Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I checked my compression today because I can't get my rzr to crank.. I made a gauge at work last night with a 0 - 1500 psi gauge that we put on hydraulic accumulators.. took both plugs out where motor would turn over easy and I got no reading on gauge.. I put my thumb over plug hole and its got pressure in cylinder.. shouldn't it b reading something even 10 psi?? Is there a certain gauge to use???

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
So I checked my compression today because I can't get my rzr to crank.. I made a gauge at work last night with a 0 - 1500 psi gauge that we put on hydraulic accumulators.. took both plugs out where motor would turn over easy and I got no reading on gauge.. I put my thumb over plug hole and its got pressure in cylinder.. shouldn't it b reading something even 10 psi?? Is there a certain gauge to use???
Can't use a 1500psi gauge to check 100-200 psi.
1500psi gauge probably won't budge at 150psi.
You need a gauge that only goes to 250psi and has a very short run of tube to the cyl, with a one way valve to trap the pressure. And then a way to release the pressure.

jmo

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Ya probably.
Thing to remember is, not to go by the exact number you get. It may not be an accurate number comparable to a snap on gauge, or any other gauge. Lots of variables between gauges. Tube length being one.

Any repeatable gauge results will be good to compare 1 cylinders to the other.
When there is a problem, or wear, most of the time both cylinders wear or get damaged very unevenly. So one cyl different from the other by more than 10% is a bad sign. If both are identical at 150psi, or 140, or 180, it shows there is probably not much if any wear or damage. Just a different way the gauges are reading the pressure. If you use 3 different compression gauges, its not uncommon to get 3 different numbers.The more expensive high end gauges tend to more similar in their final numbers.

jmo

·
Registered
278 Posts
Autozone will give you a free tool rental on a compression gauge - no reason to go looking for one.

Do you have dirt in the throttle body or intake tube?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno was goin to check comp. first. I've been having to add oil on each ride I ride maybe every other wkend.. it was like that when I got it but I only gave $5000 for it.. so I knew I was goin to have to do this sooner or later. It started running like plugs was fouled then I shut it off n barely got it back started. Then it was runnin like crap over half throttle so I pulled plugs n changed and its not cranked since..so I fig its the rings just wore out.. imma getta gauge tomorrow n see what it is then go from there ill post up what I find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts