Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pictures, the new head is similar to the old one With a few exceptions . The intake track is bigger, spark plugs are more recessed, combustion chamber is different and cooling bypass line

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is, its very minimal, however I didnt check how manny cc's the head was.
The thing I like about this head is the extra cooling line, It works great for the garrett :)

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That head is a bone stock 2011, no flow bench or any kind of port work was done to it, and I did the turbo install

As far as intake the angle, it looks to be the same as the old head only real difference was the actual opening and intake manifold bolts. I would guess they are about 1/4" - 3/8" wider than the old head.
So any turbo kit that uses the stock rubber intake boot should be fine, turbo kits that have an after market one will require some modifications to work

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, I think it will be fine. I have a big bore motor in mine with zero cooling problems, I cant see that little turbo creating more heat than that:)

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
well, my stage 1 turbo would glow red hot... I put a heat gun on it once and it was over 700 degrees.
I think it will add a lot of heat to the cooling system.
I am not saying it wont work,, just something to keep an eye on.

looks good. the new head is great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
TSI kit will work on the 4,,,but,, it will need a few little mods on the intake, it wont come with clutching, o2 sensor, or a boost guage. Which are all items needed to make it run right.
Also the passanger side shock requires "Spacers"..And... if you want it water cooled like my wifes you will need a few more parts.
I had all of the above things lying around in my shop so it wasnt a big deal for me. As far as the tire clearance I put an "S" suspension on a stock width RZR running the smaller tires. So they wont hit the turbo.

So all in all, if you are handy with the tools and have a little knowledge of turbo's go with the TSI kit, Its simple and works well. Otherwise consider some other options :)

Oh,,power wise, its hard to say, they run well. I have raced a bunch of RZR's and quads with mine and have no complaints

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey that's looking good! we ran the GT1548 which came in the TSI kit, it's a good kit overall and that is correct you need to add the 02sensor and clutch kit yourself, with this type of turbo you might want to consider adding an oil cooler to it, the GT 1548 uses the engine oil to lubricate the bearing and sends that oil that is about 600 degrees back into the engine oil, also you can add a third injector to it if you don't have one that turbo runs very well at about 12-13 lbs with the correct fuel mixture, the horsepower is about 60-65 at the wheels at 12lbs nice build let us know how it runs when your done? :ride:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We took it out last weekend for a " test and tune". It ran good but still needs some tweeks. Seems like the exahust is a little restricting. Fuel was good and its pushing around 8 lbs of boost

My wife likes it, and she looks hot in it :)
will post pictures when its all wrapped up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
We took it out last weekend for a " test and tune". It ran good but still needs some tweeks. Seems like the exahust is a little restricting. Fuel was good and its pushing around 8 lbs of boost

sweet, cant wait

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
cooling the turbo would be great. over heating the engine would be bad.

:ride:
Wow....That's crazy. 700 degrees. Holy chit. Can't believe 600 oil is being dumped back into the system from there. Oil cooler sounds necessary for sure. Even with an oil cooler, you'll be changing oil more frequently I'm sure.

H

·
0 Posts
cooling the turbo would be great. over heating the engine would be bad.

:ride:
Wow....That's crazy. 700 degrees. Holy chit. Can't believe 600 oil is being dumped back into the system from there. Oil cooler sounds necessary for sure. Even with an oil cooler, you'll be changing oil more frequently I'm sure.
Yeah..not sure on the exact temp of the oil coming out of the turbo..but I am sure it can be pretty hot. I plan to add a cooler soon as I come up with a set up I like..got some ideas. One thing to consider though,it likely isn't as bad as it sounds, because of the volume of oil going through turbo...probably not very much oil volume flowing through the turbo...if it were the oil would probably be destroyed pretty quickly. I wonder if anyone has any before and after turbo kit oil system temps? Would be nice to see how much the overall oil temp increased. I was talking to Rayce at K&T about this just the other day...and like you said he suggests frequent changes especially without an cooler..but like you said even with a cooler you still need to change it more often with the turbo..

·
2011 RZR4
70 Posts

pull the baffle from the pipe I've had to take bolt out then step drill it to brake it free! 50% more flow!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts