to the portals. Machined a M16 adapter for the full plug and added a 3AN vent line. More on this later.

I was never really happy with the door hinge & latch design. Changed out the "T" pull latches for auto style bear claw latches. I wanted to had a second hinge but that would have required redesigning the entire door. Machined down the shoulder bolts in the hinges to tighten them up. No more sagging and the alignment is perfect, open/close with one finger. Also machined a knurled knob for the latches so it's easy to grab. Done! (y)

Started working on an enclosure for cold weather riding. I didn't want a soft enclosure with zippers that have undone every time you get in/out. So started fabing up hard upper doors. They will be easily removable with a few screws for warm weather riding. Have not decided on 1/8" or 1/4" lexan yet. I have both and hopefully will make a decision tonight so which will work best. Also adding old school swing out vent windows to provide ventilation in the summer. This also allowed me to add gussets to the B & C pillars on the cage.

So satisfying being able to build custom $hit and spending time tinkering in "Man's World". Kinda like therapy 😁

First window mocked up and tac welded together. Bolts on from the inside of the door tubing with five 6mm cap screws. Hope to get the design finalized tonight. I'll get some better pitctures once it's complete.

Auto style latches, I'll get some pics on them installed tonight.

Made a some tube adapters for the small fixed window. The B pillar gusset double as mounting points and structural. This way the small windows are easily removed when not in use.

I'll try to update with better pictures tonight once I'm done for the day.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Vents something youd recommend while I do my install later?

ill be watching for the latch setup as mine will be redone as well.

Thats right Joe, youget all the therapy you need and fab it all beforeI get there. Saves me time and money lol. Looks like the cnc is getting used as well.

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds like some great updates/ upgrades Joe.

Those windows with wing vents are going to be awesome

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
So cool having a plasma cnc. Cut the old latch off, drew up a new mount, and cut it on the plasma. It makes cutting out parts so easy and accurate. Machined a small knob for the latch handle while I was at it.

Before:

After:

In hind sight think I should have just built the cage myself 🙄

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
Passenger front window done. Used a cheap piece of 0.80" polycarbonate for the first attempt at making the window. Probably make them all out of it because it's cheap and I don't have a lot of time before I leave a trip scheduled. I'll hrow some cheap tint on the back on and let it ride for now. They'll make a good pattern for when I replace them with the good stuff. :coffee: time....

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Very cool...and I think you're right.... go with thin material and replace it sooner . Now that you have the template just change them out once per season or so ?. It would be cheaper than going with thick / expensive Hard coat Polycarb and expecting it to hold up over a long time ...I think

Reactions: RZR_Joe

·
Registered
910 Posts
As for the vents, i was referring to the portal vents.
i just gave my oldest son his first vehicle since he started driving a few months back, an 84 dodge d150 with a slant 6. It used to have ablowthrough turbo setup that i done but i made him yank it all off. Anyway, it has the wings on the doors and no AC so I know all about the advantages of the older vehicles with “2-55 AC”
Keep at it, i been on honey do list so im yet to shoot more vids and progress.

Reactions: RZR_Joe

·
Registered
206 Posts
Passenger front window done. Used a cheap piece of 0.80" polycarbonate for the first attempt at making the window. Probably make them all out of it because it's cheap and I don't have a lot of time before I leave a trip scheduled. I'll hrow some cheap tint on the back on and let it ride for now. They'll make a good pattern for when I replace them with the good stuff. :coffee: time....

View attachment 664336 View attachment 664337
Looks great Joe. Weather strip around edges?

·
Registered
2014 XP 1000 on portals
76 Posts
What is currently considered the good stuff? What I’ve been using for windows eventually gets scratched, 1/4” thick something.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Looks great Joe. Weather strip around edges?
Yep, just waiting to do it last. Tried several kinds last night (I have collected too much $hit over the years 😆) and found one that will work well.

What is currently considered the good stuff? What I’ve been using for windows eventually gets scratched, 1/4” thick something.
Abrasion resistant polycarbonate, each Mfg has their own version. Lexan calls it MR10

621 - 640 of 673 Posts