Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

!2 vs !4 inch wheels

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,106 Posts
It's a loaded question, and it depends on a variety of factors. You're going to get a ton of varying responses, and it is possible none of them are applicable to your situation.

FWIW, we run 14's on all of our trail and race rigs, except in the dunes where we use 12" wheels with paddles.

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
I like the look of 14's and that rocks don't get stuck between the brake and rim like 12's can do sometimes. I mostly ride trails.

Jr

NorCal Jr.

·
Just kidding!
10,725 Posts
I think with the size of the brakes there using now and the increase in the size of the tires available on the market 14" are best. Like Jr said rocks get in between the wheel and calipers too easy. Even my stock polaris wheels have deep gouges inside the wheel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
NorCalRzr-S
4,996 Posts
I think with the size of the brakes there using now and the increase in the size of the tires available on the market 14" are best. Like Jr said rocks get in between the wheel and calipers too easy. Even my stock polaris wheels have deep gouges inside the wheel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I've heard of rocks doing some serious damage to 12" wheels

Posted by: Junior

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I run hard in trails with rocks. When running 27" and smaller tires I run 12" wheels. When I am in Moab etc and running 30" tires I run 14" wheels. You need some sidewall to avoid pinch flats and also to allow your tire to mold and form to the rocks. 14" wheels and 26" tires equals pinch flats in a true offroad environment. Both 12" and 14" have there place on a RZR offroad though. I would never run 30" tires on 12" rims at moab. I only run 5lbs of air and on a 12 rim with that much sidewall I would be asking for it. It also would never have the high speed characteristics that I enjoy. I would never drift a RZR xp4 with 30" tires and 12" rims at 40mph. However with my 14" wheels and 30" tires I do it all the time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Tight line, those sound like very good guidelines. Thank you for the insight.

Slowrzraz

·
Registered
393 Posts
were running both options now and i like the clearance and performance of the 14" better for my uses my 2cents

·
Registered
578 Posts
I chose the 14's as I run bigger than stock tires and gives me more choices for tires. I think tney look better and dont allow for the rocks to get stuck in the rims as easy. If I ran smaller than 28" tires then I would might consider staying down with the 12's.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Fourteens all the way

They sure look a lot better

Beside that they are way-better for high speed cornering

Not as much side wall give

My Twelves I had to grind my A-Arms cause of the rocks getting stuck in there and tearing up the rims

Do-Not have this problem with Fourteens

Bottom Line outa the Two Rim Sizes

I would take a Fourteen any-day over a Twelve

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run 14's because i like how they look. Altgough 12's with the same size of tire are lighter for more power to the ground.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
519 Posts
Its funny how this has changed. I remember looking for advice a couple years ago and everyone said run 14's if you're going for looks, run 12's if your going for performance. I'm guessing like others have said with the growing options of 14" tires we have a better selection now and arent limited to small sidewalls

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am having to switch to 15's due to the tires I just bought only come in a 15" rim. If it wouldn't be for that it would be 14's all day long.

This topic came up about 6 months ago and I got flamed on there mentioning the rock jamming issue with 12" rims. Most people said i was dumb and that never happens. I guess the attitude has changed a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

·
Registered
153 Posts
I run hard in trails with rocks. When running 27" and smaller tires I run 12" wheels. When I am in Moab etc and running 30" tires I run 14" wheels. You need some sidewall to avoid pinch flats and also to allow your tire to mold and form to the rocks. 14" wheels and 26" tires equals pinch flats in a true offroad environment. Both 12" and 14" have there place on a RZR offroad though. I would never run 30" tires on 12" rims at moab. I only run 5lbs of air and on a 12 rim with that much sidewall I would be asking for it. It also would never have the high speed characteristics that I enjoy. I would never drift a RZR xp4 with 30" tires and 12" rims at 40mph. However with my 14" wheels and 30" tires I do it all the time.
+1

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Stuck with the 12s all the way. 6500 miles on Bighorn tires with not a single flat thus far. Love the smooth ride with all the sidewall too.

Rest of the 12" lovers must be embarrassed, they voted but did not comment..

:popcorn:

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts
I like 12" wheels for the ride and the look. IMO off road vehicles look better with more sidewall. I have seen too many pinch flats with 14" wheels.

With that said I am currently looking for a 15" wheel for some 225-75-15 tires.

KCCO

1 - 20 of 76 Posts