Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

301 - 320 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Just trying to eliminate any potential failures. We can ride right from our new house and there’s a trailhead up the mountain 4 miles away so we’ll be putting on a lot more miles this year. Old location we had to trailer everywhere. Hoping by doing all the PM now I can get through the whole year just doing fluids.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Thats awesome... nothing like being able to test without it being a major pain .

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Looks like you are back at it.

Out of curiosity what is the part number of your tranny? 1333663?
Looked for a part number and I don’t have one because I had to replace that half when my other one cracked.

If you want the factory low gearing then you would want part#1333610 from a 2017 XPT4.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to confirm.
It should still have the 2 piece shaft as well, correct?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
I think it should. It will also depend on the gearing you’re after.

One issue for me with the 2016/17 XPT4 transmission is that if you do the Ace325 gearing to reduce high range, you’re reducing low range even more. For our riding that doesn’t work well, I ride with a few Trails & Rocks editions and I think they’re too low for some of the muddy hillclimbs we have to do where you need wheel spin. We do a lot of lower speed(15-20 mph) trail riding where low range is perfect and with even lower gearing I’d have to run high which is then too high. Trail & Rocks are pretty strung out running even 15 mph in low and I’m too heavy to run high when it starts getting hilly or crossing weeks where there’s extra load. If I had the super low gearing I’d be switching back and forth between low and high all the time. I’m actually really happy with the gear reduction I have now.

I would just be realistic with your riding environment and the requirements you need. We have just enough mud, skeg, and slimy hills when it rains that too low of a low range hurts. If our climate was dryer or had mostly rock then I’d want the really low gearing.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Okay, so the 610 already has low low and if you change high, low ends up ultra low?

How fast did you say you can go in low? I also don't remember exactly what reduction you ended up doing. I don't think I want too low of low either. I'll have to give it more thought.
I was under the impression that if i got the 610 tranny, that would have been one less gear to buy. It's all kinds of confusing.

Also on bearings you mentioned nachi. What about the kit cryoheat sells?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
The 610 tranny has the Ranger low gear set, but high gear is still high. I wanted some reduction in high gear so it would still be useable. The only way to reduce high gear is with the Ace325 set but that reduces all 3 gear ranges.

The 610 tranny with the Ace set is around a 50% reduction in low(iirc) compared to a 2018+ XPT transmission.

I believe the gearing in your 2019 XP4 1K is the same that was in my 2017 XP4 1K. RWB173 did all the calculations for me, but the overall reduction I saw (Ace325 set in a 2017 XPT2 trans vs stock 2017 XP4 1K) are as follows

High gear - 12.7%
Low gear - 26.4%
Reverse - 19.5 %

Here is a screenshot from a PM with RWB173 showing the gear reduction.

Low gear maxes around 25 mph but 20 mph is about the most I feel comfortable sustaining and anything above that fuel mileage drops big time. If I’m going to be above 20 mph for awhile and it’s moderately flat low load terrain then I’ll shift to high range.

Cryoheat is probably the cheapest place to by Nachi bearings. That’s what I would do if I was ordering a complete set. They won’t split up the bearing sets though and I only needed the two so I ordered from VXB Bearings.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #308 (Edited)
I would decide what percentages of gear reduction you want in H/L/R and then figure out what combination of transmission & gear reduction gets you the closest.

I actually wish high gear was a little lower, maybe 5%, but it’s not possible.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The 610 tranny has the Ranger low gear set, but high gear is still high. I wanted some reduction in high gear so it would still be useable. The only way to reduce high gear is with the Ace325 set but that reduces all 3 gear ranges.

The 610 tranny with the Ace set is around a 50% reduction in low(iirc) compared to a 2018+ XPT transmission.

I believe the gearing in your 2019 XP4 1K is the same that was in my 2017 XP4 1K. RWB173 did all the calculations for me, but the overall reduction I saw (Ace325 set in a 2017 XPT2 trans vs stock 2017 XP4 1K) are as follows

High gear - 12.7%
Low gear - 26.4%
Reverse - 19.5 %

View attachment 664940
Low gear maxes around 25 mph but 20 mph is about the most I feel comfortable sustaining and anything above that fuel mileage drops big time. If I’m going to be above 20 mph for awhile and it’s moderately flat low load terrain then I’ll shift to high range.

Cryoheat is probably the cheapest place to by Nachi bearings. That’s what I would do if I was ordering a complete set. They won’t split up the bearing sets though and I only needed the two so I ordered from VXB Bearings.
So what combination of low gears are you running then? Still oem for a 2017 XPT4? Or did you reduce low some?

32 or 35” tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
I have a 2017 XPT 2 transmission with the Ace325 gear set. I’m running 33’s.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ok that makes more sense. Your running the 29/64 low gear set. I don’t like the 25/67 low gear set with the 25/48 reverse shaft either. It’s just to low to get up a lot of stuff. And I’m like you I like to be able to cruise around in low without listening to the engine screaming the whole time.

·
Registered
930 Posts

High gear - 12.7%
Low gear - 26.4%
Reverse - 19.5 %

View attachment 664940

That's interesting. I can currently do at least 50 in low. I have never maxed out in low but 50 is pushing it and reving up there.
I thought I've heard people talking about 20 or so with 36%.
Crashcity recommends the highest % 56%? For 35s. I think they can still go decently fast in low...15-20 idk.

It sounds like i want either what you have now or what you really want.

I was in the master sheet thread. It sounds like you need the shaft that keeps reverse and high the same. I think I originally wanted what you have with reverse lower than high.

This seems like it might be a trial and error thing.

Is your high range, basically just getting you back to stock?

I really appreciate you helping out on this. I would love to talk to rwb but he isn't onas often now cause hes tied up in diapers. Joe has helped clear some confusion but also created more.

It would be nice to have high a little lower stan stock i think but not too much. I don't want to be limited to 60mph in high 😂.

I think the 610 tranny has the same gearing as the TRE, but obviously something is still different. I'm going to have to dig into this more. I think I only have 2 options...the 610 or the 663 which is what you should have. But i also know there are 2 different shafts on the turbo trannys. I did see an 863 turbo tranny that is from 2019/2020.

I might be ok with what you have. Looking at just the percentage, but i was initially thinking the 36% low but that would be too low according to what you are experiencing. So I'm further confused 😂

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
33/29 = 13.7% difference so the 12.7% high gear reduction is bringing it back close to stock for the diameter increase, but the 33’s are considerably heavier which is why I wish the high gear reduction was another 5% lower.

The way I look at it, you can always add the Ranger low gear set later, it’s not difficult to pull the transmission. I will also never run anything larger than a 33 so I don’t see myself gearing any lower.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks.

What was the purpose of you going to a turbo front diff?

Do you have any belt temp issues? I was reading how rwb has been having issues, not something I want to deal with

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I don’t have a belt temp gauge so I have no idea. I haven’t broken a belt yet though. The XPT belts are a lot wider, I’d be surprised if an XP had enough power to break an XPT belt even with poor clutching.

I switched to the XPT diff to run the larger axles but in hindsight I wish I would kept my XP diff, it was dead quiet. My XPT diff has the “marbles in a can” noise I’m trying to deal with.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I forgot turbo's have stronger axles.

That sucks you're having issues.

Congrats on the new house, sounds like you picked a good one👍

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
I pulled the diff apart and everything inside looks immaculate, so I don’t think the noise is harmful, but it is irritating. The sprague, armature plate & spring retainer show virtually no wear. The wear inside the ring gear from the rollers is even & looks good. My diff has the shim below the pinion bearing but it can only be swapped on the earlier years(long explanation). I spoke with Sandcraft, they say for about $200 they go through them and do some shimming & machining. The price isn’t bad, I just haven’t decided yet if it’s something I want to do. The diff works 100% as is, so I’m a little hesitant to modify it although I do trust Sandcraft.

This is why I replace the carrier bearing every year. Although it “felt fine”, the grease was clearly becoming contaminated. We’re in a lot of water & mud and even the sealed bearings don’t truly stay sealed.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Could the noise from the diff be bearings? Crazy everything looks good but you're still having the issue.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Could the noise from the diff be bearings? Crazy everything looks good but you're still having the issue.
It’s actually a pretty common problem with the XP1K and XPT diffs. Has been since they released them in 2014. Those big straight cut gears are just noisy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It’s actually a pretty common problem with the XP1K and XPT diffs. Has been since they released them in 2014. Those big straight cut gears are just noisy.

🤔 I'll have to pay more attention, i haven't noticed any noise but I only have around 800 miles so far. My buddies 2019 xp4t has double thst and haven't noticed anything either, idk

I'll keep an eye on it though

301 - 320 of 352 Posts