Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The seal was finally delivered and I was able to finish up the trans today.
Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Crankset

Light Stairs Water Parallel Tints and shades

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Similar to the front, I added EBC pads, Rhino 2.0 axles and limit straps. I waffled on high clearance trailing arms and decided on leaving the stock ones for now. They’re on my future maybe list along with diff upgrades. We’ll see how it does first.

Here are a few observations from the shake down ride today where I ran a couple miles through all the gears and broke in the pads.

1)The halo sway bar is thicker than stock and I set it up on the tightest hole. This took away much of the wallowing in corners in comfort mode. Great upgrade so far.

2) I’m running (relatively) light 33s and was concerned losing bottom end and handling with the additional weight over stock. Neither came true. It handles just as well on trails and whoops - or at least a tilled cornfield simulating small whoops - and accelerates better in high gear. Mathematically it’s got a ~4% reduction from stock so in theory it should. I typically run <60mph so I don’t have a concern with any potential loss of top speed.

3) The Ace 325 and Ranger low gear reductions are amazing! I was always confused as to why Polaris chose to gear low and high the way they did as it seems like there is way too much overlap in the functional speeds. With the reduction it’s a different animal now, and low is good up to 15-18mph. It’ll go faster but is out of the sweet spot. High gear, as noted above, is slightly more peppy. In my opinion the Ranger low should be the factory gearing.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

That’s all for now. I’ve got two short trips planned, one forest trails and the other more technical, before Moab. If it’s as good in the wild as it was in the yard today I think it’s ready to go!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The seal was finally delivered and I was able to finish up the trans today.
View attachment 695167
View attachment 695168
View attachment 695169
Similar to the front, I added EBC pads, Rhino 2.0 axles and limit straps. I waffled on high clearance trailing arms and decided on leaving the stock ones for now. They’re on my future maybe list along with diff upgrades. We’ll see how it does first.

Here are a few observations from the shake down ride today where I ran a couple miles through all the gears and broke in the pads.

1)The halo sway bar is thicker than stock and I set it up on the tightest hole. This took away much of the wallowing in corners in comfort mode. Great upgrade so far.

2) I’m running (relatively) light 33s and was concerned losing bottom end and handling with the additional weight over stock. Neither came true. It handles just as well on trails and whoops - or at least a tilled cornfield simulating small whoops - and accelerates better in high gear. Mathematically it’s got a ~4% reduction from stock so in theory it should. I typically run <60mph so I don’t have a concern with any potential loss of top speed.

3) The Ace 325 and Ranger low gear reductions are amazing! I was always confused as to why Polaris chose to gear low and high the way they did as it seems like there is way too much overlap in the functional speeds. With the reduction it’s a different animal now, and low is good up to 15-18mph. It’ll go faster but is out of the sweet spot. High gear, as noted above, is slightly more peppy. In my opinion the Ranger low should be the factory gearing. View attachment 695170
That’s all for now. I’ve got two short trips planned, one forest trails and the other more technical, before Moab. If it’s as good in the wild as it was in the yard today I think it’s ready to go!
Curious if the alignment tool proved the inner clutch cover holes to be off the slightest bit? Your RZR looks good!

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Curious if the alignment tool proved the inner clutch cover holes to be off the slightest bit? Your RZR looks good!
Thank you!! I was expecting it to be a challenge to go back together but it was surprisingly easy to align everything. I snugged the three cover bolts into the engine then sent all the others home with very little alignment help from the pry bar. Do you see misalignment often?

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No we don’t. We’ve never used the tool on a turbo. It always measures at 10.5” center to center so haven’t bothered with the tool. Was just curious if you found different. The 1k’s are always off according to the tool.
With 7 fasteners through the cover and 2 going through the cover, motor and trans, I don’t think there is much room for slop. I’d venture that the tool/measurement isn’t even needed vs the older n/a machines.

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When I built my shop, I put in a door that my enclosed trailer could make it through (albeit barely). Good to go, right? Wrong. Shoulda went higher as the RZR on the utility trailer is about 2” too tall. I didn’t feel like unloading it to park the trailer outside so I pulled the valve stem cores and once inside I aired back up. Ill have to repeat the process when I get it back out. Shake down run #1 this Friday.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Aftermarket cage would fix that lol :p

Whens your 1st day in Moab? We leave Friday

Reactions: BondoMan

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Gotcha! I had mine made to fit me (6'3") no helmet in the rear. But only my kids or mom may ride in the back and they will be smaller than I for as long as I plan on having this one lol

Reactions: BondoMan

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
We are staying in Silverthorne, CO Friday night into Saturday and looked and they are calling for 3.3" snow 🤦‍♂️... I know it Colorado but COME ON! lol

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You have your own basketball team? 🤣
We do, or at least did. Unfortunately old age, kids, work and bad knees are catching up to me. Now I coach the next generation, and I’ve found they respond well to a semi-Bob Knight style. Surprisingly I haven’t had any parents complain yet.

Crowd Sharing Competition event T-shirt Event

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Completed shake down run #1 yesterday. The Yukon and new trailer did great on the interstate. The RZR….. All the mods I did work as I hoped, but I’ve got an electrical gremlin to hunt down. Occasionally the gauge pod would cut in and out, more often shortly after the tractor was started. I also had one incident where it wouldn’t idle, but after taking an ice cream break it did fine. Now, it shows 10.X volts on the gauge but a multi meter on each batter indicates 12+ volts. I’m going to check all connections and grounds first then move on to the isolator and fuses/relays if that doesn’t do the trick. Anyone seen something like this before?

Rant alert! As for the trails, I did Jackson Co WI. A dozen years ago when we started riding it was a narrow windy two track of former logging roads. Because of its “remoteness” and proximity to large population its popularity exploded. The trails have been flattened, widened, and straightened in the last few years. Rentals are everywhere too now. The weekends are very busy and accidents are common. So are deaths. Yesterday there were a lot of rigs out, and when my kids are saying people are acting like idiots, well, it’s bad. There was an accident that shut down a stretch of trail and when I asked if everyone was ok, the somber “no” from the firefighter at the detour was all I was going to ask with the kids in the tractor. I probably won’t be going back as there are much better, safer rides not much further away. Collectively, we as a group of riders are our own worst enemy. Rant over.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Glad you got to get out and shake that thing down!
We hit Denver and got into some snow. We knew it was gonna snow so we left at midnight and moved our hotel further down the road. But we made it over the pass and will get into Moab today!

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Glad you got to get out and shake that thing down!
We hit Denver and got into some snow. We knew it was gonna snow so we left at midnight and moved our hotel further down the road. But we made it over the pass and will get into Moab today!
Nice, post pics!!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
If you drive a diesel check out the app MudFlap. It’s been saving us anywhere from $0.05- $0.57 per gallon. You must use the big rig fuel station but it’s worth it!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Trips off to a bad start... Went out for a quick run down first part of steelbender and Dad's snorkel gear took a crap. Trying to figure out what to do, sounds like he may have to rent a rzr for a few days. I hate he's having these issues we spent all winter getting our rigs ready and something we couldn't have had any clue about ruins it for him.

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Pro XP 4
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Trips off to a bad start... Went out for a quick run down first part of steelbender and Dad's snorkel gear took a crap. Trying to figure out what to do, sounds like he may have to rent a rzr for a few days. I hate he's having these issues we spent all winter getting our rigs ready and something we couldn't have had any clue about ruins it for him.
Oh man, that sucks! Sounds like he at least got it off the trail ok? On the bright side, you’re at least in an area where rentals are available. In many places, the trip would be done. Are there any shops in town that might have parts and/or can repair it?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts