Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

341 - 352 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Had some tiny chips out of the small helical gear on the pinion that drives the rear output. Weddle stated they round off the gear teeth corners with a dremel to reduce chipping and stress cracking. I don’t think my riding style is anywhere near aggressive enough to warrant doing this, but since it was a used transmission and it’s apart I figured why not. Certainly can’t hurt and it will be easier to tell if I have any additional chipping when I split the case next winter for inspection. I’ve been cleaning everything immaculately so I can take good pics for future reference.

The rear output gear has some nasty burrs from manufacturing.

Took my time and rounded off all the gear teeth corners with a dremel then polished them with a fine 3M roloc disc in a die grinder. Cleaned the burrs off the sides while I was at it.

Did the gear on the pinion shaft that meshes with it as well, this is the gear had very minor chipping.

Still waiting on bearings but shims showed up as did my order from Weddle. Weddle by far has the best pricing on all the o-rings, snap rings, seals ect. Quick shipping, excellent packaging and all in stock at a great price.

I have all the shafts and gears cleaned up, inspected and ready to go. Borrowed a dial indicator from a buddy at work for setting backlash. Cleaning and prepping the cases tonight then it’s just a waiting game for bearings.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I found a crack on the RH case half last night. Definitely learned my lesson buying a used transmission, next time I would start with a new one. Local dealer said they’re on B/O until 3/12 so I shopped around online and RMATV had 5 in stock so I ordered one.

The crack isn’t all the way thru yet but I’d rather replace it and be done then have it crack in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Measured valve lash on 5-9-20 at 213.6 hours and 1,699 miles. I did not change anything, just wanted to get a baseline. They were:
  • Mag intake outboard .006
  • Mag intake inboard .007
  • PTO intake outboard .007
  • PTO intake inboard .008
  • Mag exhaust outboard .014
  • Mag exhaust inboard .013
  • PTO exhaust outboard .017
  • PTO exhaust inboard .017

Measured today 1-10-21 with 283.1 hours and 2,215 miles. A 69.5 hour and 516 mile difference. They are:
  • Mag intake outboard .006
  • Mag intake inboard .007
  • PTO intake outboard .007
  • PTO intake inboard .008
  • Mag exhaust outboard .014
  • Mag exhaust inboard .013
  • PTO exhaust outboard .017
  • PTO exhaust inboard .018 (this was the only change)

Pretty much no wear at all. The intakes are all within spec so I left them alone. All 4 intake tappets are 492’s. The exhaust tappets are all 450’s. I will be ordering a 460, 458, 468 & 470. Should get all exhaust’s right at spec which is .010.
You probably already ordered, or don't have access to a milling machine. But With a grinding stone in the mill you can grind down the inside of the cup to get your lash.

Also take the time to measure the right end of the mid shaft to make sure it is not out of bearing press specifications. You would have to look that up as I forget what it is. That bearing is known to go out and a big thread about it here claiming oil issue. In my case I fount the shaft was a few thousandths above maximum specification. after loosing that bearing twice.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Engine is back together already but I appreciate the info.

The reverse idler shaft has two small 6903 bearings. These are the reason I split the cases initially. Last year I had to install 2 cheap bearings due to time constraints and I wanted to replace them. After inspecting them closely, I noticed the cheap ones don’t even have a riveted cage, just folded tabs holding the cage together. The replacement Nachi has a riveted cage as I’m sure most of the better bearings do. Anyway, glad I’m replacing those two.

All the replacements showed up today as well.

For anyone interested, these are all the bearings inside of a turbo transmission.
2 ea - 6903
2 ea - 6303 C3
1 ea - 6305 C3
1 ea - 6205 C3
2 ea - 6206 C3
3 ea - 6207 C3
2 ea - 6010 C3
1 ea - 6012 C3

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Case half has been sitting at FedEx in Tennesse for almost a week so hopefully it leaves soon. I did finish assembling the front diff and got it installed along with the prop shafts. Working on installing the front suspension and steering while I wait.

Joe finished the gear reduction chart so I was able to get my final output gear reduction numbers. It confirms the service manual was correct with the XPT and XP ratios.

Final output gear reduction percentages.
Low - 36.38%
High - 21.60%
Reverse - 28.97%

(Top is a 2017 XP4, bottom is a 2017 XPT w/ Ace325 reduction)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
No, that’s a high gear spacer. There is no RZR shim kit so to speak, just have to buy shim packs and DIY. As soon as I get my case half I’ll start the trans build and will post details as I go.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Looking forward to it, I have the stuff for a gear reduction and to replaced bearings and was curious if there was anything else you would consider a must/should do while having it apart.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
I would get any brand of HD pinion bearing retaining plate and new snap rings to replace the ones you have to remove. I would also replace the o-ring on the shift drum. If you’re going as far as removing the snorkel gear then I’d get a new o-ring for the snorkel tube as well.

I spoke with FedEx again today and they’re telling me Friday delivery so I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Box was rallied but the case half survived.

Got the 6mm holes tapped, and the case half deburred. Deburred the entire outside of the case and all the rough spots from the inside. I did the LH case half a couple weeks ago which was a lot more work.

Did a thorough clean of my shop and got all the parts laid out, going to start assembling Friday evening, hoping to finish this weekend.

341 - 352 of 352 Posts