Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as stated I have an '08 Standard 50" RZR with a little over 3000 miles. I ride the old girl pretty hard here in Colorado, and the last RZR Forum Ride at Taylor Park took its toll. When I returned home I knew I had bad brakes and blown shocks. I proceeded to replace the brakes and found them worn into the Metal part of the pad to the point of almost breaking off the mounting ears. WOW what a shock!

I also noticed the L/F bearing was bad as well so I pulled the left front side apart. What a mess! Well you would think that would be all wrong BUT when pulling it all apart I realized the Ball Joints were smoked as well. Like I said, Lots of hard riding for me.

I ordered new Bearings all around(Might as well replace the rears while I am at it). plus new Ball Joints from American Star Manufacturing. I payed $97 and change for all 4 bearings. and around $94 for all 4 Ball joints plus a little shipping on Monday. They arrived Today(Thursday) a day early. Gotta love it!!

I went out to the Garage tonight and replaced the L/F assy. and it went pretty well. The Ball Joints didnt want to come out but after a little penetrating lube and a BFH, they popped out. The new ones went in without a hitch. One thing I noticed with the Ball Joints is they have a "taller" end than stock. Not Higher, just more beef at the end. I like them. They seem well built. The bearings also seem well built and have plenty of grease in them.

WOW what a difference on the ground. The wheel stands straight up now, and I realized my toe is WAY off with the new Ball Joints. The old ones were so sloppy that I didnt notice how bad it had got. The right side should be just as bad when I replace it tomorrow.

Total time for me to do the Left side to include teardown, Beating out the old bearing, Replacing the brakes, Ball Joints and installing the new bearing and then re-assembly was around 2 1/2- 3 hours. I have never done this before on a RZR and did not have the propper tools for the bearing removal and install. I used a large Cresent wrench in the center to pound on to remove the old one. I then used the old race to install the new set with a BFH again. It went well.

Guys, If you have a problem with your allignment and you ride hard, Replace the Ball Joints!! The factory ones dont hold up. While your at it,if you ride in alot of water the Bearings might be toast as well. My inner side was all but siezed up! For the price I payed it was money well spent!
I will post up some pictures tomorrow when i take on the other side. The rears will have to wait till after the weekend. I have a Gunshow to work.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Rick, glad to hear you tackled the job yourself! 3000 miles worth of mountain trails is hard on these front ends. Oddly enough, it seems like one side takes a beating worse then the other. Mine happens to wear more on the right side then the left. Check your tie rod ends too!

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tie rods are fine, but thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I got into the Garage and finished up the front end today. The bearings were worse on the right side. When I removed them, they fell apart and were dry as a bone. The Ball joints were just as bad as the left side. THe brakes were worn down but better than the left. i also noticed the bushings are worn. There is a little play in the A-arms. Its not that bad right now so I will wait for a while on those. I have a new Delrin set but will wait till after the winter riding season to install them. The brake hubs were also slightly worn from the bearings being bad on both sides but I will wait to replace those till I have to. There expensive.

It only took me about 1 1/2 hrs. to get the right side done. It goes faster when you know what to look for. The toe on the right side is not as bad as the left but I deffinately need to adjust the end links. it looks like about 1/2" on the right and a Whopping 1 3/4" on the drivers side. Both needing toed in. Its amazing they are so far off and didnt chew up my Pitbulls. I will tackle the rears either Sunday night or the begining of the week. Well see. The rears promise to be easier but I better not get cocky or i will have problems.
I really hope this helps the ride. It was feeling like the RZR was dragging a weight and after seeing the bearings I know why. I should gain some performance due to no more friction slowing the rolling stock down. Time will tell. Stay tuned!

BTW, the pictures turned out like crap!!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Rick, glad you are finding things wrong related to your feelings about the lower performance and ride quality. When you are done, you will smile at the progress you made on repairs! I know I did. We ride at Cloud 9 Ranch, and ride with 25-30 RZRs on a regular basis. When I coach other guys about issues, it is amazing how many have sloppy front ends, and wiggly rear outer A Arm bushings. These things take a real beating on the Ozarks trails. It just goes with the sport.

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, Kind words. Thanks. I'm not new to repairing things, Just figured this would help others who have experianced problems as to where to look, and for the "Newbies" to see what goes into repairing one. Too many people (including Myself) forget to do regular maintanance on there RZR and dont realize what kind of toll this lack of care can have. I am fixing a used RZR that I ride hard and should have done more to it over the years.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I replaced mine last winter with about 2300 miles. I did add a grease Zert to the top of the ball joints so I can keep them greased. Hopefully they will last. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts