Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the colder mornings coming in, I want something to keep the direct wind off my face. I've read some about the dust and whatnot. Will the 1/2 windshield keep the direct blast out of my face...(5' 9" tall)? Will the 1/2 windshield be a good option for summer and fall riding? Likely get a full windshield for winter use.

Looking at the Cooter Brown half windshield that's thermoformed...and the Polaris L&R.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have no complaints here. Even saved me from getting hit by a couple of rocks that came up off the pavement. That little lip up top defelcted them over the top of the Rzr. I get some air in the cab which to me is the most important thing. Not so much my fiance though :) Most importantly when the dust covers it you still can see over the top. I just dont see how a full windshield would be any good while off roading.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no complaints here. Even saved me from getting hit by a couple of rocks that came up off the pavement. That little lip up top defelcted them over the top of the Rzr. I get some air in the cab which to me is the most important thing. Not so much my fiance though :) Most importantly when the dust covers it you still can see over the top. I just dont see how a full windshield would be any good while off roading.
D, So are you talking the Polaris L&R 1/2 windshield? I thought that was just a simple straight piece of junk clear plastic.....It's got a little lip on the front to whip the air up a bit?

H

·
0 Posts
I have the Polaris 1/2..might not would have been my first brand choice..but it was basically free..with that said I am suprised at how much wind it blocks,even above the shield with that little lip..matter of fact I pulled it off halfway through the last ride as it was too hot with it installed..the air was basically dead in the cab..I even tried raising it up about an inch...from now on it will stay off unless it is pretty cool out..
Granted I should mention I have all the under the dash gaps sealed up...that makes a pretty big difference in airflow..especially when the fan comes on and blast you with hairdryer like air lol..

·
Registered
178 Posts
D, So are you talking the Polaris L&R 1/2 windshield? I thought that was just a simple straight piece of junk clear plastic.....It's got a little lip on the front to whip the air up a bit?
That's exactly the 1 im talking about.

H

·
0 Posts
You might want to put something between that windshield seal and that pretty paint...it will scratch it to hell and back quick...ask me how I know :)
Another reason I moved mine up about 1 inch..with the sand that was getting in there after a few rides I would have had a nice paintless stripe.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to put something between that windshield seal and that pretty paint...it will scratch it to hell and back quick...ask me how I know :)
Another reason I moved mine up about 1 inch..with the sand that was getting in there after a few rides I would have had a nice paintless stripe.
So it's easy to lift it up a little bit and keep the bottom off the paint?

BTW: I like the heat coming into cab when it's 50 outside. Feels great. Thinking about a way to capture it under a light blanket velcro'd to the dash for winter use. Pull the blanket over your laps and the heat is trapped around you. Makes 20 degrees a bit more dealable :)

H

·
0 Posts
So it's easy to lift it up a little bit and keep the bottom off the paint?

BTW: I like the heat coming into cab when it's 50 outside. Feels great. Thinking about a way to capture it under a light blanket velcro'd to the dash for winter use. Pull the blanket over your laps and the heat is trapped around you. Makes 20 degrees a bit more dealable :)
Yep..you can position it pretty much at any height you want..it just clamps to the tubes..If you raise it I wouldn't tow over say 65-70 though as it will get a little bow in it..not being supported at the bottom. I towed mine raided at that speed and didn't have a prob..but you could see it bow some..
I hear you on the heat..probably won't be long I'll be undoing my seal up job..:rofl3: But during the summer it sucks...
I've thought about maybe adding some winter panels to better route that cooling fan air into the cab during the winter...just hasn't been cold enough yet for me to look at it hard..
You could even put the radiator fan on a switch so you could run it whenever you want...but you might want to have a coolant temp guage just to make sure you don't cool the engine down too much...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Looking at the Cooter Brown half windshield that's thermoformed...and the Polaris L&R.
The Cooter Brown windshield is made from Acrylic. EMP says Polycarbonate is the way to go in their video and description of their own line of windshields. Can anyone comment on either?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Cooter Brown windshield is made from Acrylic. EMP says Polycarbonate is the way to go in their video and description of their own line of windshields. Can anyone comment on either?
I've got a call into EMP for some info on the thermoformed shape deal. It looks really distorted from the pics online. But I don't know how much of it you actually look through. Maybe it doesn't matter and you look over it. I'm not that tall though, so not sure if you need to be 6'4" to see over it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I bought the polaris half windshield and really like the design, works well in deflecting cold wind and water but the crappy material its made of really sucks big time, if you get mud,dust or dirty water splashed on it and need to clean it off while your riding it scratches like no bodys buisness. The above comment about the LEXAN polycarbonate it very true...they do not scratch when cleaned on the trail which means you can see clearly when the sun shines on the half windshield instead of just luminating all the scratches and swirls from the scratches on the polaris one. Hope this helps :)

EDIT...you need the LEXAN Polycarbonate...scratch resistant.

H

·
0 Posts
I've got a call into EMP for some info on the thermoformed shape deal. It looks really distorted from the pics online. But I don't know how much of it you actually look through. Maybe it doesn't matter and you look over it. I'm not that tall though, so not sure if you need to be 6'4" to see over it.
You definitely need to be able to see through it..yes with the 1/2 if/when it gets real dirty you can look over it..but I wouldnt want to HAVE to look over it at all times..
Not sure what the Polaris on is made out of...but it is clear..not very cratch resistant though..I have my doubts that anything but real glass would be what I call scratch resistant...??

Edit..Aussie beat me to it...yes the Polaris one does scratch easily..

Polycarbonate is more scratch resistant?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The Polaris version is Polycarbonate per their specs in the accessory book.

H

·
0 Posts
Get one of these: UTV Tech and the 1/2 windshield will be VERY worth it... ;)

Looks just like the Polaris one with the addition of alum trim on the bottom?
Edit-ah...I actually clicked on the link after posting..lol..windshield stiffner...got it...I think I could make something to do that if the need arose..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made a 1/2 and full windshields using 1/4 lexan that is Hard Coated on Both Sides.

I just installed the Full Windshield, but I like the 1/2 windshield for the Spring and Summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the cold rides yes, mud I had to get rid of it, couldn't see without hangin my head out the side (not safe).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have ridden without a windshield for a bit. Even with a full face helmet. The wind hits in you the chest. Of course I am only 5'6", but it wasn't fun that way. Put the top and the 1/2 windshield in it. Now, the elderly land lady is looking for excuses to go riding with me. Takes care of the direct wind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts