Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently picked up a 16 1k turbo xp4. It's my first rzr so I'm not too familiar with how everything works. So it's got a 185hp tune, 32 inch tires, and I was told the belt and clutch where replaced 1000 miles ago and the previous owner said the clutch was set up for the bigger tires. I went on a ride and blew the belt so got the belt replaced and did maybe a 150 mile ride home pulled the clutch cover off and found out the belt was junk again. So I blew the clutches out really well and cleaned the clutches. Went on a trip to dumont and maybe put 100 miles on the new belt and its junk again. I looked at the clutches and it looks like the secondary isnt releasing all the way. Not sure where to go from here so hopefully you guys might be able to help.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of failures did you have with the belts? You say the second was junk, what did it look like?

Did you break in either belt? You need to scuff the clutch sheaves with some red scotch brite or the like and clean them with brake cleaner before you install a new belt, and then break in the belt for about 25-50 miles of low gear or low load riding, with varied RPM, and stopping to let the belt cool down every now and then.

Also, did you use the correct belt? The 16 XPT uses only the Polaris 3211186 belt, not the newer 3211202

The secondary doesn't "release", it's closed at rest, and then opens as you accelerate, if its sticking open, that's an issue for sure, but I haven't seen that happen very often with anything but catastrophic failure....

Here's how the operation should look with the machine off:

Clutches & Belts are the biggest can of worms on these things, and there's alot to be learned from many posts on the forum, so you may browse around and do some searches to see what all you can find too. Horsepower and bigger tires are also a belt worst enemy, but we find ways to make it work most of the time, just know that you have that added stress on the belt to begin with.

Post some pics of the clutches and failures if you can too, might make it easier to diagnose if there is a problem

PS: It's just an XP4 Turbo, or XPT4, it's not a "1K", that has been know to cause some confusion with the actual XP1000 models.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts