Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rzr got extremely hot the other day, and melted the bed right above the factory exhaust. Last night I was riding around the neighborhood, and when I got home I noticed the head of the exhaust at the manifold all the way to the muffler was glowing red hot. Any idea??

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
534 Posts
My rzr got extremely hot the other day, and melted the bed right above the factory exhaust. Last night I was riding around the neighborhood, and when I got home I noticed the head of the exhaust at the manifold all the way to the muffler was glowing red hot. Any idea??

Stock exhaust?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
red hot exhaust normally means its running too lean. do you get a slight exhaust backfire when you let off the throttle?
another sign of running to lean. If you changed the exhaust to a more free flow it could cause it to run lean.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,047 Posts
You seem to have had a plethora of problems since you purchased your rzr
Limited speed and you said timing was off and then chain broke
Are you sure you got timing marks all lined up properly?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've seen this happen plenty of times where the packing in the stock muffler completely plugs the spark arrester screen 20170420_091721.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You seem to have had a plethora of problems since you purchased your rzr

Limited speed and you said timing was off and then chain broke

Are you sure you got timing marks all lined up properly?

I’m positive! Could it be that my exhaust is leaking at the joint?? I don’t know if it it but I used to work at a muffler shop and I know those joints can be stubborn

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2018 RS 1 . Bone stock no spark arrester installed. About 60 hours on motor. I ask this question in the RS 1 forums and have not yet gotten a response. Any idea guys ?? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They all came with one and unless you bought the Rzr second hand and someone took it out it should be held in place by the screw in the end of the tail pipe.

It is required in most states. Maybe all for all I know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did the 14 have a cat in the muffler? I know the 15 did. Cut the pipe near the muffler. Remover the “honeycomb” looking crap and re-weld your pipe back on. Be sure to mark your pipe with a paint pen prior to cutting to ensure you weld it back exactly where it goes. Some good videos on YouTube. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
The 02 sensor is before the cat, not after so it wont know. But by removing the packing you now have a more free flowing exhaust. More air, less fuel=lean

·
Standard Vendor
1,437 Posts
This should give you an idea if you think your running lean. Pull your spark plugs and take a look, Coco brown good, white or ashy bad. Our fuel pump started going bad, but would only show up after several miles of running. Think it was a combination of a weak pump and the small filter sock on the end of the pump starting to clog up. replaced the pump and had the injectors cleaned. One was weak, but after cleaning both came up in volume and matched. Could tell the one that was weak because it showed on the plug. The stock pump is a Bosch unit and it is known that over time E-85 can compromise the seals in these pumps. They will start to by pass and drop pressure. Doesn't always show cruising around, but run it hard for awhile and it will....
Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. Will be taken care of that this weekend. I didn't like the night light coming from under the hood . Couldn't keep my mind off it after I was made aware of it. Not something I want to happen during my happy time on the trails.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts