Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Can anyone offer a legitimate explanation on why a fuel controller would be needed for an engine with only an exhaust mod? I have extensive car knowledge on big v8s and am aware how the air/fuel ratio changes with this mod and usually is lean. But in a big motor making 20-30 hp more vs this 2 cylinder making maybe 2-5 hp. I'm looking for hard evidence of back to back air fuel ratio changes adding exhaust only without a fuel programmer.
Simple..automotive closed loop systems monitor AFR and other parameters and make fuel adjustments automatically..SXS"s dont. Proof is in dyno or real world AFR logging. I run a wide band AFR and can tell you that there is a difference in AFR even with just a filter change...maybe not much but there is. All exhaust flow different and need thier own fuel curve. Some fuel added in one rpm area and maybe some taken away in others.
Understand that. The xp1k I have also has an oxygen sensor. So it should have a variance built in to the factory ecu. The older bikes, I understand use map sensors only which I would call closed loop speed density in the auto world.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Can anyone offer a legitimate explanation on why a fuel controller would be needed for an engine with only an exhaust mod? I have extensive car knowledge on big v8s and am aware how the air/fuel ratio changes with this mod and usually is lean. But in a big motor making 20-30 hp more vs this 2 cylinder making maybe 2-5 hp. I'm looking for hard evidence of back to back air fuel ratio changes adding exhaust only without a fuel programmer.
Simple..automotive closed loop systems monitor AFR and other parameters and make fuel adjustments automatically..SXS"s dont. Proof is in dyno or real world AFR logging. I run a wide band AFR and can tell you that there is a difference in AFR even with just a filter change...maybe not much but there is. All exhaust flow different and need thier own fuel curve. Some fuel added in one rpm area and maybe some taken away in others.
Understand that. The xp1k I have also has an oxygen sensor. So it should have a variance built in to the factory ecu. The older bikes, I understand use map sensors only which I would call closed loop speed density in the auto world.
Dont know where you got your xp1k but mine does not have a o2 sensor or does anyone else I know??

edit.. mine does now after I installed a wide band but did not from factory

·
Registered
478 Posts
How do you use the auto tune PCV feature from the Innovate WB? From what I've read, you can build a table to modify the fuel based on an analog input, but not actually use the "AutoTune" feature.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have auto-tune now and thats the way to go IMO. Not sure on the Inovative but I had a WEGO III years ago on a hayabusa and you could import the fuel cell changes into a PC from a data log so I would bet you could with Inovative also but I have never used one.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have auto-tune now and thats the way to go IMO. Not sure on the Inovative but I had a WEGO III years ago on a hayabusa and you could import the fuel cell changes into a PC from a data log so I would bet you could with Inovative also but I have never used one.
i had a bazzaz auto tune on mine. Couldn't take it off fast enough. not worth the extra money. Get a AFR sensor and tune it your self manually. The self tuners don't correct fast enough and they made some funky maps at low rpm. I went to a full stand alone ECU from vipec and i can't be happier.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I just got a tuned Magnaflow and man does it sound good and a noticeable difference on off the line acceleration did i mention it sounded great just like the xpk video took me 20 min to install direct bolt on....
Part # for the muffler?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Still happy with the new muffler? After some riding time under your belt, are the noticeable gains you initially felt still giving you a warm and fuzzy? I want something to wakew the motor up, but not be obnoxious under any circumstances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With over 11 xp1k at the red neck yacht club this weekend yes very happy with the exhaust still, and no matter how many 1000's the deep growl of the pipe always makes people wonder "what was that" its a little louder than stock but breaths so much faster with a low tone.. not like the other brand of exhaust that sounds like an 2 stroke 50 coming at you... And yes still as crisp as ever have about 400 miles on it now

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have the same muffler on my bike, and built the exhaust myself before this place made it an option. It gets louder though after more ride time and I'm getting annoyed on some rides. The. I out my foot in it and smile again. I did the muffler swap for about $80 cost on the muffler. I welded it on myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey EASIND, I didn't realize you had built these or when you started putting them out. I built almost the exact same thing only with the dual out, I kinda started a trend up here in canada with them, because like you said, it has the deep sound like a v8 does. It's amazing, I will post my video but it doesn't help with how good it actually is in real life. These mufflers sound better than anything the market has to offer.

·
Registered
8 Posts

[/URL][/IMG]

The video below is not the greatest, the first part is the stock exhaust and the 2nd is the aftermarket magnaflow. There's a rattle and it's due to them not bolting up the muffler cover and it was rattling.

·
Registered
444 Posts
While you might have used a magnaflow you did not use the same muffler we use, as ours was tuned by us to provide the correct amount of back pressure for the engine. We do not sell a $80 dollar muffler for $300 because we weld a few pieces on. our first prototype has 400 miles on it and have not noticed a change in DB levels at all..
More smoke n mirrors. Lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not what my customers are saying lol
I love the offer of a cheap slip-on. One thing I can assure, we have the same muffler because you are not big enough or can afford to have Magnaflow produce you a one off muffler. These are packed with fiberglass because that's the only way they make them. Yes, with time, the packing will break in and some will blow out and it will get louder. I sell and install their product weekly. I use them exclusively on a lot of my custom car builds too because it is a true, no questions asked, lifetime warranty on their product. $299.00 for this setup is right on par for a fair price, no denying that...but tuned muffler..go blow that smoke elsewhere.

Btw, welcome to free enterprise and the internet. The place where myths are dispersed quickly and if you want to survive you mold your business around truth, not smoke n mirror tactics.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well once again we have a want to be smart guy, allow me to introduce you to the intraweb were a self-proclaimed know it all can also learn a thing or two.
Let me start by stating once again WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME MUFFLER, unless you bought it from us and with only 206 of them out there that was easy to check you don’t. I never said that Magna flow created a one off muffler for us if you read the post it says “ours was tuned by us to provide the correct amount of back pressure for the engine.” And Let me assure you that intake and back-pressure tuning while not rocket science makes a big difference in how you engine preforms. The Stock Muffler was 8-11 PSI the muffler you are running a stock manga flow is 1-2 PSI ours is right in the sweet spot of 3-4 PSI now one might say that’s not that big of a difference but let me tell you, you’re valves think otherwise and without going into a long drawn out lecture on this point back-pressure provides the closing door effect on the valves, too much is hard on the lapping and makes the engine work harder decreasing the amount of energy that goes to wheel, and to little well ever heard of popping a valve? Well sure you have you have been installing custom exhausts for years, you know all about intake and exhaust pressures right. I am not going to get into a big 20 page argument on who’s is right an exhaust shop guy or an aerospace engineer. Those days are over at age 46 I am retired and put the knowledge that have accumulated into more meaningful things like building a better off road vehicle for discerning customers who want the best bang for their buck. If you want to attack someone go after the guys selling $200 in exhaust parts for $900 bucks now there some smoke and mirrors…..
i won't bust your balls too much on your terrible engine vocabulary but I will agree with you on the $200 in parts for $900 is pure rape.

I do know way more about intake and exhaust pressures...especially sound waves, scavenging and exhaust pulses. These pulses are dictated by the cam shaft lobe specifically the opening and closing points and ramp rates. If your valve springs aren't controlling the valve...the you get a valve beating up the seat and that's another discussion. I don't just build exhausts..I build combinations...perfecting the whole picture is how I've always ran my motors. The only way to provide more or less back pressure in a magnaflow muffler is packing. :rofl3:

41 - 60 of 62 Posts