Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 673 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years it's time for the ole girl to get a few updates, well BIG changes actually :grin

Over the winter months I'll be doing a lot of trick stuff to her. She's coming apart and everything (less engine) will be getting new parts and updates. I will keep track of the progress in this thread and show some step by step upgrades as well as some reviews on new stuff. If there is something of particular interest anyone wants to see let me know and I'll try to accommodate.

The current setup has worked very well and done everything I've asked of her but it's time to take her in a different direction. It will be a bit of a learning curve but then again that's what makes it fun.

I won't give away too much yet but I will it's going to be BIG changes :grin

Current: I will list details of the current setup later

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Parts are starting to roll in so it won't be long before the fun begins. The rebuild will consist of:
SATV +6" Long Travel Suspension
SATV Billet GDP 4" 15% Portals
SATV Bounty Series Driveline
SATV Billet Front Diff case
(Thanks to @SuperATV)
Keller "Mega" Ball Joints
SCR Carrier Bearing
HD Extreme Stage 3S internals
Maxxis 37" Creep Crawlers
15x8 Hiper Wheels
RZR Sharp Customs Cage & Doors (More on this later :grin )
18+ Front Fascia
Carbon Fiber Dash & Console
Replacing the AEM CD5 with a CD7 Display

Reusing:
OEM Fox IBP shocks with Shock Therapy Stage 4 setup
OEM Rack w/ SCR Steering stabilizer w/ Saturn Vue PS Unit (may go hydraulic steering)
OEM Clutches with SLP kit (will refresh)

Those are the major points and my current suspension parts will be for sale in the parts section later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have said in the past portals don't work for your riding area or riding style, curious what brings on the big change?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have said in the past portals don't work for your riding area or riding style, curious what brings on the big change?

You are correct sir and a great question. I still have reservations and my concerns have been and still are the width and wheel spin.

If you' ride where traction is excellent and the trails are wide open portals are almost a no brainier. However, there is a huge difference in East coast vs West coast riding as far as terrain goes. We on the east coast don't have the traction or wide open trails as the guys on the west coast. However, the trail widths have been getting wider over the years. I find myself riding more Jeep / Bouncer / crawler trails where the width is less of an issue.

I have done portals in the past and had issues breaking gears. This was due to large heavy tires and wheel spin. When the wheels are spinning fast and they suddenly catch traction they were prone to shearing the teeth off the primary gear. To be fair the portals I ran in the past where by another company.

I have had a lot of discussion with SATV about this issue. They feel they have made a lot of progress in developing a portal with much stronger gears and can take the abuse of east coast style riding. Portal setups have typically been a mud and west coast thing. SATV wants to show that portals can be a good option for east coast trail riders.

I will pull no punches and be 100% objective in my opinions of portals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You joining the Slikrok team?
Curt and Jake are great guys and a blast to ride width. Much respect for what they have done for our sport.
I follow their pages and you tube channel and have learned a lot from them. We were at Windrock the same weekend and crossed paths on the trails, but there were just TOO many people around to get to actually meet them. I have to say their machines are pretty amazing!!! Good luck with your build, I will be following and curious to see the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You joining the Slikrok team?
Curt and Jake are great guys and a blast to ride width. Much respect for what they have done for our sport.
I follow their pages and you tube channel and have learned a lot from them. We were at Windrock the same weekend and crossed paths on the trails, but there were just TOO many people around to get to actually meet them. I have to say their machines are pretty amazing!!! Good luck with your build, I will be following and curious to see the outcome.
I led them on Friday's ride where we had 8 buggies and we hit some gnarly stuff, it was awesome :grin I knew Saturday would be crazy with people so I hung out at the toy hauler with the wife.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XPT Front differential:

I got some parts in today from HD Extreme Offroad.

1. Stage 3 “S” Differential Kit https://www.hdextremeoffroad.com/product/stage-3-s-differential-kit/

Tru-Trac Output Hubs (Includes Spacers and Upgraded Hub Bearings)
25% Thicker Sprague Carrier over Stock
20% Larger Oversized Hardened Rollers
Extreme Duty II Armature Plate

Optional Stage 3B Kit Adds:
Upgraded Xtreme Performance Pinion Bearing
Upgraded Hardened Machined Ring Gear Pin
Upgraded Differential Seals (1-Pinion Seal, 2-Output Hub Seals)

2. Billet Spring Retainer https://www.hdextremeoffroad.com/product/billet-spring-retainer/

The diff is made by DC Motorsports and marketed by HD Extreme Offroad. I have done business with them before and they do quality work. I had them built me a complete billet diff for my Jagged X. It was a work of art and functioned flawlessly so I knew I would be going back to them for parts for the XPT diff. I was not disappointed as the quality of the parts is second to none.

The billet spring retainer I was surprised to find out is made by Two Guys Hobbies Billet Spring Retainer ? Two Guys Hobby I have no problem with this because it's a quality part but what I do have a problem with is the price. Two Guys sells it for $135 on their website and HD Extreme sells it for $150, not cool. Most people would not even notice but upon inspecting it closely "Two Guys Hobbies" is laser etched into the retainer in small print. While $15 is minor in comparison to what these parts cost it's the point for reselling another companies product for more than the original sells it for that irks me.

I am waiting on the billet diff case from SuperATV. I will go into the details of the diff case when I start the build.

I will detail the diff assembly in a separate thread of it's own. For now here are some pics of the parts.

Stage 3S Diff

HD Pinion bearing and extreme seals

The Super ATV diff comes with the seals so I will use these in my spare backup diff. The HD pinion bearing will be used.

Armature Plate & HD Roll pin

Spring Retainer

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Those diff parts looks (mostly) familiar! minus the "S" additions that I couldn't wait the extra couple weeks for lol :grin

I noticed that on my spring retainer too... I hadn't ever heard of Two Guys Hobby before that oddly enough, but I did the same search you did, the only difference I could conclude is it doesn't look like the Two guys comes with the pin pre installed...but i can't confirm that, just from a brief look at their pics on the website. The markup and resell tactic is pretty lame tho...happens so much in the industry, as you know lol.

I laid those HD seals next to a brand new stock set and aside from the color, could tell much difference really, that may be a little on hoaxy side too....but it could just be unseen differences in materials too...

I never noticed before how similiar the tread pattern on the Creepys is to the Crawler XG's I had...the sidewall lugs are different, but the main tread is almost identical, interesting.

Do they not make X300 axles to go with the LT setup yet? Or did you just stick with 2.0's because they're tried and true?

Can't wait to see the beast she's gonna become!, gonna be awesome!

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those diff parts looks (mostly) familiar! minus the "S" additions that I couldn't wait the extra couple weeks for lol :grin

I noticed that on my spring retainer too... I hadn't ever heard of Two Guys Hobby before that oddly enough, but I did the same search you did, the only difference I could conclude is it doesn't look like the Two guys comes with the pin pre installed...but i can't confirm that, just from a brief look at their pics on the website. The markup and resell tactic is pretty lame tho...happens so much in the industry, as you know lol.

I laid those HD seals next to a brand new stock set and aside from the color, could tell much difference really, that may be a little on hoaxy side too....but it could just be unseen differences in materials too...

I never noticed before how similiar the tread pattern on the Creepys is to the Crawler XG's I had...the sidewall lugs are different, but the main tread is almost identical, interesting.

Do they not make X300 axles to go with the LT setup yet? Or did you just stick with 2.0's because they're tried and true?

Can't wait to see the beast she's gonna become!, gonna be awesome!
Two Guy were the original maker of the bearing greaser tool I believe.

I wondered about the seals myself LMAO

The Creepies look like Roxzillas and Crawlers had a child :rofl3:

They do make a +3" X300 and I would have liked to run them but there's this pesky thing called a budget :cus: Maybe down the road :grin

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Well that greaser tool is ever multiplying...imitation in the sincerest form of flattery, so they must've done it right lol....Tiger Tool was the first I heard that made it...and that's only because I won one in ROTM last year lol

I hate budgets...they get in the way of too much fun damn it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like its gonna be a fun build.. I was wondering if you considered a RS1 diff??
I haven't seen any of DC's videos lately to see if they have upgrades for the rs1...so maybe the stage 3 is the way to go.?

1 - 20 of 673 Posts